Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Trans took a dump

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  Big Bore 
#1 ·
Less than 20K with billet forward drum, TC and triple disk clutches. I am nowhere in the HP range that should destroy this trans. Need to pull it and see what's up, but pretty sure it's the TC. When a TC goes, does it take other stuff with it?

#3 ·
mine took out two of the clutch packs when it went out but i didn help it by gettin pissed and holding it wide open for awhile w/ a trailer in tow while i pegged the tranny temp guage.:ford::D

#4 ·
I am planning to call ATO who built the trans tommorrow and see if the 24K warranty will transfer, the trans was in the truck when I bought it. I spoke with the builder over the phone a couple weeks ago about shift programming and he seems like a reasonable fellow. The real issue is he is in CA and I'm in CO. I have never worked on an auto before. It would be nice if the TC could just be replaced without having to tear down the entire trans, if that is the problem. This could not have happened at a worse time. I guess I should be planning how to come up with money for a BTS if the original builder doesn't come through. This is exactly why I have never liked autos, just unreliable. Dammit.

#6 ·
Hey Joey, do you beat on it? I have driven this truck sorta agressively since I got it, mostly pulling the hills hard and a few burnouts, but I thought it was built to handle that.

#8 ·
Yea, it was shifting nice coming out the gate of Ft Carson Sun night, right up until all the racket and no more go. At least the noise went away so I had heat and a radio for the two hour wait for a $350 tow.

Side note. Turning up the fuel to 75psi and installing 140v IDM made it run a lot quieter and smoother. Maybe it makes so much horsepower now that a super heavy duty billet 3 disk TC and Vasco billet steel forward drum cant handle it.:doh::mad:

#9 ·
Damn Frank. That does suck. I didn't think there was anything else I could have done to that tranny to make it stronger - except make it Frank proof. :poke:
Jim @ ATO is super cool and always helped me out. I'm sure he wants to know exactly what happened as much as you do. Hopefully it's only the TC. Let me know if I can help out on my end.

Glad to hear you finally installed the IDM and that it made a difference.

#10 ·
Damn Frank. That does suck. I didn't think there was anything else I could have done to that tranny to make it stronger - except make it Frank proof. :poke:
Jim @ ATO is super cool and always helped me out. I'm sure he wants to know exactly what happened as much as you do. Hopefully it's only the TC.
I have talked to Jim in the past and he seems like a good guy, so I'm hopefull something can be worked out on this. I will definately post it up.

Let me know if I can help out on my end.
Wanna come pick it up and take it over to R-C?LOL

Like I said, if I cant work something out with ATO it's going to get a BTS. My big problem is the timing of this, I have finals this week and next, and then annual trianing for two weeks with my unit, all in the field. Not to mention being completely broke.

#12 ·
Just got off the phone with the builder. Not good news. The billet forward drum, low stall 6stud billet front cover heavy duty bearing TC and three disk clutch was installed 22K ago. Buuuut, the rest of the trans was built in 2002, not sure on the miles since the paperwork lists mileage at 05055.1mi.. I didnt realize that when the TC and other parts were updated that the rest of the trans was not. The gentleman said he would "help me out", but the problem is I still have to ship it from CO to CA and pay to have the work done at his "helped out" price. My experience with "helped out" price has never been good, since it is ambiguous to start with, and usually ends up being full price anyway. After describing what happened he thinks it is the OD planetary gears. Apparently the TC/forward drum is indestructable, and since I can still start it that rules out the flex plate, leaving tranny internals. In any event this means It would be very expensive to ship to them and then pay labor, I'm guessing a couple thousand minimum, so I think I will call BTS and see if they can rebuild the trans using my TC and other components since they have a no bull#### warranty, not a "help you out" warranty. Dammit, hard to stay focused studying for finals while trying to figure out how to make money appear. Either way, I'm thinking BTS is my best option at this point.

#21 ·
The gentleman said he would "help me out", but the problem is I still have to ship it from CO to CA and pay to have the work done at his "helped out" price. My experience with "helped out" price has never been good, since it is ambiguous to start with, and usually ends up being full price anyway.

so I think I will call BTS and see if they can rebuild the trans using my TC and other components since they have a no bull#### warranty, not a "help you out" warranty. Dammit, hard to stay focused studying for finals while trying to figure out how to make money appear. Either way, I'm thinking BTS is my best option at this point.
Help you out of what? Your current financial situation into a worse one? I am leery of these things when they don't have a price they name. At the end of the day, he could say $6000 and it was rebuilt for you by 3 virgins who were naked at the time and that will increase trans lifespan by a factor of 200.

Last trans you pay for. I had it shipped to me and had my local tech install it for $200 after hours. IMO, BTS is the best option at this time.

#13 ·
I'd definitly give Brian a call. Awesome guy to deal with, and awesome in person.
You're in Colorado- Get ahold of Rockin S Performance. That'll be Rocky. He installed our BTS. Was actually the first BTS installed away from Lead Hill if I remember right. Rock is also an awesome guy to deal with.

#14 ·
I might give Rocky a call, cant seem to raise anyone at BTS. I'll do my own install, but I need to find out if my converter and forward drum can be re-used.

#16 ·
What is a BTS going for these days? I've been talking to the guy at ATO and looks like the converter is built from billet parts by a local builder, so I dont even think it can be re-used, or I should say I doubt BTS would want to re-use it considering their warranty. Lovely lovely day.

#19 ·
I have a 6.0 cooler, is that enough? The trans also has a MagHytech pan.

#18 ·
OK, just got off the phone with Brian. He thinks there is a possibility it's the xfer case, not the trans. Man that would be nice. He said the 99 xfer case is notorious for having problems. Unfortunately I wont be at my home where it's sitting right now until Fri. Dammit!

#20 ·
That's what they install, most people don't already have one.

They use a standard depth pan, but I'm sure you could use the mag-hytec since you already have one.

#25 ·
The one on mine is a magnetic in line filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.