Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Cracked block serial # - Track some S/N's

56K views 79 replies 37 participants last post by  Bobs 7.3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Lets try to get some kind of useful info going rather than pointing fingers.
If you have a cracked block in the webbing area post your serial number.
Do not post a broken block from a rod breaking as that is caused by the rod breaking.
If enough people post serial numbers we may be able to find the root cause a lil easier.

Tracking:
Aljay’s cracked block, build date of 12/97, S/N ?
444-4D’s cracked block, 1440799
JoeD’s 5023250, Cracked at # 2 main from the outer 2 main bolt holes, 88K miles. Engine date was Jan 12, 01.
BeastPowerX10’s,Cracked block#741797
Joe's aka CSIPSD S/N: U2U 4737501

#6 ·
Re: Cracked block serial #

NOW ! We're getting somewhere! :D
I really think it is just s SD thing...? !
I'm sorry there i go again.
BUt really a serial number comparison is where ot go with this it is no more than a casting flaw I would beg to reckon.

Lets try to get some kind of useful info going rather than pointing fingers.
If you have a cracked block in the webbing area post your serial number.
Do not post a broken block from a rod breaking as that is caused by the rod breaking.
If enough people post serial numbers we may be able to find the root cause a lil easier.

#7 ·

NOW ! We're getting somewhere! :D
I really think it is just s SD thing...? !
I'm sorry there i go again.
BUt really a serial number comparison is where ot go with this it is no more than a casting flaw I would beg to reckon.
OBS ! Mine broke from the drivers side rear pan rail up to the cam tunnel back down the otherside. I wish I would have writen the damn # down.
I heard it was more prevalent in the OBS trucks.

#22 ·

Cracked at # 2 main from the outer 2 main bolt holes and down toward the cam bearing. 88K miles
What year truck was that?
What I want to know is why in the sam hail do I have a 6284541 in my 97!!! I'm gonna go balistic and keil someone!

#30 ·

I had this truck for three years and never had no idea it was not a OBS engine till awhile back when I got curious and wanted to know the ser#.
I thought it was kind of funny having that high a number in a 97. That's why I am trying to get some feedback on what year it might have come out of. No way in the world to know if it was a reman or not. Gonna call Ford today and see if they can tell me anything.

#32 ·

I had this truck for three years and never had no idea it was not a OBS engine till awhile back when I got curious and wanted to know the ser#.
I thought it was kind of funny having that high a number in a 97. That's why I am trying to get some feedback on what year it might have come out of. No way in the world to know if it was a reman or not. Gonna call Ford today and see if they can tell me anything.
I guess the way I look at it is you either have an engine out of a newer truck or a reman/new engine was installed at some point. Doesn't really matter what exact year it came out of as long as it has forged rods. Externally the only differences are bolt ons. Pull the plug and look at the rods if that's what you are all worked up about.

#35 ·

I'm just starting to wonder if the block I got from IH was PMR or forged. Seems like I investigated this before and came up with forged, and IH did want the block serial # to source the part, so I'm assuming it was replaced with a forged rod block. Will the serial # give that info?

#44 ·

oh yea that's a must. i'll have em ready for ya in a couple weeks.
ha ha um... no thanks LOL i have 3 sets well 2 sets, and im not gonna do chit with them.
numbers
Cracked block#741797
(2 stock forged blocks)
1110193 & 1153522 these are just for chits and grins, they arent cracked, just sitting in my garage

#53 ·
Gotta pull the plug...

#54 ·
Just pulled the plug on my 02' which has a build date of 8/01 and the motor has a sticker of 3/01 on the valve cover. I was very excited to see that it had a stud with a nut on it. Forged rods are in my truck after all. Now I have a home for some performance parts that I have had sitting around for the last several months. Guess it did pay to check. Would have felt pretty dumb if I would have pulled it and it had forged rods in it..:pointlaugh:

#55 ·
You should go buy a lottery ticket...:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.