Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 headbolt install

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  HarleyEdition78412 
#1 ·
Can you safely replace factory head bolts one at a time with head studs without changing or damaging the headgaskets? Pull one head bolt and replace with a stud, torque it down and go to the next one? Figured I could do this now and save damage to headgaskets...

#3 ·
just becuase you haven't puked doesn't mean that your headgasketes arent on the verge of blowing..so you spend all this time installing studs one at a time and two weeks later you headgaskets go..what have you accomplished.

In my mind there is only one right way to install ARP's and that's with the cab off or the motor out..

try putting 245lbs of torque on a bolt that is literally up against the firewall.

Dont get me wrong, people have and will continue to do it, but its far from the right way.

#6 ·
just becuase you haven't puked doesn't mean that your headgasketes arent on the verge of blowing..
:whs: My truck only puked 3 times and only about a half a gallon of coolant total.. Yet when the heads were pulled off, it was obvious the gaskets had been compromised for quite a while...

There is no way I would go to the expense and trouble of installing studs without pulling the heads, having them machined and magnafluxed. IMHO, doing less would be a waste of good money....

#4 ·
I did it one at a time with the cab on and it was a huge PIA. If you have access to a lift pull the cab off. It is extremely difficult to torque the studs down with the cab on but it can be done. It is all up to you.

#5 ·
How hard is engine removal? I dont have a hoist but I do have bad gaskets so I need to act soon. I'll be getting an egr delete also. What else besides checking heads for flatness do I need to do or check? I want to do it right if the dealer wont.

#7 ·
i wouldn't do it. just like Abrannan asked, what do you accomplish when the headgaskets do fail?. i had to pull some heads inside the cab once because the truck i was working on had a welded rack that went over the cab and it was a PITA. talk about alot of cussing....find some place to pull the cab if you can.

#8 ·
if you are doing it yourself and not paying somebody to do it then what do you have to lose worst case senario you put the studs in and the gaskets fail anyway so you have have to lift the cab and change the gaskets the head studs are still good so you didnt waste any money you just get a little more practise working on your truck but you might get lucky and remedy a future problem before it ever happens ,whats wrong with that?

#9 ·
Yes I wouldnt do it, you should do it right its something you dont want to mess with and do it wrong, also just pulling one at the time, you wont know if the heads are warped or not. Most heads that I know that were compromised the heads are warped and have to get machined. Do it right the first time.

#11 ·
I say its your truck do it however you want to and don't let anyone discourage you if it something you want to try ;) many have done it this way- some it worked, some it didn't but if it doesn't work all you'll be out is your time :shrug: of course ideally pulling the cab wouldbr best but not everyone has access to the equipment or wants to pay out to do it the ideal way. If you're willing to do them one at a time while knowing the "possible" results then go for it and good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.