Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

No Start Issue

4K views 44 replies 19 participants last post by  stroken 
#1 ·
I finally got some videos for you all, i'll post them up when i get back from dinner. However yesterday as we were filming, we did what we needed to do, the oil temp got really hot, from 165 up to 230ish, and the truck seemed to run like total ass. Three minutes no more later, the truck seemed to unlock the TC, return to idle and just sputter out going down the road... I thought it was a HPO delivery problem, put more miles on the starter trying to restart it then i have on the engine.. Anyway went to get the gooseneck, thought what the hell lets try it one more time, it fired up, i didn't know it was in high idle, i kicked it down to std, and it stalled. So, what could it be?

#2 ·
check oil cooler for blockage.

maybe the block wasn't spotless AFTER it was filled...and any stalactites & stalagmites have mosey'd their way into the cooler passages...

that would explain the high oil temps.

as far as the no start...

buzz test, cps signal present when cranking (scantool confirmed?), and ICP while cranking are the only things needed to start a PSD.

(and compression) :D

#3 ·
Remember, i had to pull the engine, and rebuild it the "right" way? Yeah because of you :poke: but anyway i disassembled the cooler then, and then got all the extra sitting hardblok out, thats not the issue here... Normally the temps run 150-165, i just got on it reallll hard twice and they shot up quick.. I could tell the oil was aereating and the truck just ran like ass basically. I'll get my buddies IDS hooked up and see. I dont think it's building HPO, maybe IPR issue?

#5 ·
Oh yeah, a few times. Maybe 2 hours after it stalled, i cranked it before i put it on the trailer, figured it would be soooo much easier to drive it on instead of "how we got it on", it fired and went right to high idle, realized the chip was on that, i put it down to the std file and it sputtered right out. hasnt started since then

#7 ·
Uppdaaate... Well Golfer gave me some advice in a PM, basically whats said on here, and suspected the HPOP shaft to be not turning, the gear rotating around it due to the bolt being loose. So, drain the HPO reservoir (it was 2" low BTW), remove the cover, and tighten the bolt, it was tight i didnt move it but just enough to break the torque on it.. Cleaned the screen, reinstalled the cover, filled with oil hooked every thing up, go to crank it, it cranks for a second, maybe a hair more, and suddenly comes to a halt, the starter grunts and kicks out, and wont re-engage. Check the starter teeth, not loose no bad connections, flexplate is fine... 24mm socket to the front of the crank, it turns over but stiffer than i remember, then comes to a sudden stop.. go in reverse, get one revolution out of it, it stopped... and thats when the ratchet flung itself all the way across the shop... WTF?

#9 ·
Thats the thing. What baffles me is that it still cranked over even without starting. Once i get a chance to dick around with it again i'll mark the damper and see if it moves 1.0 revs before it binds, or if it moves .85 revolutions, as if something was in the gears, or it wasnt aligned, etc. Never took the HPOP off for refernce, just the reservoir and examined the gear

#10 ·
Started out this morning, marked the damper and flexplate with chalk at the point where it stopped, then moved the crank around to where it stopped again... I saw where it was .85-.95 revolutions of the crank, i know the HPOP gear spins at .85, so i removed the HPOP gear, the engine still locked up.. Removed the damper and oil pump, still an issue. So, the motor came out, it's just a afternoon project at this point... Pulled the oil pan, and there was an oil jet bent up but in the inlet of the oil pickup, came from cylinder 5. removed all the glow plugs and eliminated the problem of a hydraulic lock, or broken off glow plug tip. There is still an abrupt hault to the movement, im going to pull off the front cover tomorrow and see if the cam retaining bolts are in tight, and check out stuff in there, as all the rods, piston and crank look normal as ever...

#13 ·
Well, i found out the problem, it's going to be a little more expensive than i thought. :doh:

I was working on the engine and something caught my eye that #4 exhaust valve was higher than the rest, hmm, so i pulled the head, and sure enough the valve seat was sitting there on top of the piston. The inital crunch where it stalled the starter had to come from the large part of it imprinting itself into the piston, my nice new custom 15:1 pistons, i hope i can get just one to replace it, phuck me if i gotta buy a whole new set and rebalance everything. Do you think it could have hurt the rod, when i did this CRANKING and not running? I am going to examine the valve and head a little more, i have inconel valves and don't know where they came from or how to get more, so i hope it's alright.

I guess it happened because of the extreme heat, really the first time that i got into it, not even in the highest setting, and this valve seat decides it can't hold the heat. I dont know what to do here, im getting tired of this extremely expensive hobby im paying on and cant even use and have fun, im considering fixing it, selling the go fast stuff and just getting a forged rod shortblock, and some hybrids? :postwhore2::(

click on the pic for more

#14 ·
sorry to hear about the down fall Kris..she had a mean sound to it..where is the pic to click on??

#16 ·
lol..i see it now..man what a mess... that sucks..all that time and $$ for 3 fast rides...i wish you the best of luck on getting only the parts needed...that will suck if you need to start over..

#17 ·
Kris, that really sucks. Was hoping to see some good numbers from your truck.

#18 ·
I thought something sounded funny in the clip where you were cranking it.

#27 ·
Are you going to pull the other head and have something done with the seats in it? It would really suck to have one head fixed then have the same thing happen in the other one. Could have been a fluke for that one valve to drop the seat, but I'd be one that would play safe on this deal.

#29 ·
Gunthers?

I cant remember did we take them there the first time we were building it? Or just assume they were good from the first motor? After second thought theyre off the blue motor arent they?

#32 ·
Ive seen enough cummins conversions when I was down at BTS, and looking at those I could never see why anyone would want to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.