Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4.10's or 4.56's

6K views 67 replies 17 participants last post by  motoxracer42 
#1 ·
hey guys im contemplating between 4.56 gears and 4.10 gears. i had 4.56 on my last truck and i liked it but it was a gasser so idk. im on 325/50/22 tires and i think its the same as a 35" tire. im trying to get my truck faster but mainly i want to do it to help with the high egt's while cruizing. what do you guys think would be better.

#3 ·
Im going with 4.56's in my 06', It will really help on the take off and when you tow or drive in the mountains. If you where going to go bigger rubber then 4.56 would allow you to go. 3.73's to 410's is only one more tooth and thats alot of money for just that. Besides 4.56's will be grate once I get you out to the truck pulls:poke:
I called West coast Diff in rancho cordova and its 1500 to go to 4.56's and it takes just a day.

Did you get your turbo back from Elite yet?

Nathan.

#4 ·
4.56's?? thats wayy overgeared. 4.10's is even overgeared. i had 37's with 3.73's and NEVER had a problem with egt's when i was running 300cc b-codes. IMO re-gearing your truck is a waste...

oh and dreadnaught, you do realize 315 has nothing to do with the height of a tire...its the width...my 33's are 325's which equals 13.5 inches wide...

#6 ·
The 3.73 should probably help keep the temp down cruising, getting up to cruising speed is where it would be warmer i would think. The 4.56 gears are going to leave your RPMs wrapped up higher at cruising speeds. I have 38's with my stock 3.73, i am doing just fine on EGTs with them. makes it kinda nice cruising around 70mph (according to my uncorrected speedo) at around 2k rpm.

#9 ·
my temps are high because of the size of the wheel on my turbo. i need the revs lol. thats why im comtemplating. i run 1000 degrees minimum down the highway at cruizing speeds. elite says to regear and my friend who teaches auto classes says i need to regear and it would help alot.

#11 ·
In that case i would only go to 4.10s still. If you go with 4.56s you wont ever want to get on the highway, Your motor will probably be screamin at 70 or 80 mph. Although you do have an extra gear in your tranny over mine and your motor red lines a little higher than mine, but i still think 4.56's wont let you cruise at highway speeds.

#13 ·
I know I wouldn't want to run 38's on 3.73's in a 6.0... certain speeds are SOOO annoying... and doesnt the 6.0 have a bit less bottom end?? Now... 35/36's would be fine IMO... but I drive alot of back-roads and highways... it's hard to run around 50-55 without stupid shifting patterns.

#15 ·
I would go at the most a 4.30 because I run 4.56's with my 38's and at 70 MPH or so I am about 2300 rpms. So I wouldn't go with that low of a gear cause like as said before if you get on the highway it will be screaming. It will take off like a bat out of hell though.

#19 ·
yea lol when i had 4.56's on my chevy i put my stock tires on and tried to drive down the highway. i was revved out so bad and i was only going like 70 lol. they were fine with the 36's though. maybe ill go 4.30 then. im not gonna leave mine in.

#20 ·
I have run 37" tires with my 3.73 gear for numerous sets. Only problem is traction.

And fwiw, I don't think anyone realizes that something like a 4.30 or a 4.56 would be SLOWER out of the hole..... not faster....

A super low gear requires a gear change before the turbo even lights each time. Not the best idea.

I would love to catch somebody running 4.56 gears with 37's or 38's out on the road and show them what some 3.73's are all about when I came by with smoke billowing off both rear tires...

#22 ·
Boost/traction.

The boost will come a bit slower, and when it does come, traction will leave. It turns the onset of power into a sharp hit, instead of a smooth build.

How many fast diesel drag trucks do you see running 4.56 gears? Now how many are running 3.55's or 3.73's?

#23 ·
Charles, Your 3.73's and what huh what tires do you have stock !!! 3.73's arent gonna turn 38's that well I KNOW FOR A FACT, Stock height trucks ya 3.55 and 3.73 are fine but your talking about tire difference and weight, width etc If your running bigger tires you should regear, and people will tell you that, its better in power transfer through the tranny to the ground and less pain to your trans. You need that gearing to turn the wheels better. I'm running true 38 inch tires, with a 64mm Turbo, 190's etc etc and till I dont spin tires as eay as you think.

#24 ·
I'll keep that in mind next time I lay down 2 to 300 feet of double stripes on 37" tires by merely rolling on the throttle...

I've been running a mix of 35's 36's and 37's for the past 7 or 8 years on this truck.

Don't really see anything changing anytime soon. I run 3.73 for a reason. I've replaced the rear gearset twice, and the front gearset once.... even though I payed for new gears, 3.73 is what I put back....because it works best.

My truck has between 320000 and 330000 miles on it now. I think I've logged enough seat time to know it's gonna be okay. We have a dually with 4.10 gears.... I can't stand to drive it. We also have a 550 with 4.88's..... that truck is about 95% worthless because of it too.

Overgearing a diesel is a rookie move. It's gasser mentality. It really has no place here.

For a 38" tire, I would (and have) run a 4.10 gear. For 40+ inches, 4.30. For a 37" tire I might run the 4.10, but it's a toss up. 4.30 or 4.56 isn't even a consideration with anything sub 40 inches tall.

If your truck feels slow with a 4.10 and 38's you need MORE POWER.

#25 ·
charles in a normal situation i would tend to agree, but these 6.0's have NO power down low liek the 7.3 does. 3.73's with my 37's was downright awesome...but it makes me wonder with how sluggish these 6.0's are if its even worth lifting it on stock gears. i would say 4.10's max. but thats just me...

and fwiw i own both a 6.0 and 7.3 so my opinion isnt biased...

#29 ·
well I have 3.73 with toyo 37's and driving up in the hills sucks with these gears.I talked to a guy who does gears for a living and we calculated 4.56 with 37's and the O.D ratio in the trans-70mph is 2099rpm. thats not that bad.I end up towing 8k to 12k so I will take this trade. Right now when Im in overdrive my rpm's are 1500 and egts are 975 to 1000.This is with the truck untuned driving around. So I would say that for a 6.0 that gearing would help this turd out in a 8000lb truck.

#30 ·
my 4.30s have done nothing but help my truck on low end have NOT hurt me at all with highway speeds nor breaking the tires loose and leaving strips up to 300ft long. on a 6.0 if you worried about your low end you have the wrong engine.

in my 7.3 i was on 38's and was geared with 4.56's and that was a bad choice (like charles said) the 7.3 does not need gears till at least 38's or 40's.

anything lower WILL be hurting highway mpg on 37s until you go bigger on tires. and 4.10s are not worth the money for such a small change.

#33 ·
yea well i guess that narrows it down to 4.10's or 4.30's. my turbo just really likes the higher rpms. the converter im getting is a 2300 stall lol. im putting my intercooler on tomorrow so if that helps alot i might not regear. im just worried that 4.10's might not be low enough to make much of a difference. i have a guy here that will do mine for 1300 front and back but i hate leaving my truck with random people to thrash it so i think im doing it myself with help from my friend.

#36 ·
So all and all what would be the choice for a toyo 37" that measures 35.5" tall?
4.30 or 4.56? I am going in next week and I want to get this right the first time. Also I will most likely stay with this tire size if that matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.