Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Smokey Reds 8.9L Cummins Superduty

31K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  smokyred 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Looks like he does, custom piece of frame under the engine

That's awsome! I would like some more info!

#4 ·
It is not mine. :doh: It is my Boss' though. :D And it is THE ULTIMATE TOW PIG! With the old motor with a 450HP factory Cummins tune it would pull pretty much whatever you could get on the trailer as fast as you wanted. The truck and matching gooseneck gross ~23k ready to tow.

And that is the old L-series, the new one is CR and has Jake brakes on it, we actually just got it running again a few days ago.

The list of custom mods is nearly endless, I'll have to get new pics up of everything.

But the basics are: '01 F350, 36,xxx miles, 8.9L CR Cummins, 350HP for now, Allison MD3060(6-speed auto), custom Atlas transfer case, Dana 135 rear axle, custom front air ride, custom Ridewell rear air ride, air, full hydraulics, ~70 gallon aux. fuel tank under the rear of the bed, ~15 gallon hydraulic tank under the toolbox in the bed.

We just put the new motor in it, along with doing a bunch more stuff to it. Seeing as we have to pull the cab back off to get the Jakes working, I'll snap some good pics of the transfer case and where the frame is boxed in at.

Those pics actually don't do it justice, it is alot cleaner underhood now and those pics were taken when the truck was "dirty". It is always kept washed and clean, hence the nickname "Precious".

Dave

#6 ·
Ahhhh

you stole my idear! ha ha ha ha i was dreaming of an older ISL slightly built :)

but seriously... NEED MORE PICTURES please :)

#11 ·
Maybe if you had the idea back in 2002 when the first ISL went in. :D No need to build it, we can get Cummins fire truck tunes for this ISL for 600+hp. :evil But the CR at 350hp is already stronger than the old CAPS ISL at 450hp.

We got this motor out of a coach that we refit for Euro emissions.

I'm headed to the shop today to work on my truck, I'll get some pics of the new motor and more of underneath.

Dave

#7 ·
Thats gotta be crazy with jakes on a F-350!!! That thing must get looks when you flip the switches for the jakes on a down grade with a trailer behind you.

#9 ·
What's the 8.9 out of? Just curious. Looks like an interesting swap.

#17 ·
No problem, just leave a signed, blank check stashed in the cup holder, the motor and trans easily cost 20-25K together before you even get them off of the pallet. ;)

Dave

#16 ·
Yes, the firewall has to be "adjusted", nothing you can't cut in 15 minutes though. And you do lose a little bit of defrost to the Driver's side, but it's not like this truck's ever really needed the heat to defrost the windshield.

The lift is the key to fitting the motor under the hood, allowing room for the drop crossmember under the oil pan.

Oh and no pics, my camera batteries were dead again. I think I need some new batteries.

Dave

#20 ·
oh yeah and the guys with 6.0 complain about pulling the cab to do head gaskets. ya got lift the cab just to get the valve cover off of that thing!!!

Its definatly a nice ride

Travis

#21 ·
LOL We pulled the cab again the other night Travis, about 2 hours for 2 guys.

I'll get a video of it, the whistle is killer, and it smokes! :ford:

Dave

#24 ·
Videos???

#27 ·
No stack, 4" straight-pipe at the stock exit, we like to be able to hear after we tow something, this thing would be LOUD stacked! Way louder than a 5.9!

It got put to bed before I could get vids, :doh: but with planting season almost here I'm sure it'll be back out. My boss is a bit of a freak about keeping his stuff super clean, so he doesn't drive it much.

It got 12-14mpg at 23k-50k gross with the old motor, should be better now with the HPCR and VGT turbo. It's had 30k+ on the deck of the gooseneck it pulls, but it's not your average gooseneck! :D Truck and GN are 23k combined empty.

Dave

#28 ·
im working on putting a 5.9 12 valve in my 1990 f350 with a 13 speed but i want a jake, and i dont mean one of those butterfly valves in the exaust either. i'm thinking about trying to swap out the 5.9 someday for something with a jake but the smallest cummins with one is the L10. i know it will fit the tranny but my question is can you get it with a jake and mechanical injection or is there a cat motor that would b the same and maybe a little smaller? with the sae bolt pattern you could probaly lay the engine over a little like the old slant 6's and still have the tranny upright. just need to make your own engine mounts

#29 ·
The 8.9 is an L-series, it's smaller than an L10, but not much smaller. Either one will be a very hard fit into the OBS bodystyle. The L-series comes with a Jake and I would bet you can get them with mech. injection too.

I'm not sure on the Cat's on the smallest that comes with a Jake.

This is by no means a job for the faint of heart, the cab will not go unharmed!

Good luck! :ford:

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.