Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What causes a TURBO FART ? ? ?

24K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  shawnb99 
#1 ·
Some days , mostly on a cold start , I'll get a healthy fart de-accelerating after tickling the skinny peddle .

What causes it ? Where is the turbo pressure escaping ?

#2 ·
It releases back through the intake. Nothin to worry about

#4 ·
normal especially on sick 0s

#8 ·
I doubt it actually gets to spinning backwards but it puts a pretty big force on the wheel (and shaft/bearings) in the opposite direction. This is one of the reason for blow off valves to release this reverse pressure before it hits the turbine wheel.

Thing I don't get with mine is that it doesn't seem to do it if I boost up to 20+ and then just yank my foot out of it. However when moving easily up the driveway and having maybe 10psi or less it seems to do it. I have seen some other 6.0's do this too when coasting around the pit lanes and such.

#11 ·
Mine makes the noise, doesn't have a throttle plate

#15 ·
it will no turn your turbo backwards. Every compressor is designed with a certain amount of lift that it can achieve. lift is basically pressure differential. when your turbo spools, it builds pressure on the discharge side and as strange as it may seem, the suction pressure rises too.. when you let off the throttle, the discharge pressure and suction pressure are to far apart. The higher discharge pressure forces its way around the impeller and guide vanes and you get that farting/burping sound. All Cetrifugal compressors can experience this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.