Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Got this Invoice (repair)

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  rock_doctor 
#1 ·
My father asked me to check on this.

It says Customer states check engine light on. No start cold starts hard to be plugged in. ECC tested P0611 FICM =all inj codes= TSB 08-26-3. Need to start with New FICM. May fix all problems with cold starting. Need to replace FICM and retest cold, may still need injectors. Had codes for MAF sensor. Tested for power and found 4 broken wires. Repaired and road tested and MAF working.

Question is: Does this sound right? He has the Ford 200k mile warranty and states FICM doesn't cover it. And there not 100% sure its the FICM. Can I get some input on this cause my father is feeling like its not right.

See less See more
#4 ·
The part about the FICM is dead on, when a FICM fails it throws a 611 and contribution codes for all cylinders, so thats right.

He may also have a few sticking injectors, thats not uncommon, they are just covering there ass by saying that he MAY need injectors, in case the FICM doesn't fix it. IF a few injectors are sticking when cold it may be due to the fact that the FICM was weak and could not send enough current through the injecors to free up any sticking spool valves (if there are any).

$192.50 is a little high to diagnose a FICM, it only takes about 5 minutes lol.

Other than the high labor, yes, this seems right

#9 ·
$192.50 is a little high to diagnose a FICM, it only takes about 5 minutes lol.

Other than the high labor, yes, this seems right

I disagree with that statement. To get an idea of wether you need a ficm or not may take about 5 minutes, but not to properly diagnois it. You may wish to actually read the tsb.

To the original poster:
The dealer charged you accordingly. $200 is decent, probably equals about 1.5 diag, and .5 to repair your maf wiring. (depending upon labour rate)Considering a general abs or eec diag is 1.0hr its decent. If the tech completed a diesel diag sheet for you then thats a bonus.

#5 ·
after my incident with the dealership i dont believe anything they say lol i figure they are just trying to make some money instead of being a good honest person.. like they arn't gonna make any money off you with 100+ and hour for labor lol and its hard to find a good diesel shop.

Good luck to you but it does sound like a FICM.

#13 ·
Just seen a brand new one sell on ebay for $355 not more than a week ago and I consider that to be high on there :shrug:

To Sonic and Stroker- Unfortunately there's no way to prove either one of you right. No one stuck around to see what exactly he actually did. I honestly believe that either one of you could be right- depending on what the tech actually did. I know when I had my ABS light and codes shoot off a few months ago I honestly feel that they didn't do the diagnostics they were supposed to do for the codes my truck threw. But what you going to do- it was under B2B :shrug: But now that it's into the ford ESP where I have to pay $100 each incident they will be covering all their bases :evil

#12 ·
Agree with sonic blue. The codes lead U to ther ficm but to be 100% accutate U need to do some basic checks. Definitely in line in my Mind also.

#14 ·
I would pay the bill and take the truck home. Order him this http://tiny.cc/1Cj92 (or search on ebay for ficm) then follow their directions. You basically send them the old ficm and they program the new one to match you truck. Then he can install the reman one once he receives it. Any diesel shop should be able to do this, these type of control systems are common on all diesels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.