Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

truck is down again

11K views 89 replies 34 participants last post by  Marty 
#1 ·
no doubt. something fell out of another truck I was following and couldn't swerve. It bounced around and I felt it hit under my truck. It broke the filter. Sprayed diesel everywhere.

Ordering from ITP in the morning.

#3 ·
i feel for you. I started out replacing the rear shocks, found a frozen brake caliper, and now i just found a broken leaf spring. I'm trying to put her back together

#8 ·
I guess the good thing is that it forces me to do my final upgrade which is the complete fuel system with bigger lines and what not.

I had the stock fuel bowl just fitted under the truck with bigger lines then factory with dual stockers.... but now I'm going to even bigger lines and 2 filter bases pre then post pump filters....

#11 ·
Thankfully it wasn't done already and you don't need to replace the new setup.

Dude, a good guy like you should have some better Karma.

#9 ·
marty, why not go to one big pump like a fuel lab? that way you dont have to plumb in two different pumps. i ran 2 stockers in parallel and in series, they wont keep fuel pressure up. after talking to charles, he says the fuel lab at 1/2 speed will support his 64x rwhp so thats good enough for me...

#13 ·
It'll stay in the Drag3b file.... my luck HAS to change, doesn't it?

haha.

Luke, I like the idea of having 2 pumps. If nothing else I might end up getting a pump like the fuel lab, walboro, etc... and plumb that in with one of the stockers. In case one goes out I'm not stranded. I have a fuel pressure gauge so if the pressure drops with the larger lines, I know where to turn to.

#14 ·
Ordered 5/8" pickup tube and Aeromotive Regulator.

Going to get the filterblocks and filters now.

#16 ·
Been that way ever since I bought the very first turbo.... the TN BB.

5 turbo's, 3 injector sets, 2 motors, 1 built transmission and all the other one-off's have added up to way more then the truck was purchased for initially :doh:

#18 ·
Thats a pretty short list of parts lol:doh:

I hope the dual pump setup works for you, it was just a huge pita for me. if your running one pump to each head and returning through 1 reg id suggest putting some type of check valve infront of each pump that way if one quits it wont backfeed through the dead pump.

#17 ·
Marty a big pump will not leave you stranded. I drove from the north side of Somerset PA back to Morgantown with 0 fuel pressure. The pump was locked up.

#21 ·
It's the last upgrade besides rods/blockfill I can do to the truck power wise since I don't want compounds...

it was going to happen sooner or later, just happened sooner then I wanted. It was scheduled for 2 weeks after this Saturday....

#24 ·
The larger line is only needed pre-pump, where the only pressure you have to push the fuel through the line is atmospheric. Post pump the pressure will be over 5 times what it is pre-pump. Requiring less line size to support adequate flow.

Although, one thing to note, is that the 5/8" (-10) suction line from tank to filter has more flowable area than the two 3/8" (-6) lines from filter to pumps combined.

Both -6 lines together would still only support 71% of the flow the 5/8" line ahead of the filter would.

Although the -10 pickup should support more flow than required anyway, so it is not a case of the -6 lines being undersized, but of the pickup being oversized. Which is obviously not a bad thing. There's really no such thing as oversized on a suction line.

#26 ·
Pick copied and saved. Fuel system to be copied and installed. Probably with a single pump like Charle's though. And a cage built around the filters.

#27 ·
And a cage built around the filters.
I was thinking the same thing, then again it is my luck for stupid freak stuff like that to happen.

Anyway... the Aeromotive gauge and intake pickup tube are scheduled to be here April 7th.

My Aeromotive regulator should be here Thursday April 2nd.

Napa should have my filter blocks and filters in either Thursday or Friday. Looks like she won't be done for this weeks pulls!

#28 ·
Someone asked what the part#'s were, here you go.

2 Napa Filter Bases - 4770 - $36.42
Dual inlet and outlet 1/2" Female NPT.

1 Napa Fuel/Water seperator - 3405 - $19.99

1 Napa 2 micron Fuel Filter - 3528 - $16.33

Total: $115.71

Fleetguard sells the same filters too, which I get a discount on.
3405 = FS1212
3528 = FF5320

#33 ·
This just confirms my concerns for the 4 filters hanging under my truck. Since I use my trucks for hunting and light off roading I have been looking at ways to relocate or shield the filters to prevent exactly what happened to you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.