Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

did i get what i paid for

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  POWERSTROKER 
#1 ·
The local Ford dealer just had my truck. (it was smoking bad and losing power) The day i dropped it off they called and said a code for the EGR valve and cooler came up along with a blown turbo code. They had the parts in the next day and the truck was fixed by 5:00 that afternoon. I thought the EGR and turbo took some serious hours to tear out and install. How long would this job usually take for a dealer mechanic? Im just making sure they aren't trying to screw me over saying they did all this work but really didn't.

#2 ·
Code for a blown turbo? Thats a new one.

I know theres a code for the VGT actuator (at least Im pretty sure) but a code that tells the dealer the turbo is blown?

I've got muffler bearings for sale...

#3 ·
It probably had a code for turbo over boost/under bosst and they performed the turbo charger boost test and the vehicle was not making the proper amount of boost fot the test. But there is not such code for the cooler being blown there might have been a egr valve code such as a p0404... How many hours did the charge you? What parts did they replace? EGR valve,turbo,and egr cooler?

#4 ·
they can take off the air inlet piping on the turbo and check the bearings by hand, and do a test drive monitoring boost and drive pressure. All these things could point to whether or not the turbo is bad. The turbo really shouldn't take all that long to change out either. A couple hours at the most.

#5 ·
:whs: it doesnt take long to pull the turbo I would say maybe 3 hrs or so, and thats being my first time pulling it out. As for the EGR valve its only held in by 2 bolts man and just slides out. I think your fine as long as you didnt pay like 3000 or something lol.

#8 ·
Easy with the name calling there puddin.

I was stating that if the dealer told you they saw a "Blown Turbocharger Code" and you believe it, I have muffler bearings for sale.

Its friday, relax.

#9 ·
Your a little new to be calling names there BOY! Settle down, dont get your panties in a bunch. We after all are helping you with YOUR problem, its not or issue!

#10 ·
Chrome have a little sense of humor, as well. This site is very laid back and relaxed, it seems to me it was a type-o. For future issues dont take it so seriously. All he was saying was hopefully the dealership wasnt BSing you and telling you a fake code you know.

Powerstrokeinc do you mean (its not our issue ?) :eek: :pointlaugh: :poke:

#11 ·
It would take me about 3 hours to replace all the things you listed.

just giving you a idea of about how long it would take

#16 ·
You'll figure out eventually,if you havent already.Charles is a douch bag.Out of ten of his post one will actually have some decent information!The other 9 are him telling you your truck,turbo,parts are junk and your a idiot.He knows EVERYTHING there is to know about Diesel Motors! Just Ask him! And his loyal azz kissing followers will jump on the band wagon,just to tell chuckles how great he is! Welcome to Powerstroke Nation!;)

#17 ·
Sounds like you've got it all figured out then.

I'll be sure to PM you next time I'm working on something. You could save me the hassle of actually having to figure it out myself.

Sound like a plan?

On second thought why don't you give me your phone number, so I can just give you a ring, and you can explain things to me so that I can understand better.

Or hell, better still, why don't you just give me a call.

678-878-6945

You can tell me all the things I've got completely wrong, that way I won't keep unknowingly spreading mis-information.

#27 ·
IMHO 13 hrs labor is a little high for a turbo, egr valve and egr cooler but probably not too much off. You may want to try to find out how long it takes to R&R an egr cooler. Remember they are also charging you for diagnosis time, which may account for an hour or two. I know how you feel, every time i get a repair bill i have a meltdown. You may swing by the dealer and sit down with the service manager and tell him the truck is running fine and you are happy with the service but wondered about the 13 hrs labor. I suspect the tech did list roughly how long he spent on everything so the manager probably (if he cares) can break it down for you. Don't be aggressive you just want to understand the bill more. And i would not tell the service writer what you want. Just insist you want to talk to the service manager. Getting the egr cooler out is a fair amount of work.

#28 ·
IMHO 13 hrs labor is a little high for a turbo, egr valve and egr cooler but probably not too much off. You may want to try to find out how long it takes to R&R an egr cooler. Remember they are also charging you for diagnosis time, which may account for an hour or two. I know how you feel, every time i get a repair bill i have a meltdown. You may swing by the dealer and sit down with the service manager and tell him the truck is running fine and you are happy with the service but wondered about the 13 hrs labor. I suspect the tech did list roughly how long he spent on everything so the manager probably (if he cares) can break it down for you. Don't be aggressive you just want to understand the bill more. And i would not tell the service writer what you want. Just insist you want to talk to the service manager. Getting the egr cooler out is a fair amount of work.
Thats not far off at all if your going by the labor rates in the book, however it should not take more than 3 hours or so for a competent tech to R&R a EGR cooler and replace the turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.