Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Where is the PCV Valve on a 6.0

29K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jontheturboguy 
#1 ·
Turbo is leaking oil out the exaust side. Had a guy tell me that the pcv could be stopped up. This ever happened to anyone else?

#3 ·
Carried the turbo to a diesel shop today and they told me that it was more than likely good. He told me to put it back on the truck. He also told me some sickening stuff. He said that I may have a cylinder that is gone. Told me to check my exaust for oil. I do have oil (wetness) in the Y pipe that connects to the turbo. I am wondering that as much oil that was coming out of the turbo, I would be able to hear some kind of odd racket coming from the motor. It still ran good while it was pouring oil. I am lost. What is the long black plastic box that is on top of the D/S valve cover? Is that the pcv? It is below an aluminum box that has some wires connected to it.(FICM?) Thanks turbo guy for your help.

#4 ·
That odd shaped black plastic box is the "pcv", with the hose going to the turbo inlet.

Remember, turbos can't seal themselves without a pressure differential:

-Negative pressure inside the bearing housing (vacuum from the pcv system)
-Positive pressure outside the bearing housing (boost from the compressor or exhaust gas pressure from the turbine)

If you carry around a turbo facing up, it WILL LEAK OIL no matter how new.

I know for a fact Cummins has a dye & black light leak tester (dye part number 3376891 and lamp tester part number 3163337) that will tell you where the oil is coming from, Im not sure if International has one or not.

An oil leak test is an oil leak test - Unless you're too proud of a Powerstroke guy to go to a Cummins store, go buy the dye and a black light.

Cummins Diesel Engine Company said:
Add one unit of fluorescent tracer, Part Number 3376891, to each 38 liters [10.0 gal] of engine lubricating oil .

Operate the engine at low idle for 10 minutes.

Shut off the engine.

Allow the turbocharger to cool.

Remove the exhaust pipe from the turbine housing

Use a high-intensity black light, Part Number 3824524 or 3824754, to inspect the turbine outlet for leaks .

A dark-blue glow indicates a fuel leak. Refer to Procedure 007-044. A yellow glow indicates an oil leak.

If oil is found on the turbine housing, remove the oil drain line and check for restrictions. Clear any restrictions found, or replace damaged components as required.

If the oil drain line is not restricted, remove the turbocharger

Use a high intensity black light, Part Number 3377253 or 3377394, to inspect the turbine inlet for leaks .

A yellow glow indicates an oil leak from the engine.

If a yellow glow is not seen in the turbine inlet, replace the turbocharger .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.