Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Oops...

4K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 ·
Well when I disassembled my engine a few days ago I ran across something pretty interesting.....good thing I have new pistons on the way!! :doh::doh:

I guess she got a little warm somewhere along the road last year...:eek:

Auto part Automotive wheel system Wheel Metal

Auto part

See less See more
#3 ·
dang, that dont look heathy.

#5 ·
No not all of them. 2 were real bad like this one and a couple others were just starting to melt away. I forget which holes the real bad ones came out of I'm thinking #5 and #6 but not positive on that one.

#24 ·
Nope....but the new ones are coated and have all kinds of fancy crap done to them...:D

#13 ·
Well when I disassembled my engine a few days ago I ran across something pretty interesting.....good thing I have new pistons on the way!! :doh::doh:

I guess she got a little warm somewhere along the road last year...:eek:

View attachment 5375

View attachment 5376
Does it mean anything worth noting that the melting is much more pronounced on one side of the piston?

#15 ·
Can I have one of those lolypops?

#25 ·
Ha!!! Just noticed that..... They are pretty good suckers too :poke:

#18 ·
I think it looks like there is more material around the piston tops that can be removed for even lower compression!! I may have to go at mine even deeper this time.:poke:

#19 ·
TimingLOL

#26 ·
I have my doubts here....Eric has my timing set pretty low actually. My truck doesn't like much timing. I would say just extreme heat and high backpressure (especially at DPC)

#23 ·
Yep...pretty sure it was just on the exhaust valve side of the pistons. Prob the hottest part of the piston I would say...

#29 ·
Now now....no need to be like that. :poke:

I never said twins was the best thing ever....I know my setup is not perfect but it is still a work in progress. Hopefully this year everything will run alot better with all the upgrades I'm doing....too early to tell but I'm hoping for good things in the year to come! :ford:

#31 ·
More good news... I finally took a pic of my heads and they don't look too healthy either...:(:(

Every cylinder has cracks between each intake and exhaust valves. Needless to say the only thing these heads are good for now is the dumpster. :doh:

Does anybody have any reasoning why these heads are cracking between the intake and exhaust valves??? I'm really suprised the damn truck was still running with all the destroyed internals I found.

Attachments

#36 ·
My heads were cracked exactly like that between each and every intake/exhaust. Mine's a 2v 7.3 head, but I believe the reason is the same for both.

That part of the head isn't the thickest, but also, you have that portion of the head going from 1800ish degree EGT to say 100 degree or less intake air over, and over, and over, and over again every single time the exhaust valve closes and fresh air is pulled in across the intake valve. Seems like that area would just be prone to a bunch of very extreme heat cycling.

Other than that.... mine ran fine with them all cracked for God only knows how long.

#33 ·
Thinnest part of the combustion chamber is also probably the weakest, most likely why they crack there

#35 ·
thats wild. my friend just called me monday and told me about this..his tech was concern and when he called ford they knew the problem and said it was normal. i believe its just in the casting and not all the way through and shouldnt hold a problem. maybe in your case Tyler it may with all the added pressure but for us "normal" people we may not have such a problem LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.