Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Programmer question

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mattr66 
#1 ·
Ive got an edge juice with attitude and my truck runs ok, I had a superchips programmer on it and it ran better, can I turn the edge back to stock and load the superchips, or do I need to unplug the module? and if I have to unplug the module, will the guages on the attitude still work? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I have the Edge Juice with Attitude and i read other posts on here that you should stack programmers that arent Edge but I dont know if you can leave it on stock and just use the gauges. My opinion i wouldnt wouldnt stack the two. Im not much help sorry.

#4 ·
just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why I couldnt stack the two? I was thinking, set the edge on stock, then unplug it, load the superchips, then hook the edge back up. It would be like the edge was reading the superchips tune as stock, and go from there, instead of actually reading stock.

#7 ·
just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me why I couldnt stack the two? Because you'll likely get a check engine light for ICP below desired after 7 seconds of romping on it and no increase in performance. I was thinking, set the edge on stock, then unplug it, load the superchips, then hook the edge back up. It would be like the edge was reading the superchips tune as stock, and go from there, instead of actually reading stock. It doesn't make any difference when you hook up the Edge...it doesn't care what program it's sending corrupt information to.
See comments in red.

#5 ·
do you have a 7.3 or 6.0?

#8 ·
I can't say why or that I think it's a good performance idea, but there is a guy with a diesel shop around here that swears up and down that the best thing for a 7.3 is a Juice turned all the way up and a superchips on level 2 for shifting. I think it's his way of suckering people into buying two programmers, but I know a girl that he suckered into it and her truck runs decent with that setup. I would still beat her in a race but it works for her. But this is the same guy I tried to talk to about compressor wheels for a turbo, and he didn't know what a compressor wheel was. He kept asking if I meant like a wheel/tire setup.

#10 ·
I think the first step to learning what does and does not work and why, would be to figure out what the attitude is doing in the first place.

I have never had one, but had always thought it was merely an ICP sensor output signal modifier. Meaning, it cleverly lies to the PCM about the current level of ICP, so that the PCM will think the ICP is lower than it really is, then jack up the IPR duty cycle until it sees what it wants to see. Then you get more ICP than you have programmed into the file being run on the PCM at that moment, whether that is the stock file on the PCM's EEPROM, or a file having been flashed in place of the Ford calibration, or even a calibration being read in through the J3 port, off of a chip. Doesn't matter. In either case, the attitude is merely telling the PCM that the ICP is lower than it really is.

So, if you are running a calibration on or attached to the PCM that is calling for sub-optimal ICP, and you then crank up the attitude, you could expect a bit more power, although in reality, I wouldn't expect much over 30hp. However, if the calibration on or attached to the PCM is already optimized, and you crank up the attitude and make the PCM call for even more DC because it thinks the ICP is low, you'll get more ICP than you need, or in the case of a single stock hpop, you'll reach a disparity between ICP desired and ICP attained that will set a 1211 DTC and you will get a SES light show in the corner of your instrument cluster.

But at the end of the day, there is nothing magic that is going to make power by "stacking". If you wanted, or needed more ICP, you could have, and should have, merely called for it.

The "stack" is just a round-about, "bush-league" way of achieving the same, or similar result.

#12 ·
well just because I'm a curious kind of guy, and learn things by doing things I stacked them. I figured nobody on here said it would blow the motor up right? Well it worked (for a while) I put it on on a sunday morning, drove it around on 0 on the edge and hi performance on the superchips. It ran great more power more torque and more smoke. So I turned the edge up to 5. You could almost watch the egts climb just idling. When I jumped on it they almost imediately jumped to 1400 degrees, so I got out of it. Turned the edge back down and was content. Then later that day it got to the point where it wouldnt shift in to overdrive unless I was running 75mph. I couldnt feel it shift in to any other gear. So instead of burning up my tranny, I pulled the superchips off and went back to just the edge. So if any one else wants to try this you can see right here what will happen, atleast with an automatic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.