Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Need ideas as to why my mpg sucks!

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  96powerstroker 
#1 ·
Ford can't figure out why my mpg is so horrible. Been to two dealers and nothing. In hwy, pulling a chev cobalt on a 2k flatbed trailer, Aprox weight is 5k combined going 70 mph on flat prairie land, I'm getting 11.8 to 12mpg. Empty same road ill get 14.8 to 15 mpg. I have egr and dpf delete with h&s tuner on performance. 35inch "fierce" tires with 2.5 leveling kit with airbags on rear. No cats or muffler under truck, straight piped. Where should I look? No codes, idles smooth, good power etc. it's pissing me off. I also have a new air filter.

#2 ·
Hand calculated or lie o meter ??
what gears are you running 331 355 373?
have you reset your speedo to the right tire size?

#4 ·
Got your voice back huh?

#5 ·
Just bust in' your balls...anyhow I wonder if you've got an injector hanging up or something fuel related for sure. Sample your engine oil and determine how much fuel you have washing by is a thought ...

Best of luck and let us know

#6 ·
Where are you filling up? When I first did my DPF delete I only gained like .5-1 mpg, then I changed fuel stations and gained like an extra 2-3 mpg just from that.

#8 ·
Did you put the DPF delete on before or after the leveling kit and tires? With my stock tires doing 68mph, depending on weather conditions, I averaged 16-19mpg. Slowing down to 62mph I averaged 19-22. With my 35s I average 15-17mpg doing 68, and 18-21 doing 62. I know no one wants to do the speed limit, but maybe try it if you're not in a hurry and see if you notice a difference.

#13 ·
Lmfao. Yeah. Ford did such a great job.., not. Many aftermarket parts are better. They keep having updates and re flashes for a reason. My tranny seems to shift better now also that it's flashed again.

#14 ·
Vehicles are built for the service department now. That way they make money long after they sell the truck. All manufacturers are guilty of it

#16 ·
They re flashed my PCM. Said somthing about the maf not reading correctly. Seems to be much better now. And better power in higher rpm range.

#17 ·
All of a sudden I feel better about What I get in my obs. I believe weight has alot to do with It. My truck is 6300 empty But It 2wd so lets say 6700. Your trucks weight closer to 8000 thats horrible u need that 400 horsepower to get It up to speed.

Basically Nothing has changed 225 hp and 425 is enough to push a 6600 brick so to push a extra 1400 pounds u need basically 200 more ponies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.