Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

first question to the nation

891 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  427blackpearl 
#1 ·
i have a 03' f-550 with the 6.0
it does everything i need it to do plus more.i have had some trouble with it but the normal 6.0 stuff. at this time i think i have a few injectors down and maybe something else. i plan on taking it to a shop once spring really gets here. my question is what is this egr delete thing and what does it do. also i see a lot of stud kits being used why,how do i know if i need them. last what is a price for this stuff

#2 ·
EGR delete helps prevent potential EGR cooler issues and EGR valve issues. Some have found their EGR cooler ruptured which could be caused by high EGTs entering the cooler. Some people will block this exhaust flow at the EGR up pipe which is off the passenger side exhaust mainfold. Some people will delete the whole EGR cooler using a kit such as those sold by First Coast Diesel Performance. Sometimes the problem lies with the EGR vavle that has become coated with soot. Either solution listed above will help prevent the EGR valve from getting clogged. You may find after these mods your truck throws a CEL or codes. Using an SCT with a custom tune will prevent the CEL or codes.

Head studs are used to prevent the streching of the stock bolts. Generally this will cause "puking of coolant" at the overflow bottle. When using a high HP tuner cylinder pressures will cause this streching and the coolant to expel out the overflow bottle.

The EGR delete can run as high as $600-700 for the full delete kit (plus labor) and the head studs will run $450-ish (retail) and could require the cab off the truck so labor costs will add to that as well.

#3 ·
the head bolt job is about $3000 on a f-250

#5 ·
I wouldn't say it like that. As far as I know my truck was bone stock up until I got it. OASIS report was all clean and there were no signs of abuse. However after about 15k of owning the truck (purchased with 49k on it.) I started getting black smoke with zero power when going from idle to moderate acceleration (pulling out from a stop sign, ect) Pulled the EGR valve and it was plugged SOLID with soot. I have also heard numerous accounts of EGR issues not only on here but local people who have bone stock trucks, including a few 08 trucks.

Personally when the time comes for me it will get deleted with Adams, FCDP, kit. To me it is just removing another weak link that may cause trouble down the road and at worst wipe out something else like the oil cooler or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.