Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Any problems with Precision torque converters

7K views 47 replies 20 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 ·
Like the titles states has anyone have had any issuses with their converters??? I installed one about late september and by early november, it was out, i was not driving this truck for a few months and in january i sent them the converter back and they rebuilt it, after having a broken sprag and race with the clutch's ballooned. Now i have had the converter in less than a month and now it is out again. Is this just my bad luck with things, Hell i drove with the stock converter in it almost longer then these 2 converters together, while with the stock one i raced the hell out of it and pulled about 24,000 lbs with no trouble.

#2 ·
Are you running the precision industries "stallion" converter or some cheap knock off? I have a PI stallion in my truck and its been great. I finally sent it in to get freshened up after a couple years and it wasnt in too bad of shape considering how bad i abused it.

#4 ·
My PI converter hasn't given me a minute's trouble. And I usually blow the tires off hard on TCC lockup at least 3 or 4 times a day.

Plus, mine is handling over 600rwhp each time.

You might check that you have the appropriate converter as Luke said. Your power output is not in the kind of range to be testing these converters on clutch strength. Neither is mine really.

#7 ·
I broke a sprag on my first one after @ 4 months - just bad luck I guess. Since the free replacement, been in for more than 2 years, I have not had a problem.

#11 ·
The pump has been mod. and has a trans go shift kit complete. It is a Staillon converters from DI Performance. The lock ups are real harsh.

I gave them a call and they UPS me one over night, recieved it yesterday now i just have to pull the trans back out again, they been rebuilding the converter but now they just sent me a new one. I Really Like The Customer Service At Precision They Took Care Of Me Quickly. I really like the converter and this should fix all of my problems. Thanks for you guy info.

#12 ·
If it's locking up too hard, you may need to reduce the hole size in the separator plate (or a whatever similar change is equivalent).

That would likely require a new plate that wasn't drilled as large on the TCC hole.

Ask a tranny guy. If it's banging the lockup, you need to fix that. It shouldn't be.

#17 ·
Classic OD planetary. The consensus is that daily drivers are harder on them than race trucks, because when you make the 4-3 the OD planet has to stop dead in it's tracks, and if the TCC is locked when this happens, there is no cushion for anything, and it is hard on the case and splines in that case.

Brian is going to fix me up with what he thinks I need, and I'm going to have the TCC unlock on the downshifts from now on.

They are pretty confident that it will be fine. And I trust that they'll get me squared away.

#19 ·
Charles, you might talk with Cale about the downshifting and how he's got it setup. He gave me a new shift program a couple weeks ago when I was down there, changing the converter lock and something with the coast clutch when downshifting. It's much nicer now. Cale also uses a different TCC lockup for each gear, rather than one setting across the board.

The file I've got now, I'm very pleased with. I can send you mine if you like. I know it may not be ideal for you with different engines and all, but you could at least look at it and see any differences.

OT - Kris, did you and Kenny get back down there yet to get his truck?

#21 ·
I talked to him this past Friday. I just need the tranny back in the truck and I can get it dialed in. I honestly never felt anything on the 4-3, because I never use the throttle to make that shift. If I want to downshift I just hit the button.....

But I'm just going to do whatever they tell me to. Once the trans is back in the truck I'll play follow the leader with Cale however I need to.

#23 ·
How did you know it was your torque converter going out? I have a percision converter and over the weekend my truck starter making a thump sound and then a grinding sound for a secound or so and then goes away and this is just on up shifts under heavey acceleration. Trying to determin what this is. I'm new to powerstroke nation (first post), Thanks for any help

#26 ·
i am goin on breakin my second pi converter, these things suck. my tranny shop keeps tellin me that its the best one they can get for it without goin to a suncoast, but i am definately not gettin another one!

#34 ·
fwiw don't

zane, dockboy,charles, brian etc..all run bts trannies with pi's
possibly even maddog but not sure on that.

#35 ·
Negative on the Maddog running BTS. Team purple Colorado sponsors him.

Correct on Zane (truck and rail), Greg, Charles, Kai, Cale, etc...

The one time I blew a stator sitting at the tree, all was replaced under warranty. I have zero complaints about the converter with what I've thrown at it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.