Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2006 6.0L PSD Fuel Leak

39K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  HarleyEdition78412 
#1 ·
:confused: My 2006 F350 6.0L PS is leaking diesel fuel and its gradually getting worse, I can smell it in the cab and I leave a puddle of gold everywhere I go. I tried to located the source and figured that the highest point would be a good place to start, so with that said. There is a little cylinder shaped sensor (???) next to the secondary filter housing, but its closer to the front of the intake manifold and has a plug with 5 wires fed to it, the colors are (left to right) Red, Blk/Wht, Grn/Org, Gry/Red, Wht/Red. I don't know what this sensor is but its very wet around it and the leak runs down the intake manifold until it drips down the back passenger side of the engine. I am assuming this is a bad O-ring leaking by, but I am trying to avoid the dealership if at all possible. Any experience with this guys? Your advice will be greatly appreciated. :bow:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Dude that's the EGR valve you are pointing at, and if you are seeing puddles of gold that is coolant you are leaking. Looks like you are going under the knife for some work, hopefully covered by warranty.

#5 ·
Yea hopefully its something as easy as the o-ring missing or fouled up on the cover. Least its a good place to start looking and shouldn't be too hard.

Wondering about the EGR valve, it does appear to be missing one of the bolts holding it down. It fits in pretty tight so I don't see it cause much of a leak but ya never know, would most likely be coolant and not fuel though.

#8 ·
Ok I will check all the lines and fittings to the fuel filter housing to make sure that maybe I am not just seeing some fuel being sprayed by a pin hole leak or something. I guess you never can be to sure. I will get back to ya'll with my findings soon.

#9 ·
Ok guys I cleaned of the manifold with some simple green. So, I could start over new and I drove around a lil and now I am seeing some seapage from intake elbow where it bolts to the intake manifold. And the fittings on the secondary fuel filter housing seem to be wet and smell of diesel. No current signs of leaking from the cap on the filter housing, yet. I will tighten these fittings on the housing clean and check later. I attached to photos from 2 different angles the one on the left is taken from the front of the engine the one on the right from the passenger side.

:ford:

Attachments

#11 ·
its possible to hydrolock with coolant but it happens all the time and once you pump the cylinders out you should be good pull the egr valve out and see if inside the intake is all wet and if the egr valve is all wet if it is there is a good chance your egr cooler is taking a crap.smell it see if it smells like coolant are you getting white smoke?

#13 ·
Oh I just had the egr cooler replaced about 3 months ago and it couldnt have come at a worse time. I has on my honeymoon and 500 miles away from home and the dealer hit me with a bill of $1100. It sucked, it was alot of bs. So, maybe these is the side affects of the egr cooler failure???

#14 ·
what exactly do you think are the side effects?

#16 ·
clean everything really good with some break clean and try and pinpoint the source of the leak

#19 ·
ouch ain't that a

Curious to see what you get for a diagnosis on this. I noticed the other day I got a bit of black gum/grime/oil that seems to be creeping up around the intake elbow, mostly on the front of the elbow so I am kinda confused about it for now. Best of luck and hopefully you can find the culprit.

#21 ·
:ford:

Alright guys just pulled the EGR Valve today, and the was coked up but dry. So, I am assuming that this is a good thing. I followed the procedure for proper cleaning and it looked brand new, then I installed the new o'rings and gasket reinstalled EGR Vlave and I have noticed a bit more power overall. Tomorrow I will pull the intake elbow and inspect and while I have it off I might as well change the o'ring on it to. And we'll wait and see if it leaks fuel anymore. Thanks for the help and I will post the rest of my findings.

JP

#22 ·
Ok guys Intake Elbow has been pulled and eureka I found it. I posted pics to show ya'll the source of a leak that I have been trying to find for a while. I assume the 1/2" chunk missing (no where to be found) from the Intake Elbow O'ring is either from improper installation or a method of job security by the local ford dealer. I am wondering how long this truck was in this state. Bc I am sure it may have been causing a boost leak that might have robbed some of my power. But jeez that oring was DONE, lol. I am replacing it today I will let ya'll know how it runs after its installed.

Attachments

#23 ·
How exactly would that o-ring being torn leak fuel :confused: The only thing that should be going thru it should be air and maybe a small amount of CCV right? And especially with the missing rubber piece being on the front facing side of the elbow and not on the inner side where the fuel leak is? :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.