OBS chassis SD crew cab body swap=wiring nightmare. duh - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:12 PM
builtfromscratch
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

OBS chassis SD crew cab body swap=wiring nightmare. duh

Hello....introduction complete

I usually lurk and glean information no matter what forum, but I feel that there may be a way for me to save time that would otherwise be consumed looking at several feet of schematics taped together with a pile of colored pencils....

With that being said don't try to talk me out of it its already mounted to the frame.

97 f250 ext cab 7.3 auto rolled.....350$ junkyard 2000 v10 crewcab SD body complete with pcm and body and engine harnesses.

Basically to search for this problem would be a combination of does this harness/cluster/pcm/blah blah blah work together, so I'm tackling it in one thread hopefully, let me know if I missed a post with good info.

I'm trying to come up with a combination that will leave me with as many SD components on the body as possible IE A/C and headlights are controlled by relays and gem rather than high current switches...the steering column is the same and ign switch hooks up the same and the pcm connector matches as does the engine harness connector but from what I understand the pinout for the eng connector is different. Probably due to the injector driver module, no coils etc. It's no biggie to use the engine harness, but when it comes time to connect the body harness there are three connectors instead of one...

Basically what I'm hoping to do is hook up every thing from the obs harness minus non essentials in the interior and then control the v10 pcm or maybe just relays to work the interior. Does anybody have any insight on this? I guess the obvious suggestion would be to get an early 7.3 harness complete and use that, but I'm on super low budget and trying to get this thing out of my yard!!! Oh sorry for the long post and thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 PM
builtfromscratch
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Question Re: OBS chassis SD crew cab body swap=wiring nightmare. duh

Oh yeah, I'm not putting a cummins in it.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 PM
builtfromscratch
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Re: OBS chassis SD crew cab body swap=wiring nightmare. duh

It would be nice to know exactly what functions the pcm sends to the GEM or bcm in the v10 truck, I know cruise/speed, ign switch pos, ambient air temp maybe, but what else? Somebody must have scanned one of these modules to know what pids it sees from the pcm. Guess ill get some printer paper and start tracing stuff tomorrow....
Old 09-25-2013, 07:11 PM
zabeard
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

seems like you would have been better off using a cab that aready had a diesel in it. I know several have used the newer PCMs in OBS trucks. So search for that stuff as it may help.

1997 F350 CCLB 4WD Auto. Basics 4" Exhaust and 6637 filter.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Patrick Feeley
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

My only suggestion would be to get Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTMs) for both models and go circuit by circuit. As you mentioned, its time consuming (but there is really no way around it). Good Luck and Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Old 09-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

My suggestion is to get a 99-03 7.3 harness and swap it out with the v10 one.

DONE
Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 PM
co04cobra
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_brad View Post
My suggestion is to get a 99-03 7.3 harness and swap it out with the v10 one.

DONE
This is really your best option. I have and do a good many of these type of swaps. The pcm plugs in, but the obs harness is different. To make it work you would need repin the harness.

Since its a V-10 harness it is going to cause more issues. If you had both schematics and the time you could maybe set down and build harness's to interface the two, but it would take a LONG time.

The harness you really need is to an 99-01 7.3. The obs engine side harness, and most all sensors are also different and they really need to be changed. Is the truck going to be a manual or auto?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:46 AM
zabeard
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Anything is possible if you put the time into it.

I spent weeks wiring a Lincoln 5.4L into a ford ranger body harness.

You do need those schematic books though, worth every penny!!
Old 09-26-2013, 05:43 PM
builtfromscratch
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Thank you for your suggestions, the early 7.3 SD harness is looking better and better, but somethin kinda intrigues me about having two ecms communicating with each other ... I'll probably end up running the truck first with the obs cab harness tucked in the floor board and just plugged into the steering column...does the programable speedo unit have some kind of check it does with the pcm to run the truck? Thanks again
Old 09-26-2013, 05:44 PM
builtfromscratch
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Maybe I can convince the wife to let me use the spare bedroom as a wire harness building room.....hahaha

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 81
1992ccsbpsd, 1hydroman, 300,000 and counting, 7thMcD, 89 Stroker, 94Matt, 96powerstroke96, 96P_Stroke4x4, Arcturus, ashworthdb, Baker82, Bayonet16, bert, BIG_RED, BillMcIntire, bluesbish, Bobs 7.3, Bradbilt, Bugman, builtfromscratch, CALADASH, Cloverleaffarm, co04cobra, csp, cthom388, D66stroke, Dodging Fords, dsinderson, ellisfl09, f250towrig, fordmandan87, friskyjake, Gaius, gnxtc2, Got4wd, hag000, halbig7, Hijo202, ilh, jake2far, Jeep1947, JSchuricht, Justincredible, Kampy, kip4234, krisx125, lc tpi, madpogue, markfuga, mattman90, MB97PSD, meandog06, mxredneck, Nick spends, Nodge, NORCALOBS95, OBSpstroke97, ohio937stroker, old man dave, oregon96psd, Patrick Feeley, Powerstroke Man 6.4, powerstrokemike, Quadra, rolsmojave3, rpm-inc, rusty1161, rustyescott, Schneider 86, screamnstroker, silent64, Slog58, smoking69, toolmangary, tyler886, Wayne94gt, Why Not, wildstang, zabeard, zluikens