Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

dieselsite has been busy check this out

8K views 77 replies 39 participants last post by  AMEC Electric 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Different kind of idea. Interesting.

#4 ·
I wonder if there will be any extra wear and tear to the pump from overspinning it like that? I'm sure Bob has tested it, but that's what crossed my mind.

#5 ·
It says on the site that the extra speed should not be an issue.
I like that there are more choices in oil now...

#8 ·
Sounds like a good option...

#15 ·
It shouldn't run any more pressure than normal, it even says that on the page. It also recommends not running excessive pressure.

-Michael

#18 ·
Larger injectors use a larger volume of oil to operate fully(as we all know), that is usually more than what the HPOP produces(in volume) and thus there is less resistance on the system and pressure drops. Alls the Overdrive does is turn the HPOP faster in relation to engine speed, exactally as the name implys(even though the HPOP is already overdriven to start with). That is more VOLUME per TIME to maintain DESIRED PRESSURE. The pressure is set in the programming and *shouldn't* exceed the max. That is unless you have so much volume that you are overrunning the IPR and it can't dump it anywhere else.

Nothing to do with the poppet, that is the solenoid's problem to open it, if you are using High pressure oil to open the poppet valve then you have some issues.

-Michael

#17 ·
The issue is the volume of oil being pushed to the injectors not pressure. The more volume, the more fuel can be pushed through an injector

#19 ·
I definitely like having more options for high pressure oil, but now I actually have to make a decision on what direction I want to go. Before with only a few options there wasn't as much brain power required to make the decision. :doh: Good reason to stick around and see what the concensus is.
-Aaron

#20 ·
So did I read that right - Bob is saying that the Overdrive performs better than either the Pulse or the Adrenaline?

If he was running 3200psi with the all three pumps - how is it the Overdrive increased the Boost by 3lbs at the same PSI?

I'm confused...

Sam

#41 ·
So did I read that right - Bob is saying that the Overdrive performs better than either the Pulse or the Adrenaline?

If he was running 3200psi with the all three pumps - how is it the Overdrive increased the Boost by 3lbs at the same PSI?

I'm confused...
I am still confused. Can someone explain it to me in simpleton? If you have the Adrenaline or the Pulse on a truck with Stage 1 injectors - how is the Overdrive producing 3lbs more boost than either the Pulse or the Adrenaline. According to the Adrenaline site it "easily supplies stock, stage I and stage II injectors - we even have test trucks running Hybrid 530s (230) that are easily supplied with the oil..." So the Pulse (uber-mega oil) and the Adrenaline are out done by overdriving a single pump?

I don't see flow or pressures being an issue for either the Adrenaline or Pulse with Stage 1's - so where does the claimed "increased his boost by over 3 lbs. (from 29+ to 33 lbs.) with a reduction in smoke. The Overdrive forces more complete fuel delivery for better atomization and it obviously showed on his boost gauge..." come from?

I am asking because I don't understand how that would work.

Sam

#21 ·
Yep, he was saying that a 2x overdriven 15* would surpass a pulse.
they all met the maximum pressure dictated by tuning, but if the overdrive is putting out more volume, then it should hold better pressure once the poppet opens... which is hard to monitor in ways other than boost, egt and power, because it's hard to watch pressures in specific areas over an elapsed time of 5 ms or less.

#27 ·
:whs::whs::ford:

#26 ·
Fwiw, I believe the stock pump is running underdrive, not overdrive.

Although if not, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something.

Instead of increasing the displacement per rev, he simply increased the revs. Seems logical to me.

And as was already said, the pressure would still be within control on any system until you reach the point where the volume maximum flow rate of the pump(s) exceeds that of the regulator valve + what is traveling through the injectors. This most often becomes an issue when you lift, and nothing is going through the injectors any longer.

#32 ·
:stupid:

I don't think you (we) are wrong in that assumption...

otherwise it would be 20% over, not double over flow... :shrug:

In one way, I think the overdrive concept is terrific...maybe up to 50% overdrive (compared to factory pump rpm, which is 15% under crank rpm)..

so if the engine (crank) rpm were 3500rpm, the factory (non-overdriven by this new device) would only be spinning 2975rpm. So a 50% overdrive would put the true (pump/shaft) rpm at 4465.

I don't think 2x is even going to be in the zip code of reliability...not to mention the (proposed yet available?) 5x overdrive.

love the idea...but 2x to 5x faster (5950-15000 shaft rpm?!?) :shrug:

take care~

Dave

#29 ·
I'd be concerned about :whs: especially if I was trying to tune for higher RPMs... Jason (HotRodTractor) was shooting for 5k rpms, so that pump would be turning 10k. :eek: sounds like a recipe for disaster as you increase rpms.

#35 ·
While I do find it interesting I do have some thoughts, maby concerns you could say.

Stock pump is 85% of crank speed, while I could see matching that 1;1 overdriving at 2x seems to me that it would make the stock pump end its life much sooner then at 85%.

if you get this you pay 1000.00 and you still have a stock pump. Stock pump housings are junk from my experiance. It doesnt matter if you have a old Stealth, Term, BTS or just a single bone stock pump the threads may pull out at any time and I have seen them ALL do it. It has nothing to do with the pressure and more to do with poor casting material to make threads in.

It does look nice and is a cool idea though.

#37 ·
I have seen them ALL do it. It has nothing to do with the pressure and more to do with poor casting material to make threads in.

It does look nice and is a cool idea though.
If it's a casting material issue, won't it do the same thing anyway?

#36 ·
I'm the tester Bob was mentioning on his page. I had the Overdrive in for 3 days.

To me the Overdrive opens the "sweet spot" on the power band, like a rocket. I couldn't keep my foot out of it. Permagrin for those 3 days.

I had a 15d HPOP hooked up to it that I got from a buddy that had over 500K miles on it. Worked great, no issues, couldn't believe that thing kept up with the abuse I was dishing it, espcially with all those miles. I'm still in shock that a 15d can put out that much volume. My oil pressure gauge would peg and just stay there until I got out of it. I know oil support for small stage 1's isn't extremely demanding, but this "accessory" seems synergistic with my current setup. My truck just loved it. VERY easy to install, nice looking solid unit, and it's not a concept, it's here. I think Bob's going to have some ready to go out soon.

I plan on getting one for good when Bob gets more made.

#38 ·
What about the stress placed on the oil itself from the extra friction and stress from spinning the pump that much faster. That to me seems like it may break down the oil faster. I would like to see an oil report with 3000-5000 miles on the oil for the higher overdrive versions.

#40 ·
No doubt it's going to break down the oil sooner, shearing it's viscosity. However, dual pumps also shear down the oil quicker than a single. What would be an interesting comparison though is to see how quickly it shears down the oil compared to the dual HPOP setups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.