Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

scary problem??

3K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  siamoutas 
#1 ·
hello

lately i have been noticing that when i start the ol girl, about 5-30 seconds after i start it.. SOMETIMES i will get a loud boom that shakes the truck, something comparable to slamming the door. But no, its not that :p it kinda seems like its a backfire.. but i dont know about that because it only happens once and a while weather its cold or warm

any thoughts???

thanks!!

-Rob

#5 ·
The A/c is off.. highs around here are still only to 30 lol

#4 ·
Injector sticking open and flooding a cylinder. Finally start working, combined with a kinda plugged up CAT, heat gets so big it just blows it up in the down pipe.

Just a WAG and a bump.

Or what Pocket said.

#6 ·
Possibly.. how would be away to tell what injector?

and also... it has a CAT? where would i find it..?:doh:

#7 ·
I was just flying. CAT = catalytic converter. In the exhaust.

For the injector, somebody else will have to chime in with that.

#8 ·
yes, i know what the CAT is. lol i have been under the truck a few times.. and i have only seen the muffler (under the bed)... no cat. i have been working on cars and trucks for the past 8 years, and am in school to become a certified heavy duty diesel tech. i know i dont have a PF on the truck lol.

i was thinking Injector(s) valve's possibly carbon build up causing a bad seal during start up but once theirs heat for CI blows out and ignites the fuel that has gone through.

One thing though, it is very prominent on the passenger side and you can feel it in the floor... hmm.. does Power stroke have any connections like DDECII, Incite, CAT ET,? those programs can tell you if the engine gets a sniff of someones fart :blah:

ma have to do some investigating when it gets warmer out dont need to be blowing up the truck.. i need another 100K at least out of it. lol

thanks!

#12 ·
I've got a 04 Freestar and it does the same thing. Periodically the pressure builds up in the line during shutdown and releases when the car is restarted of the system is on and hammers the clutch. Ford calls it 'slamming the compressor' (or something like that). Keep in mind, the ac compressor works in the defrost as well as the ac mode. A buddy whos a tech at a Ford dealer said to turn the system off before turning the car off. It never does it if everything is off.

#13 ·
hey yall.

went out earlier today, about 20 degrees out started the truck... Romped a few seconds and died, restarted and ran... but was shaking defiantly cylinder miss fire... or more then 1 due to how it was rocking the truck. let it run a few min... it finally fired. had a lot of smoke... gray from fuel and the engine warming up the exhaust and also a blue tint. step'd on the peddle got more blacker smoke and a large amount of it.

winters almost over, but i am still using heavy Power service Diesel clean (white bottle) and fuel from truck stops so i know its new. Did add some 2 stroke last week.. drove 1800 miles refilled the tank a few times since then... should be washed out by now. and once the trucks warmed up a bit it feels like i have all the power in the world :pullover: lol

also... i have No MIL.

#14 ·
From what you are descibing, I would say that the glow plug relay is sticking. When you start it it pushes raw fuel into the exhaust and then when the relay clicks over, the fuel ignites and causes the loud backfire in the exhaust. Have had this happen before to me. It will wake you up for sure! I would check you relay and then see what it does. Just my 2 cents worth.

#16 ·
Maybe on the thump, but his other post on the romping, dyeing, smoking, and shaking is something completely different.

From what you are descibing, I would say that the glow plug relay is sticking. When you start it it pushes raw fuel into the exhaust and then when the relay clicks over, the fuel ignites and causes the loud backfire in the exhaust. Have had this happen before to me. It will wake you up for sure! I would check you relay and then see what it does. Just my 2 cents worth.
I've had that happen before, and the backfire is like a cannon firing. Waking you up in the morning is an understatement, more like crap your pants like you've never crapped them before. I had it happen on a camping trip one time, and the park rangers heard it a mile away. They thought someone lit some dynamite. :doh:

#17 ·
Hey,

still shooting on it. temps about 12 plus windchill... been shutting it OFF before turning the truck off. no booms so far... But i am having hard hard starting.. Glowing for 15-20 seconds... romp romp romp stall..... 15-20 more... Romp romp romp romp run..... 1,000 Rpm or so. i think i may of ingested some bad diesel fuel... off to advanced auto some times this afternoon... (2:05 Am) and get a fuel filter.. give that a whack.

Fuel supplements, Power service Diesel kleen White bottle, Minute measure of 2 stroke oil from about... 70 gallons of diesel ago. Currently have a full tank from the truck stop a few towns over... ahhhhh

once the sun comes out for me, maybe a bit warmer ill head out to the advanced auto.. and work in the parking lot LOL

thanks for the help.. hope i dont have to much more problems... but if so, ill fix'em or just replace the power stroke with one of my favorite engines... C-12

#19 ·
The apartment place that i'm at, they dont have any power outlets out side.. i could run a cord out my window.. 4th floor... to the parking lot, But since its winter and they take the heat bill out of the rent the heater stays @ 65-72 and if they catch you with a window open its a $30 fine.

i had a generator... but the block heater blew it up. dam made in china crap :(

#20 ·
when your at the parts store pick up a GPR too. it kind sounds like you may have a problem with that or you may have some glow plugs shot.

how many miles on it?

#21 ·
Went to the advanced auto.. got the fuel filter, i wanted the Motorcraft.. but it didn't come with the top piece so i had to get some other one.. :( swaped it out.. the old filer was Black and looked $hitty. let the fuel pump with it in the loose... had fuel comming out the top seal and then tightened the hell out of it by hand because the 1/2 drive socket adapter striped out after it made contact. ran the truck 10 min... got out onto the highway... opened it up :pullover: truck seems a lot more peppier and more responsive.

miles, 139,754.3 (i wrote them down in my log book for the new filter) in a month and a few days.. i have put on 3,754.3 miles :)

One more question... Fuel filter housing drain... didnt seem to be draining. is this a common problem? i kinda expected the fuel to rush out but it kinda fizzled out onto the valley pan... onto the parking lot of advanced

:ford:

#23 ·
yeah.. it was :poke: Dont know how long ago it was changed...

but it did have a little Blue 2 stroke tint to it :)

know anything about a slow draining problem?? or should i of bought a turkey baster and cleaned out the bowl and hit it up with some carbcleen and a few rags to absorb anything?

do we have a fuel tank bottom drain? ide kinda like to trickle out a gal or 2 and do a water check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.