HPOP reservoir leaking down when cold? - Page 4 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 AM
trick76cj5
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to trick76cj5
Re: HPOP reservoir leaking down when cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
It's draining down, completely, to me that would isolate it to an HPO issue, rather than a GPR issue, etc, right?

The check valves will stop the flow of oil back through the pumps, if an injector is sticking open, and the oil is draing from the head(s) through the pump, and down into the LPO circuit and into the pan. That's why I'm going to experiment with the check valves.
If you have smoke while cranking, something has to be in there to create the smoke. Either you are burning some fuel, which means the injectors are firing at least a little, or your burning oil, which would point else where.

The injectors work this way. Oil enters, pushes the intensifier piston, and then is shot out the top of the injector into the valve train area. If an injector is hanging open, it could theoretically drain all the oil from any part of the system that is above it. It would do this by allowing the oil to flow out of the injector where the oil would normally flow after being used by the injector. This would cause the oil to flow from the output of the pumps out to the injector. The check valves will not stop this because this is the direction the oil would normally flow. Check valves are there to stop the flow of something in a direction oposite to the intended flow. Now, unless you have a cracked injector body, i doubt you would even get any oil to flow out of the injector because the exit on the injector is higher than the oil galley in the head. There is nothing in the system higher than the injector, so you will not syphon the system out. The fluid can not drain out of the resevoir w/out going through the HPOP's, the design of the pump will not allow fluid to flow through them unless they are actually turning. It's a piston pump, just like the engine in your truck. Nothing gets by the piston unless the piston pushes it out the exhaust valve. (Granted, there is some seepage past the rings, thus we have ccv's, the hpops in our trucks also have drains to remove the small amout of oil that is bypassed during normal operation). Unless you have a bad pump oil can not pass through the pump while it is sitting still, oil can not leave the hpop resevoir except through a bad pump, a bad seal, or a bad resevoir housing. If you pulled all the injectors out of yoru truck, as you did when you did the DIY injectors, the oil would remain in the resevoir, your galley drained, but the res level stayed where it was. You have an issue at the resevoir. There are a number of seals/gaskets there to check, as well as 2 pumps. Don't make the job any bigger or any more frustrating than it needs to be. I know how frustrating it is to chase issues like these. Take the advice from those on here who have battled these issues and spent a lot of time trying to fix their own issues so their time spent learning was not spent in vain?

Sorry to hijack your post Chris.

01 F250 4X4 Super Cab
6" Pro Comp Lift 315 75 16 SuperSwamper SSR's
Built 97 engine, Dynomite BD's, Swamp's Gen III, H2E, Comp 910's, BWD Pushrods, H-11 Headstuds, BTS Tranny, 5" mitre cut stacks.

495/952

Truck Pics
Dyno Numbers
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 AM
Arisley
All done now
Member's Gallery

That wasn't a hijack, that was very informative and makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 AM
Fordgasm
what are you looking at?
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick76cj5 View Post

Sorry to hijack your post Chris.
I agree with Andy. By all means carry on, there are some of us trying to learn something here.

"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Predator tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, Bob's Turbomaster & coolant filter, ITP reg return kit, 4" exhaust,CCV mod,no EBV, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser TC lockup mod,S&B 12" air filter.
Just a work truck that has been everywhere a couple of times.
Half a million miles down & another half a million to go.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:26 AM
gregrob
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I was under the impression, that the reservoir is higher than the injectors. Looks like it to me?
The pumps are higher than the injectors as well, at least unless I am completely retarded.

Thanks for the info Brad
Old 10-30-2007, 12:51 PM
trick76cj5
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to trick76cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrob View Post
I was under the impression, that the reservoir is higher than the injectors. Looks like it to me?
The pumps are higher than the injectors as well, at least unless I am completely retarded.

Thanks for the info Brad
you miss the point that nothing can drain past the HPOPs unless they're leaking internally . . .which means you have a bad pump. you may be able to get some oil to leak out of the lines going between the pump to the oil galley if you have a "sticking" injector, but it will not drain the resevoir unless you have other issues.

After swapping injectors, many will tell you to pull the plugs on the oil galley and refill the galley for a quicker start up. .. nobody says to refill the HPOP resevoir. .. because it doesn't drain because the HPOPs stop the flow of oil. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE HPOP RESEVOIR TO DRAIN OUT THROUGH THE PUMPS UNLESS YOUR PUMPS ARE BAD, REGARDLESS OF WHAT IS WRONG AFTER THE PUMPS AND THE SEEN ELEVATION DIFFERENCES. . .A GOOD PUMP WILL PROHIBIT ALL FLUID FLOW.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:31 PM
jwdavis1986
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

i am having the same prob.. when my truck sits over night the reservoir drains out.. has a bad oil ring on the injector fixed it and has new hpop or ipr.. but be for i even start the truck the reservoir is empty.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:37 AM
tbolt
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Is the hpop a piston pump or swash plate? I was under the impression they had a swash plate and not pistons. Am I confused??
early99 f350 cc, lb, 2wd, drw, A pillar autometer guages, CTS monitor, AIS intake, 4" turbo back cat delete diamondeye exhaust, dptuner, pmt1, jw vb, Swamps ab inj, Adrenaline oil, Coolingmist, 180*T, Trucool cooler, spin on trans filter, Firestone air bags, 2" frt leveling kit, now chased by a 34' toyhauler
Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Tinscout
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick76cj5 View Post
you miss the point that nothing can drain past the HPOPs unless they're leaking internally . . .which means you have a bad pump. you may be able to get some oil to leak out of the lines going between the pump to the oil galley if you have a "sticking" injector, but it will not drain the resevoir unless you have other issues.

After swapping injectors, many will tell you to pull the plugs on the oil galley and refill the galley for a quicker start up. .. nobody says to refill the HPOP resevoir. .. because it doesn't drain because the HPOPs stop the flow of oil. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE HPOP RESEVOIR TO DRAIN OUT THROUGH THE PUMPS UNLESS YOUR PUMPS ARE BAD, REGARDLESS OF WHAT IS WRONG AFTER THE PUMPS AND THE SEEN ELEVATION DIFFERENCES. . .A GOOD PUMP WILL PROHIBIT ALL FLUID FLOW.
The front seal on the pump is the most likely culprit, it's also the cheapest and easiest part to change if you are having bleed down issues. The quality of the pump internals has nothing to do with it.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
knucklehead
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinscout View Post
The front seal on the pump is the most likely culprit, it's also the cheapest and easiest part to change if you are having bleed down issues. The quality of the pump internals has nothing to do with it.
I am having the same problem with my 2000 F250 7.3 powerstroke. I have changed the hpop and the lpop. I have replaced both gaskets in the reservoir and inspected it closely for any cracks and such. After my truck sits overnight, it starts, runs for about 3 to 5 seconds and dies out or starts stumbling. It will restart after extending cranking with misfires until air is purged. I have checked the reservoir level after overnight sit, it is over half empty, just where is the oil going? I notice that the oil pressure does not come up immediately while cranking, only does it show oil pressure until after reservoir is filled up, the sender is in the top cover. I am on the verge of replacing the injectors, but that is because I have run out of things to try. Expensive guessing game. If someone can tell me where to get the front seal for the hpop, I will try that first.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM
hydro man
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Knucklehead
Per the oill flow diagram in alldata there is an anti leak down check valve that appears to be under the HPOP, but it must actually be in the HP oil resevour. Not sure

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 160
00f250, 1badz, 2dedge, 389SixPack, 4x4, 5superduty, 7.3 Blackout, 95powersmoker, 99STROKINSMOKIN, Aaron S, adkins417, Arisley, aussie powerstroke, Big wood logger, BIG-T, BigRed97, Blowby, Boost96, Bradbilt, Brian918, brokexj, Bsmith05, Buford-61, Bushwakd, Calico5, Chaser2Racing, chasespeed, chunkdunker, CLASSICIDI, clydesdale, cory99, coyote1, crowz, cuicha, darkside708, Darth_Stroker, DaveBey, Deputydog, Dieselfixer, Diezel Dawg, Dlw63934, dmeis, Dofthew, dstruble, Dustin F2504x4, EJ25GC8, euromax, farmerrich, fast1000busa, ferociousfish, Fl Stroker, Fordgasm, fordpower2008, freshman, Fun97PS, fyrehose, genuineford, godofdew11, golfer, Goober1979, Gotti2k7, greenbeast, GreenScrew, harperc, hotwheels, hydro man, jacosey, JBrown8988, Jbstroker87, jcc01, Jeremiah25, jess, JHill, jlermann, john.s.hammond, Jordy53, Justin@DP-Tuner, juvenile9, kainers, keep'erpinned, kilapapipa, kip4234, knucklehead, losfinch, mad_matt, MasterJake, Matt07, mazdaparts, mckeddie, mshriver, mtgrizzlymn, Mudbug1979, mudman6970, NEVRNF, NWSUPRD, OBSWIZ, orchard6, pipedobber, powerstroke02, powerstroke727, POWERSTROKESHOP, PSDEng, PSDOWNER, PwrStrokinDually, racehauler, Racer, RAYZOR, Redfish, RedMule, redneckfor6, rich in co, rinkeswa, rob10970, Rockcrusher, rogerm311, scotsmann, screamnstroker, sheboyganjohn, silverslug, Skintback, sleepyhead416, SmokeSmacked02, Soaggydogg, southmike, spectra, SPless, spock1996, spongebob915, Steve, str00ker, stroker97, super73, superduty00, sutton00, TARM, tecelec1, Tedzz, TerminatorEngineering, thehammer69, themudgician, tjbeggs, Tom S, TomzToyz2, trick76cj5, turtlecrawler, UNLIMITED_DIESEL, Wackerjr, wcpresley, wicked027.3, wooner, zilla68, ZooDad