Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

What exactly does the O/D button do?

979 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  69W900A 
#1 ·
I'm not completely retarded so obviously I know it prevents the trans from shifting into overdrive.

I've also heard people say it locks the torque converter? Or push it in when you are racing and the truck will haul ass?
Or that it changes shift points? I thought that was what the tow/haul buttons in other trucks do. The girlfriends dad swears even if he is only in 2nd or 3rd and he pushes it, his RPMs go up?? I've never noticed this.

So all you smart people edjumicate me.

#2 ·
OD is like 4th gear OD off will keep it in 3rd gear and keep the tc locked down to around 35-32 MPH..the only way the RPM's should go up is if he is making it down shift while still holding the go peddle..much like a hand shaker making a shift..

#3 ·
So I knew about the keeping it in 3rd, but wasn't sure about the lock up thing. So it keeps the tc locked when you are going over about 35. And as far as him thinking the RPM's are going up...that's what I kept telling him that it shouldn't do anything like that based on what he was saying, but he kept insisting it did. LOL. But he has also told me some other goofy stuff in the past.

#4 ·
with od off my TC locks at 32 MPH and stays locked till the speed comes back down under 32 MPH..with od on..the tc will lock at 32 MPH then shift to OD at 45 MPH..when i let off the go peddle and speed drops to bellow 45,,the tc wil un lock till you step on the go peddle..i hate the TC not staying locked down to 32 with od on..most of my stops up here are at the bottom of the hills..i tend to use a lot of brakes this way..so when i am in OD and slow down to bellow 45..ill turn od off at about 46 so the TC will stay locked..some trucks the tc will unlock long enough for the OD shift then lock back up..this could be what he is feeling..

#5 ·
Just watch and make sure it doesnt start blinking on and off!! Thats what mine did when my torque converter went out and it started over heating my trannny...

#6 ·
also, with the OD off, i believe the line pressure is raised in the first two gears, don't qoute me, but something like raised by 50% in first and 33% in second

#7 ·
On a 5r110 yes. On a 4r100 all it does is turn off OD nothin else

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.