Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Brakes getting HOT!!!

897 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jtgf250 
#1 ·
Ok, my husband is in the Navy, he's not currently home. We have a 2006 Ford F250SD, the truck has not been driven since the end of May because its registration expired then. I finally got my new plates from Michigan today and was able to drive it today, which is a good thing because the oil pump blew in our 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 yesterday. Anyway, I drove it from my house to a gas station, 2.37 miles, to put air in the front passenger tire, and fill the tank. I then drove from there to an auto parts store to buy the parts to fix our other truck, 1.87 miles. I proceeded from there to head towards a friends house, my brakes started acting weird so I pulled over 4.71 miles from the autopart store, about .1-.2 miles after the truck started to act up. I stepped out of the truck and smelled brakes. So I went around and felt each wheel, the front passengers side wheel was HOT, smoking hot. I shut the truck off, waited about 20 minutes to let the brakes cool off and turned the truck on, put the truck in drive and let my foot off the brakes and did not hit the accelerator. The truck rolled forward on its own. Yes, I was on level ground. I drove from there to a Merchants tire to see if they could look at the truck, that was 2.02 miles from where I was. By the time I got there, the wheel was hot, but not locked up. They weren't able to look at the truck today, and due to it being my only vehicle, I left. I drove to a friends, another 2.04 miles and the smell was overwhelming, but again, still not sticking. I decided that the truck needed to just go ahead and come home, I no longer feel safe driving it. So I drove home, 7.06 miles and it is now sitting in a parking lot, yet again, wheel hot, but not locked.

I have a broken arm, so I can't feasibly fix this truck. Some people have said its a caliper sticking. Others say its something in the brake fluid. And my husband believes that it could be either the caliper sticking or the flex brake line needing to be replaced. Anyone have any insight before I go and bring this truck to a shop and pay $500+ to fix stuff that really isn't wrong because they feel they can take advantage of me.

Thanks so much!

See less See more
#6 ·
Get your friend to check the line. They can fray on the inside and not allow the fluid to completely return/release the caliper. Sort of like a flap, opens when you push the brake pedal and closes off or atleast partially when brake is released and doesnt allow the fluid to go back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.