Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 blowin white smoke

5K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  !!!PainTrain!!! 
#1 ·
filled up at the local station last night and truck still had a little fuel in it and drove for about 30 min and stoped at a stop light and white smoke filled the air out of the exhuast

#6 ·
Mine has done it a couple times, only really noticed it on extra cold days though. At start up I usually get a bit of white for a while till it warms up. But on several occasions after driving for about 45 minutes I have come to a light and gotten a good cloud of white which eventually went away when leaving the light, just thought it was odd with the truck totally warmed up and getting white, but I haven't noticed any coolant loss, only other problem is building 21psi of boost with a jump to 27psi during shifts.

#5 ·
And FWIW if it is a blown gasket it will fill your cylinders up with coolant when you let it sit and then when you go to start it the fluid with the compression of the motor will bend the rods so be careful. And yes the starter has enough power to bend the rods this is what happend to my buddys 6.0 that is talked about above.

#12 ·
I would think the only possible smoke you could get from a turbo going out with be black from under/no boost (or seized up wheel causing extreme blockage) or blue from a blown seal in the turbo leaking some oil into the hot exhaust. But thats just my guess.

Do you have a boost gauge? Any idea on how the turbo is responding, any odd sounds or anything?

#14 ·
it seems like its running a little rough but still can hear turbo spool when reving up, doesnt smell like coolent so dont think its head gaskets

#15 ·
My truck has had the same problems. T get ride of the white smoke when just started take the truck in and get it reflashed(return to stock first). It will not smoek at all with the new cold start flash. it smokes a little bit when first started on my race tune but no where near as bad as it was.

I had similiar problems where me engine would blow white smoke after it was warmed up rarely. It did this once or twice and then did this one or two tiems and then was constant white smoke. the dealer replaced the egr vlave and the vgt sensor and I no longer have any of the problems. just soemthing to think about; dont know if it is your exact problem but sounds awfully similar to my problems.

#20 ·
mine has Been known to blow a bit of white smoke, mainly when i left it idling to long and wet stacked it, but put a high idle switch to fix that...
but sometimes when it was cold it would still do it anyway even if i had my high idle on...
also when it was cold it blew a little white..but we took a trip the other day during the evening 3 or 4hour drive the whole time the truck ran a little hotter than normal and when we stopped it smelt like it was wet stacking, but even though thru all the wet stacking and all that ive barely lost any coolant at all so i don't know know what the hell is wrong with me either, i figure something to do with the EGR...needs to get a full checking out...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.