Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

changing 6.0 valve cover gasket

15K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bismic1 
#1 ·
Has any one done this? before I do it I was wondering if there's anything special i should know (what not to do) or any tricks to getting it off everything seems to be a tight fit. thanks for any help

#10 ·
It's possible. It's also possible it might now cause a problem. Many people have lost small bits or bolts down there with no ill effect, yet if a lifter goes out and the tiny roller bearings fall into the pan they do tend to get sucked up. If you're worried get a really strong magnet and place it against the pan in a good location, then take another magnet and drag it all over and around the pan in an attempt to "grab" any ferrous bits of metal. You can then drag them towards that other magnet which you will leave in place. In theory this might prevent anything currently in there from getting sucked up and may help with any future incursions by debris. Does it actually work? Don't know....no one I know who has done this has had to drop their engine or pan so there's no way to tell if anything stuck to the magnet or if the bolt they dropped is just sitting in the perfect spot.

#11 ·
My son dropped a fuel pump tappet down into the crankcase in the 97 F250 7.3L.

I was there and heard it hit the oil pan (unbelievably lucky to hear it - especially because he is deaf and I'm not far behind, lol). Slapped a rare earth magnet on the oil pan and haven't looked back.

In fact, I have two on the 6.0L oil pan "just in case" a lifter spits out the needle bearings. I think it is a very good safeguard, although nothing seems to really be "bulletproof" on our 6.0's!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.