Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

SVO Temps and Location?

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Motown fire 
#1 ·
So my question is relatively simple. What is the goal for your SVO temperature to be at? Where is the best location for that measurement? I had heard 180 degrees and SVO has the same viscosity and properties as diesel. Is that the number to shoot for? or is 150 the target, knowing that the oil will be heated in the injector itself prior to injection?

I need to add more heat into the system, in order to avoid clogging fuel filters on long trips (March 6th weekend). I have been datalogging diesel temperatures in my system and want to make sure I am up to snuff before switching back to SVO.

Sam

#2 ·
160F is the minimum temp at the injectors to prevent any engine problems. I usually run 180F before it goes into the motor/injectors. I have hose in hose from the tank in the bed up to my selector valve on top of the engine. The oil goes through a coolant to oil heat exchanger where I end up with 180F before it goes into the motor and injectors. Over 30K on WVO with no problems . I will usually get 3500 to 4000 miles before the Racor truck filter which filters the WVO, gets clogged to the point that I'll change it.

#3 ·
Do you measure your temperature? If so, where are you taking your reading? If not, what are you using to determine your fuel temperature?

Currently I use a Hotfox for the SVO tank with insulated lines pretty much all the way to the engine. I also have a large ArcticFox inline heat exchanger about halfway between the engine and front tank.

I have a fuel temp gauge wired in 20" before the fuel enters the rails. I am seeing ~140 temps when it is above 40 degrees ambient. When it is below 40 ambient I am seeing ~120.

I just completed the coolant wrap for my post-pump filter. I will be installing the coolant wrap, insulation for the filter, and a shutoff valve for the heater core and seeing how each one affects my temperatures.

Next on the list will be the dual heated dahls for primary filtration, Fuelab pump, and coolant circulation pump. I am confident after those items are added I will be in the ~170-80 range where my temp gauge is mounted. I doubt I will have everything installed prior to my next trip though... Hoping to get it hot enough that I can run some veggie blend on the trip.

Sam

#6 ·
I am running it on my '96 350. My signature dissapeared for some reason on this site... I need to update it anyways...

Sam

#8 ·
Are you talking about the coolant "T" for a Hose in hose setup? Or something else?

My fuel line gets extremely hot as well, but I am only seeing the temps posted above.

Sam

#11 ·
It is hard to say. I have the HotFox and the Fleetliner from ArcticFox. The two of them are able to heat my fuel up to ~100-120 degrees even when it was ~-10 out. It isn't enough by itself to get the fuel up to temperature, but it certainly helps. I hope to install my shutoff valve for the heater core this week and see how that helps temperatures. This weekend will be the filter jacket install. And that is all I will have time for before I drive to Nevada in two weeks. Hope to see some higher temps so I can safely run a fuel blend.

Sam

#13 ·
I have run svo on almost no temp at all and had no problems. if you run a powerstroke, and the motor is to op temp, it is almost impossible for the oil to hit the injectors cold, it runs through the hottest part of the heads for some time before it reaches the injectors. I have 50k on my setup and have had my injectors out a few times, and they have always looked beautiful. so much so that I was really suprised, because I have run a few hundred gallons of chicken fat through there as well. I was sure that the plungers would be toast.
Your money and time should be spent on polishing your oil, get it as clean as possible, and keep the pressure up in the heads with a good aftermarket FP, and it will fun for ever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.