Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Headgasket go Whoo Whoo!

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  KB_04F250 
#1 ·
Ya so my headgasket blew today, oh boy. So I am going to stud it and just be done with it. Couple of questions, does anyone know of a good diesel shop in the bay area that can do it? Found a few but know nothing about them. And while it's out is there anything I should do besides block of the EGR?

#4 ·
Make sure you get the heads decked too, even if they're new.

#5 ·
Ok, so I'm starting to think that something else is wrong. I posted this thread late last night so I was really with it and forgot some details. I'll describe the series of events in order and see what you think is wrong.

So my truck had been puking about a gallon of coolant every 100+ miles for a couple of weeks out the cap. Yesterday I am going up a hill at 35 mph and even when I floor it I have like hardly any power at all, enough to keep me moving without slowing down but not much. When I let off the gas, the turbo stalls like absolute insanity, I mean it makes the shrieking noise for like 5 friggin seconds after I let off, and it continues to do this every time I let off for the next fiveish minutes then it stops, I get home 5 minutes after it stopped and checked my coolant and I was down a gallon after driving only 15 miles and it was sprayed everywhere around the cap. I started driving back down to so cal for school as I was visiting my parents for the weekend, and I get 15 miles down the freeway and turn around cause power is cutting out every 5-10 seconds, almost like the TC was slipping, but the engine was just losing power, no rpm jump. And there was no white smoke from the tail pipe. Does this sound like gaskets? Never had any blow on me so I have no clue. I just assumed it was, my thinking was that the cylinders were pressurizing the cooling system making coolant spew.

#13 ·
So I just talked to the probably the most knowledgeable person about the 6.0 I have ever talked to (thank you Dirk!) and he thinks that it is not headstuds or turbo but the EGR, and after describing it to me it makes more sense that it would be the EGR than anything else. Now I just need to take out the EGR valve and clean it and see what happens!

#18 ·
I had mine in for an EGR cooler recently for a similar deal you are describing, when I got the truck back, it puked WORSE then ever! Took it back in and they thought the gaskets were shot and after 3 days of tests and whatnot, it was the coolant cap that was bad...haven't gotten it to puke again.

So coolant cap? Cheapest and easiest thing to try first...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.