'97 F Super Duty, more questions.... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Dodging Fords
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

'97 F Super Duty, more questions....

Just bought this truck a couple weeks ago as per my first thread, and I have a couple of new questions.

1. Does anyone have a picture handy of the throttle pedal assembly that they could post up for me? I have an aftermarket throttle system, "Throttle Commander" and it's for idling up the engine to run the PTO for the hydraulic crane on the truck. I'm having problems with the Commander, it's got a bad connection or something inside it's module because I'll be driving along and I will lose all throttle, check engine light comes on, and I just wiggle the module and the CEL goes back off and I have throttle response again. A new module is $425, I'm thinking to take it out and put a stock throttle pedal back in the truck and go with a TS 6 position chip and just use that to get my high idle.

2. If I go with the TS chip, I'd like to run around on the lowest 50HP setting. What kind of EGTs are you guys seeing with a 50-75HP tune with just average driving, not trying to race or run up a long hill? I just can't imagine having EGT troubles with a little 50HP tune with just average driving. My Dodges have no EGT trouble at all with 150HP+ tunes with just average driving. My setup is, and will not change, from a stock intake, stock downpipe, and stock exhaust except I did remove the cat converter as recommended.

3. I see a bunch of these OBS trucks have "saggy bumper syndrome" on the front. It looks like it's happening over time because of no brace that comes out towards the end like the Chevys. Any tricks to fix it or just a new bumper?

Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 AM
markfuga
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: '97 F Super Duty, more questions....

Can't help on numbers 1 and 2, but on 3 the front bumpers are easy to adjust. The bumper itself is fine, they just sink over time on the bracket they bolt to. Lossen up the 4 nuts behind them, adjust and re-tighten; then repeat in another ten years.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:59 AM
jeremiahmercier
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I have absolutely no egt issues in my 40tow tune. 60also isn't too bad either... I know ya said it won't change, but might wanna reconsider at least the intake, more air equals lower temps, an open element filter can go a long way. Especially if your adding fuel. If it were me I'd at least do the intake and downpipe as a supporting mod and to aid in keeping egts low, just my .02
-1996 f250 4x4, ZF5, ECLB, Firestone ride-rite air bags, Fuel tank vent mod, Live tuned Dp-Tuner, CAI, 3"dp, FF stage 1s, CCV mod, t500 , SB clutch, D66, Beans Fuel system, and hypermax intercooler. now w/ BASB turbo, Irate t4 mount, & P.I.S 175/100s
-2002 F250 4x4, auto, ECLB, CAI, CCV mod, Live Tuned Dp-Tuner, air heater delete, 4"dp
Old 08-02-2013, 01:04 AM
jeremiahmercier
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Oh, and even with the stage 1s when I still had stock turbo, I never had high egts in my 140-aggressive tune just normal driving, only when getting on it hard. And 140 is just a generic name for a stock injectored SD, not sure what it would actually be with bigger injectors
Old 08-02-2013, 01:29 AM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

The bumper and or bumper brackets are bent. They are really thin metal and pushing a riding mower will bend them.

You best bet for straightening them is loosen the brackets as the frame and let the bumper slide all the way down. Then tighten the bolts. Take a floor jack and 2x4 and jack up the corners till they touch the fender. Then let off the jack. the bumper should be straighter . If not enough, take the bumper off and the brackets off and beat it flat with a sledge or put it in a press, then reassemble

For the throttle. Unplug the commander and just plug the ford harness into the throttle pedal
97 CCSB 4WD 7.3 5spd DP Tuner, 6637, 4" Flo-Pro SS Exhaust(3" DP), 99 I/C, T500,Cali Truck w/120cc Split Shot Injectors, 1.0 exhaust housing/WW2, Irate Up-pipes, CCV Mod, Autometer gauges, Valair Organic clutch, PFM 2.25" RSK, PMF Traction bars, Rear Air bags,SD springs Front(V code)/rear(B code), 315/75/16s, 300HP/561TQ

Old 08-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Dodging Fords
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Sounds like the bumper is easy enough, thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:15 AM
Dodging Fords
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahmercier View Post
I have absolutely no egt issues in my 40tow tune. 60also isn't too bad either... I know ya said it won't change, but might wanna reconsider at least the intake, more air equals lower temps, an open element filter can go a long way. Especially if your adding fuel. If it were me I'd at least do the intake and downpipe as a supporting mod and to aid in keeping egts low, just my .02
That is what I am hoping for, if guys can run around on 100HP tunes on stock trucks and use the power here and there, I should be able to run a 50HP and not have to worry. I don't plan to install gauges. I know I know, but I can't hardly imagine melting a piston with a 50HP tune cruising flat land country roads.

I realize that the factory intake and oval downpipe is not the best for pushing some power, but I am not real interested in spending a bunch of money on this truck. It's a get by truck at the moment, I bought it to get the Dominator body and Crane setup. My plans are to upgrade to a Sterling Bullet or Dodge 4500 in the near future, so dumping a bunch of money on mods for this truck doesn't make a lot of sense, and I probably wouldn't even bother with a power adder, but since I have to have a high idle feature and that 6 way chips looks like the best route, I know I'll find myself using that 50HP setting.

I will watch my local craigslist and maybe I'll get lucky and run across an OBS truck with an exhaust, intake, gauges, etc. that I can pick up on the cheap. I'm seeing a lot of these OBS 7.3's being parted out around here.

Quote:
For the throttle. Unplug the commander and just plug the ford harness into the throttle pedal
I did that.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:23 AM
jeremiahmercier
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Intake can be done with a 4-5" piece of 4"exhaust pipe and a filter of your choice, the cheapo spectra did fine for a long time before it began dusting the intake. Just lookup diy intake
Old 08-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Dodging Fords
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

On a side note, I am really liking this PSD. I always kind of laughed at them being a Cummins guy, but it runs pretty good for 225HP. I will say it doesn't have the low end pull like an equivalent 225HP Cummins, but I think the top end is probably a bit stronger. Kind of wish I had an auto, so that it would stay in that upper powerband sweet spot instead of it trying to have to climb back into it every time I shift with the 5 spd. I definitely wouldn't mind a 50HP tune to get it through the gears just a hair quicker in traffic.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:27 AM
Dodging Fords
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahmercier View Post
Intake can be done with a 4-5" piece of 4"exhaust pipe and a filter of your choice, the cheapo spectra did fine for a long time before it began dusting the intake. Just lookup diy intake
How much more noise is there with an open element filter? When I did that to my '01 Dodge, holy cow it was considerably noisier with a woooooshhh sound. I need it to be quiet, I have a hard enough time hearing and talking on the phone and trying to do 60mph.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 54
#1diesel-lvr, 7.3maniac, 94Matt, 95redpowerstroke, 97-7.3powerstroke, Baker82, BigChivas, bigred3/4, BillMcIntire, BMFNTOY, bracketracer, Bradbilt, Bugman, Choupique108, Cratos, Crowbar1020, csp, dizal, DNSPSD, Dodging Fords, f250towrig, f350plow, finny99, Freeze Plug, goosyboy, gsxr1216, hag000, halbig7, hendricksbus, highcountry, jd40, jeremiahmercier, jtgf250, Justincredible, kawamatt2, Kgaeta92, klos, MacDinho, madpogue, markfuga, Mr. Bob, OBSpstroke97, obsstroker95, old man dave, old Smokey, pff250hd, reyn7.3, salprofish, StandAlone, strokinainteasy, trevor.barzar, truck in progress, tsanjose, williameub