Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Got my S465/TN II set in tonight

5K views 61 replies 18 participants last post by  NastyCracker 
#1 ·
First off, no pics tonight, I'm too beat, lol! Probably tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I got the old stock turbo junk ripped off tonight, and then I set the Turbonetics stage II mount in there. I got my S465 set on the mount and that's as far as I went before I ran out of energy.

The compressor housing is close to the firewall insulation, about 1/4", but it's actually about 3/4" away from the firewall. It's also about 3/8" from the end of the wiper motor, so it also clears that fairly easily.

I didn't get the up-pipes set in, I will be putting newly used manifolds on(thanks Maintain!). I'm trying to use an OBS driver's manifold first, and if it doesn't work I'll look for a SD manifold. The passenger side manifold is the same so no worries there.

The downpipe looks fairly straight-forward, basically a 90* towards the rear out of the turbo, and then a 45* into my current 3" dp.

For anyone curious about it working with the stock fuel system, it will work if you tweak the pass. side line down slightly, and slightly grind/notch the front of the baseplate where it touches the back of the fuel pump.

I'm already loving this mount/turbo, I put the turbo on in pieces, turbine housing, center section, and then the comp housing, everything will be easy to hook up or take off.

Any questions post them up or send me a PM, I'm stoked! :D Oh and I don't forsee this being down for a few weeks, so please be patient.

Dave

See less See more
#3 ·
I gotta get mine ordered in the next couple of weeks, install, and charge the video camara.......:evil:evil:evil

#7 ·
I got a message on my phone this morning with a pic of it!! Looks good is all I can say!

-Michael

#9 ·
Here are some pics I took last night:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2189228140083864876XXavoA][/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2866544070083864876YXfRPG][/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2389741090083864876XnSLoq][/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2815176020083864876xqELfP][/URL]

Now I will say I'm looking right now for a comp housing that has a V-band outlet, so don't mind that big 4" hose outlet. :doh:

I'm mounting this at the same time as I do a custom big fuel system and a few other things, so keep an eye out for updated pictures as I get things in over the next few weeks.

Dave

#12 ·
How does this turbo compare to the H2E, and what kind of CFM does this turbo do. NICE LOOKING TURBO!:drool: Cost?

#13 ·
Good lookin' Turbo!! Makes mine look like a baby!!

#15 ·
A little update:

I got the up-pipes set in and the driver's side will definately NOT connect to an OBS manifold, if the pipe were ~2" longer at the flange it would fit great. And if you try to force them together the up-pipe hits the motor just before they touch.

So I am in need of a nice SD driver's manifold. :poke:

Also the pass. side up-pipe bellows is restricting my routing of my 3" dp slightly.

I'm sure with a little hammering you could get it in there, but I am choosing to skip that, and just cut the necessary hole/slot in the firewall and re-skin it for a 4" dp. I'm not going to waste my time if it's only for a 3" dp, I'll do one better and go 4".

I'll put up pics tomorrow, the camera's still at the shop.

Dave

#16 ·
You said that you're using turbonetis mounting kit and you will have to run sd manifolds for the install. Do you think the uppipes could be lengthened or shortened and still fit, or sd manifords are the only option?

#17 ·
My H2E kit was originally for a SD and I've had it on 2 OBS trucks now, I can't imagine them being that different, but I guess they are.

-Michael

#18 ·
The pass. side manifold is the same for a SD or OBS, mine just happens to be cracked in half, so it needs replaced.

I was hoping to be able to tweak the left up-pipe like on an H2e kit, but that will not work. The pipe could be lengthened, but if I'm swapping one manifold, I'll swap both and make it fit properly. I was planning on coating them, I've got a nice set of blasted and polished OBS manifolds sitting here.

Dave

#20 ·
Yes I did, thanks for the info. I'm going to be using all AN fittings and hose ends though, so I found a nice piece JEG's sells with AN ends.

Dave

#23 ·
I put JIC fittings on the end of my hose. . .

-Michael

#28 ·
A pair of them:

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2625863540083864876aiVums][/URL]

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2667358270083864876TsfopM][/URL]

There is tons of clearance for fuel lines to the backs of the heads, but not much room for a dp, you can squeeze a 3" in there if you want over top of the pass. side bellows, but I'm just going to section my firewall and put a 4" in there, it's what I wanted anyways. If you look in some of the previous pics, you can see a stock turbo dp comes up right where the pass. side up-pipe is. A 3" can be run though.

I'm also swapping to SD trans and oil dipsticks and tubes for better clearance for my fuel fitting in the pass. side head and my pass. side IC pipe.

Dave

#30 ·
If you are asking me that question I think I still have my old BD Power chip around here somewhere.

But back on topic: Since I pretty much have everything torn out that was stock, I'm waiting on parts at this point. So I guess I'm going to take my front end back off to put in my intercooler. :doh:

Any advice or install tips?

It's a Banks SD cooler(sucks, I know), but hey, it's better than what I had(nothing!), it was the right price(free), and the cooler I really wanted(Spearco 6.0) is sitting right next to it for my Boss' truck(Thanks Buddy @ VAB for the custom 4" inlet/outlet!).

Dave

#32 ·
I've heard that about their IC's too, but compared to the Spearco 6.0 IC it's sitting next to, it looks like a piece 'o crap! LOL Now if my boss would only head to the UP for the weekend, I could put that Spearco in my truck! :D

Dave

#35 ·
Finally got around to giving you guys an UPDATE:

The truck is RUNNING! :evil It's been a longer process than I planned on, I've been extremely busy with other things that took me away from the project too much.

While doing the turbo project I've also rebuilt the entire fuel system to comp. status(thread w/pics to come later), mounted an IC, and did alot of other small stuff to it that it needed.

I just need to finish up building my 5" intake and make my intake Y to go from the IC tube to the intake plenums. The 90's for the Y will be here tomorrow, so I'm hoping to have this thing DRIVING by the weekend.

I wound up just running a 3" dp, it actually fits quite nicely now and it has a breaker clamp near the firewall so I can pull the top portion off easily.

I bought the IC pipes off the guy on eBay someone posted up about a few weeks ago, they actually work pretty good, they could use a good polish job though.

My billet plenums are custom pieces a friend of mine and myself came up with, they are o-ringed at the face that goes against the head, we will see how well that works. :ford:

Also I got a flanged compressor housing and dp flange from the guys at Engineered Diesel, it seems they build alot of these turbos for the Cummins crowd, so they knew exactly what I needed.

I think that pretty much sums it up. The truck currently has stock AA's in it because we put my old stage II's into a buddies truck.

Just for kicks we will see how they do with the S465, and I will swap my 275's in shortly after I'm happy the kinks are worked out of all the new stuff.

Enough talk, here's the most recent pic, before the dp was finished:

As usual, any questions, comments feel free.......:poke:

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.