Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

hard cold weather starts?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  6L strokin 
#1 ·
How is the 6.0 compared to the 7.3 with cold weather starts? My 7.3 barely starts in the extreme cold. Thinking about trading it in for a 05 King Ranch.

#3 ·
Pretty much all 6.0s will eventually have sticky injector spools. The inductive heat flash helps a bunch, but they still hate cold weather.
You might have problems with your 7.3. My '97 with 200k starts up fine with temps in the teens.

Justin

#4 ·
With little complaint, my 03 6.0 pops off at 0F. With a lot of complaint, it'll still pop off at -15F.

By -20F, I better be plugging in or driving something else.

#5 ·
i decided not to sell the 7.3 its still practically brand new, barely got 114k miles on it. And its paid off, I dont really need a truck payment right now, i only got a guaranteed job for another 6 months, then im out of the military.

#6 ·
My dads 6.0L fires off like a champ right down to single digits , WTS plus a second to two and up and running without a hitch. Mine on the other hand is very finiky and will sometimes fire right up at 5° and then hate life at 40° but always eventually starts, not sure now if its a sticking spool valve or if an injector is leaking down. Our 7.3L will fire up no problems either, oh and all three trucks never get plugged in.

#8 ·
Thats pretty much mine, went out one morning to start it up around 10° opened the door and spent about 3 minutes cranking/waiting/cranking before it finally fired up and stayed alive. Dad comes out just after that walks over to his truck, key in, wait... 20 seconds light goes off... crank... fire and idle

#9 ·
I can get my '06 to fire down to about 0 without a hitch any colder and it needs plugged in. Now that i don't drive it except about 3 months a year.. it struggles to start in warm weather, my dads '06 did good at -20... My 7.3 will do about as good as my dads '06

#10 ·
the injectors i got from josh started better than both sets of stock ones ive ran in mine...guess its whatever coating he puts on the spools or w/e helps out a lot....other than that, if you can plug your truck in, do it! and itll start just fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.