Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ebay headlights w/HID ??

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  FlossyB 
#1 ·
Ive read a lot of threads about these "cheap" headlights, and taken everyone's comments into consideration, so my question isn't about the quality of the light housing its about HID, halo, and integrated fog light.

Ive read that the HID are to bright, blinds on coming traffic, getting drivers flashing you.

1)so my question is are the HID worth getting, Im not expecting much for the price, but will they be better than reg bulbs, and best color.
2)and are the halo just looks or do they make any diff for light,
3)and does anyone have input on the lights that have the fog light integrated
my truck doesn't have factory fog light in bumper

thank for your input and advise, any pics of these aftermarket lights on white trucks would also be great, thx

99 f250 crew cab

#2 ·
1) Yes, they are worth getting if you have the HIDs in a projector made for them. Then you can aim them correctly, and will not be flashed by oncoming drivers. As for color, I prefer either 4300K (yellowish like halogen) or 5000K (pure white)...4300K has the greatest amount of light output, and as you go higher the light output decreases. If you like having a tint of blue in your lights, go for 6000K.

2) Pretty much just for looks. You'll have to get some super bright Halos before you notice any difference....and that would be at a very short distance (not something to use for driving).

3) Sorry, I can't really help you here.

There are people who will retrofit the projectors into your housings too if you want to go that route. For some reason I cannot think of the user's name right now, but there is a user here who sells the headlight housings already retrofitted. I'm sure I'll remember the name later (or someone else will chime in with it). You can also retrofit the housings yourself too.

The second post in this topic has a couple pics of a white truck with HIDs http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231081

I'll try to grab a couple decent shots of my truck later to show you what my retrofit looks like.

#3 ·
#4 ·
The Ebay lights do not have a fog light built in, they use the projector for low and the regular light for high and switch from one to another. The reason they do this is because the projectors are cheap and do not have a moving shield to provide high beams out of the same unit, unlike a higher quality OEM projector or morimoto retrofits. On that note, my buddy has them, and we did 55 watt 5000K morimoto bulbs and ballasts, did the writing mod in the steering column so high and lows both come on at once and ran 2 relay harnesses, using the plug that came with the headlights to control the relay harness. The light output is better than stock by far, comparing 2 H13 bulbs halogen vs 4 55 watt xenon bulbs on high. Not plug and play but the effort is worth it. Running hids in those lights you have to do the high and low at same time mod, or you'll go a couple seconds in the dark when switching beams. Also did the Bambi mod, with switch, for his 3000K fogs and it's an amazing amount of light with all 6 on.

#6 ·
I personally bough the headlamps off of eBay and went to my local stereo shop to have them swap out and change the bulbs and install the ballast for HID. I went with 6000K which are a little less bright and don't ever get flashed by oncoming traffic. I purchased a set of KC lights that I put on a bull bar and use these for my fog lights same bulbs and 6000K ballast but bought the whole kit off eBay. The ballast were junk and took a $hit on me within a couple months so I had to fork up more money for new ones. I recommend buying the housing you like and getting the bulbs and ballast locally so you know what your getting. Just my .2c

#7 ·
I can personally attest to the OPT7 AC 55w HID KIT H13 Bi-Xenon 8000K Ice Blue Beam Headlight Conversion Light ( 140929218286 ) from Burkemotopros on FleaBay being garbage. If you count high and low as two beams in each light, I received ONE working light from them. I have to assume all these kits are the same Chinese garbage. And only one working is right out of the box, this isn't after I submerged the truck up to the ballasts and then drove over a bed of railroad ties for five miles.

Lots of people will sell you $600+ headlights, but unless you're gonna send them your OEM plastic bezels you can count on the cheap Chinese plastic they use to pit and cloud. On top of that, $600+ is kinda dumb to spend on a light IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.