7.3 randomly quits - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 7.3L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 PM
george german
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

7.3 randomly quits

I have an 03 f350 7.3 the truck starts and runs great then out of nowhere it will quit like you turned the key off. After pulling over it will start up and away we go might run a 100 miles or it might not run for 5 miles. The thing is when you pull over unless you turn the key to off it will not start.
turn the key off fires right up I have replaced cps icp and irp.
Some time I want to associate the quiting when I hit a bump or pothole
not to sure . Could use a little help just today pulling the camper it quit at 70 mph what a ride cant steer or stop w/10,000 camper. it quit 5 times in 20 miles after we got off the interstate. any info would help the thing is that it starts up.
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 12:11 AM
Matt-F350
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Re: 7.3 randomly quits

Try a new cam position sensor. Get it from Ford or International.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 AM
george german
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

replaced it with one from IH no change
Old 07-28-2013, 12:54 PM
barnhartal
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

To properly diaganosis you need a good scanner. Ae is 350$ its a great investment if you plan on owning the truck for any sort of time.

Besides you'll probably waste that trying to fix it by throwing parts at it.
FULL FORCE 160/30'S.
RIFFRAFF Hrx & Frx.
Leveling kit, 285's
Van turbo/ 38r hybrid.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM
george german
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

yea your prob right I have the idm out of it now looking for a bad wire no such luck did find that the little breather or vent was missing and there is an open hole in the thing wondering if it can be tested . Anyone have a quiting problem with an idm

Last edited by george german; 07-28-2013 at 11:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 PM
george german
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

anyone
Old 07-28-2013, 11:17 PM
george german
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

my son was driving the truck one time he said that when he slammed the door the truck would quit he claims it did it a couple times
Old 08-24-2013, 11:05 PM
george german
PSN Newb
Member's Gallery

I think I might have found a problem pcm I think is under the dash next to the e brake
it seems to be loose I was under there pulling on wires I noticed it is just flopping around
tapped on it and the truck quit but I only had it quit once any ideas. was on the interstate and the truck quit pulled over restarted it hit the rumble strip and the thing quit did this about 5 times before I could get back on the road ran like a champ for 300 miles where can I get a pcm and can I get a reman and how much are they
Old 08-25-2013, 02:02 AM
FL-DIESEL
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by george german View Post
I think I might have found a problem pcm I think is under the dash next to the e brake
it seems to be loose I was under there pulling on wires I noticed it is just flopping around
tapped on it and the truck quit but I only had it quit once any ideas. was on the interstate and the truck quit pulled over restarted it hit the rumble strip and the thing quit did this about 5 times before I could get back on the road ran like a champ for 300 miles where can I get a pcm and can I get a reman and how much are they
before doing that check and see if the harness bolt isnt loose
Old 08-25-2013, 06:36 AM
hydro man
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

As FL said - make sure the bolt on the engine side of the firewall is tight. There should be a black plastic box that the PCM is enclosed in on the inside as well. It supports/protects the PCM - held to the kick panel with a couple of small bolts.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 72
97250HD, 99WHITESTROKE, ascrap2003, barnhartal, BillMcIntire, Bobs 7.3, cablebandit, cannontruckin, catsnw, celltech, codykthekilla, COFG-28, CumminsRanger, David N, dbincolo, diesel78, dieselboy01, Expd, finny99, FL-DIESEL, fordcrew, george german, ghohouston, Hansel, harleycamper, hoist00, houtxfdcapt, hunter scar, hwhizbang, hydro man, IHPowerstroke7.3, jaybuller, jboord, jefsred350, joshua.a.rackley, jtgf250, juvenile9, Kgaeta92, kilapapipa, Kohrnholio, Matt-F350, maxtrax, meandog06, Mike W, mpendy, mwalsh9152, N3VR L8, nbfire388, NotMatt, patrickjohn2, Powerstroke Man 6.4, Rickey2oo4, rmcarter, Rowe, RyanG85, s10mike, SirStrokeAlot, Slated4Greatness, SledDogg, smoking69, southmike, SSSimon, stoutlogic, Strohl-03, strokin03, SuperDoodie, tbolt, tecatehubbs, Timmy, umpalumpa1985, usmcpsd, VeggieOilDoug