Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

400 reliable HP

5K views 56 replies 15 participants last post by  TRUBBS 
#1 ·
how hard is it to get 400 hp out of a 95 PSD. i want to tow and not have egts thru the roof/ Lookin at putting a 95 psd in my 86

#27 ·
no need for hybrids....

my setup is more then 420hp and so far haven't had any problems for around 25,000 HARD miles...
i have... stock turbo, 17* HPOP (was around 415hp with my 15* HPOP), stock fuel system, stock trans, and stage II 160cc injectors, and an intercooler with tony wildman tuning

#3 ·
add an intercooler to the list as well if it is a OBS

#9 ·
I'm going to be blasted for this, but I think in your case going from one mech engine(IDI) to another (12v cummins):gun: will be more cost effective and easier swap than to put a powerstroke in the 86.

#5 ·
I'm working on finishing my truck that I'm shooting for a 400-450hp capable truck that I can still tow with fine.

I'm using Swamps 200cc hybrids, SD fuel pump/regulated return, Moddified H2E, and Swamps programs. I've got a Haisley Machine Street puller(a little overkill) also, but I don't see why a Con-OFE or equivalent isn't capable of holding up to that.

With the 200's my stock HPOP has no problem maintaining High pressure oil. The extra cost of the small hybrids was worth it to not have to have the hassle of an aftermarket oil system.

-Michael

#7 ·
No, I don't think it won't be necessary with the Modded H2E. I had the same H2E on my '94 with 275cc A-codes and EGTs stayed resonablely in check with it then, but that was 4.10's also.

-Michael

#8 ·
O ok. cuz my D60 i am putting in is 4:10's. I'm gonna regear the rear diff to 4:10's and 315's tires. I 'm pickin up a 96 ZF5 tomorrow. It will be my tow truck /work truck/weekend raise hell truck:D

#10 ·
Your easiest thing to do is swap a psd cab onto your truck and hang your fenders on it, the cabs are pretty much the same but the wiring is a nightmare, Nothing is plug and play. I know a guy that swapped a psd into a 92 and he hated life, lol But a newer cab with your old clip on it looks good.

Do like dieselfever said Swamps 200cc Hybrids on stock oil, Superduty Regulated Return electric fuel syste, With a modified H2E or maybe even a 38r

Travis

#11 ·
Your easiest thing to do is swap a psd cab onto your truck and hang your fenders on it, the cabs are pretty much the same but the wiring is a nightmare, Nothing is plug and play. I know a guy that swapped a psd into a 92 and he hated life, lol But a newer cab with your old clip on it looks good.
Travis
we did it to our old ats turbo, she last just over 450k when she blew and we swapped the stroker in, in just over a week. it really wasnt all that hard, just ALOT of time and work.

#13 ·
I'm figuring 400-450hp, every truck is different. I plan on running out of fuel before I run out of air with my Modified H2E, that is with 30% EH nozzles.

-Michael

#19 ·
Yes, 130% overall(Stock + 30%) if you want to get technical :poke:

-Michael

#23 ·
Should be forged. That being said I personally won't 100% believe what rods are in an engine unless I see them in person.

sorry for butting in but how little will a hybrid smoke??
I usually don't take my truck off of the 'kill' setting and smoke control with the 200/30%'s is fine, watch my mirror and roll into the throttle just enough to keep smoke at a very miminum and still have good take off from gear to gear.

I can pretty much drive around virtually smokeless even with the stock turbo, all of it is controlled by your foot. The nozzle plays a big role in smoke also.

-Michael

#25 ·
lukecline did over 400 with stage 2's h2e, fuel system, and tuning, stock oil and rods.

thats what im going for but im gonna do it with stage 2's electric fuel, tuning, stock oil and a gt38r or van turbo for now sequentials in the futures with the gtp38r and possibly a gt4202. oil later as money permits

#32 ·
I BELIEVE that the flat covered pumps are generally 15's and the domed cover pumps are generally 17's. Should be the cover toward the back of the pump.

Don't quote me on this, and don't take it for the truth. It's kind of a hit and miss way, but better than nothing I guess.

Best bet would be to find what the build date was on the truck the engine was in, I'd say.

#33 ·
Well i bought the 99(early) engine yesterday. no hPOP, turbo,pedistal,or oil cooler. But i figure i could part it out for twice that or i can build that and sell my complete running 95 engine. Can the stock forged rods take the 250 hybrids? will a modded h2e have lag at the bottom w 4:10's , 315's and a 5 spd?

#34 ·
Can the stock forged rods take the 250 hybrids? will a modded h2e have lag at the bottom w 4:10's , 315's and a 5 spd?
They Should. . .

That sounds like a great combo!

-Michael

#36 ·
Ok cuz i'm figuring on building this engine once! i want to get as much out of it as i can and still be able to tow w it. Will a 99 all alum intercooler be too restrictive w a modded h2e turbo? And what exactily is the difference between a stsndard h2e turbo and the modded one

#37 ·
Depending on what you have done to the modded, the base mod it changing the compressor wheel from the 62mm to a 66mm, then you have some options on exhaust wheels and housings.

-Michael

#40 ·
Thanks guy. I'm just trying to gather parts or at least know what to go w if a deal comes up. This swap prob woulnt take place untill next winter. So i dont rush myself into buying something cuz its cheap and not what i really want/need. Think i will need head studs or aftermarket head gaskets?

#44 · (Edited)
so your saying go buy aftermarket forged rods?

My old 2000 f350 6spd i beat the snot out of it and i had the infamous black cloud TS chip in it. It took everthing i gave it and i never had any problems. I never turner the chip off 140:D Even grossing25k

#47 ·
As long as you have '96+ heads then I would just use factory Late '99 plenums. That is what I'm doing on my '97 anyway.

-Michael

#48 ·
O. My 95 heads wouln't accept the late 99 +up pleniums? O what size bolt holds the trans on? I pick up my 99 engine tues and i want to just put on the stand and i dont have any bolts:doh: what size cowl is that on you truck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.