Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 turbo on 7.3

8K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  TECH51 
#1 ·
#13 ·
The sound is distorted in the FLV format (very bad down-conversion).
I managed to upload the full-size full-quality video (640x480 30fps) on another webpage. It might take some time to download to your computer but it looks and sounds better.

6.0L turbo video

But even in this video, the sound isn't perfect, it's the limitation of the camera microphone and digital sampling.

As for real performance, I couldn't hit more than 22psi of boost with my stock turbo and small mods here and there. The 6.0L VGT will give me 35psi no problem, almost off idle if I want. It's all in the programming for the turbo.

morempg said:
almost looks like he is running oil straight to where the solenoid use to be
Travis, the solenoid is still there, that's what moves the vanes. But this turbo is such a tight fit that it's hard to see what all is there. :)

Lou

#9 ·
Empire Diesel has done some of these swaps. They said it definitely flows more air. Pretty much I think they decided for the time and $$ put into it you would be a lot further ahead to go with something like a mod-h2e, etc.

Justin

#10 ·
I like it, but don't think I would ever do the swap.

#11 ·
I've been wondering about this myself. Between a 6.0L turbo and something from some CE equipment, dual VV turbos in a compound arrangement would the sooo awesome.
Use a microcontroller, and you can tweak each turbo's position to get the most efficiency possible out of them.
Tack on some TPS signal input, and it will go to max boost (within reason, RPM based) at the drop of the pedal.

#17 ·
VGT controller: I am currently using a very simple analog way to control the vanes. It is NOT perfect at all but it functions well enough to get me around in the truck (otherwise without a controller, the vanes would be completely open and I'd barely get a few pounds out of the turbo at full power).
I am working on a fully digital microprocessor controller but that project is on a back burner right now (because I'm working on my other Ford, the big block in my boat - a few interesting projects).

Performance gain: I don't have any dyno numbers (yet) but as I said before, I nearly doubled my boost levels at the top and of course I get a lot more boost at lower engine loads and lower rpms.
Engine is stock with stock injectors.

Setup: finding a 6.0L turbo isn't very hard but the right flanges will have you chasing them around. Fortunatelly, my friend who did most of the fabrication work had all the necessary flanges and clamps from another truck so we just needed to weld it onto my up-pipe collector, down-pipe and make a different X-spider. A person who's handy in fabricating won't have much trouble welding this all up on a slow weekend.

Bill now wants a 6.0L unit on his truck so when we tackle it, we'll take pictures and write instructions.

Lou

#19 ·
So when could you come up with a VGT controller and possibly sell them ?

thanks steve
In the next few months, I'm hoping.
As I mentioned earlier, I made myself pretty busy with a higher priority project this winter so that we can finally sail out on the water again after 5 long years.

Lou

#20 ·
Very cool setup, sounds awesome.That'd be interesting to see what numbers you actually could make with that. It's weird to hear the 7.3 sound with the 6.0 whistle.Nice color of your truck, you don't see many of those around.What CB antennas are those? I was thinking of putting some like that on mine, but most likely with mirror mounts

#21 ·
Now the real challage is to slap one on an idi LOL:doh::aiwebs_001:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.