Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

pulling cab without lift?

47K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  NSTYDSL 
#1 ·
can it be done without using a lift?

#2 ·
you could do it with jacks blocks. you would have to take the bow and nose off and lift the cab,roll the chassis forward and set the cab on the rear section of the rail.removing the nose makes clearance for the engine so you can roll the chassis forward. kyle

#5 ·
that does not work on a super duty....you have to lift the cab higher to go back with it than to go forward with it....

Pulling a cab with a lift is fairly straight forward, with a hoist....I have done it with a forklift before as well...but you are goin to need a jack on the floor to lift the cab pretty high to clear the engine.....for a dyi'er it is much easier to pull the motor if you don't have the means to lift it with anything other that a floor jack.....motor is not to bad, your first time will take a day, I can have one on the floor in 2 hours now.....not to bad....

#6 ·
If your going to do it, heres what you need to do....

Disconnect any radiator plumbing, intercooler plumbing, etc to the front of the truck, also any trans cooler lines, pwr steering lines to coolers etc.... Disconnect the brakes, on a superduty the abs mod is under the drivers bat. pull the 2 lines that go to the frame....dissconnect all your heater hoses, and the ground on the back of the block to the firewall. Pull the rear seat out of the cab, and roll the carpet up to the back seats. Pull the 4 cab bolts out behind the ft seats....roll the carpet down from the firewall and pull the 2 cab bolts there as well, Pull the 2 bolts from the radiator support on the front of the truck...make sure you have disconnected the steering shaft, MAKE SURE the steering wheel is locked so you dont break the airbag clock spring, the wheel should not be allowed so spin freely...disconnect the wiring harness from the valve cover on the engine, and all the trans harnesses on the drivers side fenderwell, as well if you have any guages in the truck disconnect all of them as well...pull the battery cables and place them all on top of the engine

then lift very slowly and watch the front bumper as you go up sometimes it will hang on coolers, or sheilds that are up there....some people remove the bumpr I don't....then hoist away....you will have to get it up a good 3 feet to clear the engine.

#10 ·
on a psd do u have to pull the cab to get the engine out? on a cummins u just hook to cherry picker and pull...

#12 ·
No reason to pull the cab or engine either one to do studs, injectors, valve springs or anything else on the top end. It's not as easy but why fiddle with pulling the cab if you don't have to?

If it were a 6.0 I could understand but not a 7.3.

#13 ·
ohh, but i bet its easier to work on a cummins.....
mopar makes it
CUMMINS shakes it

#20 ·
I don't see why it would be harder...to lift the cab you really need help, and a lift makes life much easier as well.

Pulling the engine, you'd be able to do it by yourself, and a simple engine hoist or loader bucket and chain would suffice...Plus it seems to me like it would be easier to forget something pulling the cab and not the engine.

#23 ·
:blah: some one already forgot to tell you about the e-brake cable ,the shifting linkage, the abs connectors in the finder wells ,air lines , starter power supply,ect, more then they are telling you.I do them all the time.for the 7.3 just pull the engine . a motor is electric!- - good luck Ron

:ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.