Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

question for the community.

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  PowerstrokeGuy990 
#1 ·
Since I will be pulling the heads off in a few weeks time.

would you guys appreciate a write up on how to DIY studs without needing a lift?

#5 ·
basically the write-up would be taking the box off and setting the cab back where the box was using floor jacks and then detailed instructions on throwing studs in. to save the average person a few bucks (like myself)

and also fixing a few weak points on the engine.

#11 ·
To be honest, that sounds like a total PITA, and I'm not sure it's going to work. How are you going to jack it up high enough with floorjacks(you'll need 4 of them). If you're going to use jacks, roll the chassis out from under the cab.

If you have absolutely no way of getting a spot on a lift, you could try Danny's method with the forklift and straps through the window openings. :D

If you're willing to do that much work, it would be easier/faster to pull the entire front clip off, fenders and all, and then you'd have the room you need.

Dave

#13 ·
I made a stand to hold my cab up out of 4x4's. It has wheels on it so all I do is jack up the cab, slide the stand under it, drop it on the stand, and roll it away.

#14 ·
If you take out the air box on the pass. side, the whole side is easy. You have to evacuate the a/c though. (if you don't have evac equipment then oops, it sprung a leak. Hope you don't get caught cause it's like a $20,000 fine. NOTE: I don't support this, just know it happens a lot) many shops can do it for you, then recharge it when you're done.

To do the driver side, why not just loosen the cab bolts & slide it back a little? You may need to do the same for the bed to get proper clearance.

Also, you could just pull the engine. then it's all in front of you. It's not that much more time as opposed to pulling the cab.

You cannot just remove the front clip though. the structure is spot welded as one unit. NOT AN OPTION

#15 ·
I think that would be my option with limited space, just pull the motor and go to town, even with the cab up and off it makes for a nice easy working area but not nearly as good as with the motor on a stand. I'm not 100% sure but I believe you have to pull the turbo and the entire front clip except for the header panel or whatever to get the motor out. While its out you could clean up any brake lines or other things in the engine bay as well. Maybe give the motor a nice coat of paint or something.

#17 ·
Its a pain but they can be done in the truck. Worst part is prob taking the y-pipe off. Im not sure how you would get the head off unless u could fab up a braket kinda like what we have here at the dealership. Here is a link to Rotunda who sells the tool for like $90 http://www.fordspecialtools.com/Search.aspx
you just hook it to an engine hoist on lift um out

If you take out the heater box its not to horrible (easier then pullin the engine..i hate pullin engines lol) hardest part is toquein the damn heads

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.