Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

DIY cab lifting.

14K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  jdc753 
#1 ·
So we got a idea on removing my cab for my truck but what I want to know is. I had a mod Idea that I think would be pretty cool

what if you could tilt the entire front clip up like a big rig instead of having to pull the cab all the damn time? :(

some of us are poor when it comes to shop prices and those who DIY need solutions.

just an idea.

#2 ·
wouldnt help with head studs or removing the heads but for many other areas of repair or moding it would be helpful. this would also be expensive to do on a sd, i should say it would be expensive to do it right and have it look good. i would save your money if you already have a garage,you could put a 10,000 pound lift in for around 3000 bucks. thats just my 2 cents.

#4 ·
I thought of the same thing this weekend, but I think the other guys are right, unless you could do a full fibergalss front clip, but again that would be pricey, but no one has a lift at a track.

#5 ·
well I don't have enough height in my garage to put a lift in.

so far the way I am removing it is taking the box off. then lifting the cab with jacks and rolling the chassis forward and setting it down.

giving full access to the motor.

#8 ·
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Master-Series-XL-9BP-Base-Plate-Two-Post-Lift-p/tp-xl-9bp.htm

This lift only needs 9ft 3 inches of ceiling height. If you have an 8 foot ceiling or rafters just cut a hole in the ceiling. You should only need to cut 2 rafters and that would give you a 6 foot wide hole to send the cab up through. The hood would just go up against the ceiling part that is not cut out. You would then just bolt brackets off the lift post to support the center of the two rafters you cut off. If your garge is heated you sould easily be able to put in another ceiling in there above the hoist. Basically have a tray ceiling in your garage.

Or if you have a decent size yard, just pour two cement tube footers into the gound about 5 feet and then set this lift on them. Just make sure you watch the weather forcast and make sure you have a couple clear days. Then everytime you want to change your tires or your buddies they can come over and help pay for that lift. There was a shop a couple town over that burnt down. The guy didn't have enough insurance to put the building back up so he just worked on the lifts on the cement slab. Just put a little shed to keep all his tools and suppiles. He was closed on rainy days. Did this for about 3 years before he saved up enough money to put the building back up.

#9 ·
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Master-Series-XL-9BP-Base-Plate-Two-Post-Lift-p/tp-xl-9bp.htm

This lift only needs 9ft 3 inches of ceiling height. If you have an 8 foot ceiling or rafters just cut a hole in the ceiling. You should only need to cut 2 rafters and that would give you a 6 foot wide hole to send the cab up through. The hood would just go up against the ceiling part that is not cut out. You would then just bolt brackets off the lift post to support the center of the two rafters you cut off. If your garge is heated you sould easily be able to put in another ceiling in there above the hoist. Basically have a tray ceiling in your garage.
I think I have maybe 7.5 feet in my garage. My dads 08 does not fit in it and my 03 BARELY fits in there.

#11 ·
Can anybody find a price on that thing? I can't find one anywhere or even how to order.

#16 ·
Still needs anchors in the floor though.

#18 ·
Those lifts are awsome. Been looking at buying the lot next door to me. Soon as we can agree on a price I'll have it. Then time to design a garage, I do know that it will have a high ceiling. May have to factor in one of those lifts into my price now. LOL

#19 ·
Only rated for 6,000lbs won't work on my Ex but very cool.

#21 ·
I got to figuring the price of have headstuds done in my truck, so I went to my buddy who has a new shop. He just went out on his own, he has been a mechanic for 20 years. He built him a shop, so I asked him about a lift, he said he was going to wait tilll he had the money to buy one. Well, I found a 10,000 lb Rotary for $900 that a guy had, he was in a bad tight for money. My buddy told me that if I would buy the lift for him we could do Studs, egr delete, regulated return, head gaskets, and I could use it whenever I neede it. So now my buddy has a lift and I am saving up to buy all my parts.

#22 ·
Now that sounds like a smokin deal right there. Rotary lifts are very nice. Most quotes I have seen is about $1,500 for labor on doing studs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.