Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Garage door remote mod

3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Gaius 
#1 ·
Hey just wanted to share my garage door controller mod with you guys...

I soldered two wires to the contacts inside my garage remote that activates the door, easy to find just find where the button hits the circut board then flip it over and you will see the soldered contacts, just take a screw driver and "jump" the contacts and your garage door should open, if it does just solder your two wires to them. doesn't matter which wire goes where. Easy on the heat from your soldering iron so you don't damage your board.

Electronics Green Technology Electronic device Circuit component

Then get a momentary switch of your choice and connect your two wires to it and mount where you like!

Vehicle Auto part Speedometer Car Tachometer

Then just stuff your remote opener where you can hide it (can also take out the circut board from the opener case if space is an issue) just make sure it is easily accessible for battery changes!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

See less See more
#2 ·
cool never even thought of doing something like that. looks a lot better than the big thing hanging on the visor and falling off all the time. i wonder if there would be any possible way to hard wire it into the fuse box so you dont have do mess with batteries on the remote anymore. im not good with electrical but hopefully someone else could chime in on doing that. its cool though. thanks for the write-up.

#3 ·
If there is a way to make 12v power it, hell of an idea!

#4 ·
Never even thought about hard wiring it to the truck...would eliminate the need for a battery!

#5 ·
I would imagine with the use of resistors or something like that it would be possible and I guess be just like having it installed from the factory.

#6 ·
Or you can buy a truck with "Home Link" then it's built into your sun-visor. :)

#7 ·
thats an option i wasnt able to add onto my used truck purchase.

#8 ·
Yah too bad it wasn't possible to just get the Home Link sun visor and wire it in.

#11 ·
Anything is possible....but this only set me back $4.00 and I'm a happy camper!

#9 ·
i like the original idea better though. its more concealed and less obvious.

#10 ·
and probably a hell of a lot cheaper too.

#12 ·
:whs:
Keep it simple stupid.

#13 ·
#14 ·
put a different switch for each contact. like he said in the write-up. take it apart and youll see where the different buttons hit.

#15 ·
Its possible to run the opener off of the truck bad but you need more than a few resistors you needs a voltage regulator that goes real low....you guys got me thinking, get the visor home link one and take it apart and run the switch under the rubber from the stock home link one?

#16 ·
I wired my control right into the 12v system, and have had no problems for 10 years. My control and button are mounted in the little black plastic panel on the drivers door at the back side of the mirror mount. I also mounted it "hot wired so I can open the garage at any time, know one would ever notice the button. During my current "truck remodel" I had a custom carling "Garage" switch made but decided not to use it because it was quite noticable.

#18 ·
Putting that garage door opener on a 12v probably allows it to work about 5 miles away from the garage door. Hahaha

#20 ·
If your truck is running, it could be up to 14.5v....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.