Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Which is best for me?

5K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  mytmousef350 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
## I'm in the same boat as PSDfan99.
I'm restarting an old thread that PSDfan99 started a while ago.
[FONT=&quot]I use my truck as a daily driver and tow trailers (mainly my own 4 camping and I deliver & P/U cust campers occasionally). Since I started reading about fuel mods it makes me think I may need to do something to my “Blue OX”.
I have a couple of questions tho.
I like the idea of the Fuel Tank/Pre-Pump kit from Denis (ITP) w/ the Hutch and Harpoon mod.
- But don't you think with those mods you would need to add a lift pump? The added restriction of the filter might place an additional load on the factory fuel pump. I've read some ppl have had to pre-maturely replace the factory fuel pump often due to the additional restriction. Welcome to guzzle's Helper/Lift pump Web Page .
- What and how much is the Air Dog and/or Raptor in comparison?
- Is that instead of the Fuel Tank/Pre-Pump kit w/ the Hutch and Harpoon mod or additional?
- Also besides educating me on all this, what’s the RR all about? How would that fit in the equation and price comparison?
I’m also on a budget as I’m sure we all are these days. So the best bang for the buck is what I'm after as well...

Sorry 4 all the?'s. I'm a novice and I'm learning as I go (From you guys). I just like the idea for getting rid of the air and have a quieter, better running longer lasting injectors/engine... I'm waiting for my 203* thermo mod w/ billet housing & dual alt upper radiator hose to install (since my thermo got stuck open 2 days ago). This seems to be the next mod for me. I was going to do the HID mod from Retro-Solutions, and the external coolant bypass filter system also. I think that’s about it. This is all addicting tho. Always something else ..

P.S. Links to products and/or part #'s would be helpful

My album; past and present projects:

http://www.flickr.com/gp/9617164@N07/70P5m7
-mytmousef350

02' F350 QuadCAB LB-Tuk-it retractable cap-Hadley Ambas.AirHorns-remote strt/alrm-GarminGPS-SiriusSAT-DVD-LineX-ReeseSIG.5thwhl-frnt 2"receiver-ton LED'Sw/side running light blinker mod-Golight remoteSPOT-MidlandWEATHER/CB/200amp,Wilson5000ANT-BANKS POWER PACKw/Pwr elbow,Gauges/pillar,Trans cm-Bilsteins-Steering Stab-Michelin LTX M/T tires-Zoodad Mod-Donaldson Air w/fender mod-6.0 trans cooler mod.-AIS-AIH mod-CCV mod-Marinco plug-Deep trans pan-Airlift airbags w/on board compressor/gauge-AMSoil synthetic oil all-c better mirrors-2006 Forestriver Cherokee305B-2~125watt solarPNLSw/4 Itn.BAT.-Xantrex2500watt inverter-besides other # add ons.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Re: Fuel Mod Which is best for me?

I started to look into the Air Dog, FASS, and the RR they are nice set ups, but man a lot of $$$$ ~ $500 -$700.
Maybe over kill for me..?? ..

The pre pump/in tank mod kit from ITP @ $160 seems more reasonable. And isn't it kind of the same out come (effect)? ITP 7.3L Fuel Tank / Pre-Pump Kit
So do you think by doing the pre pump/in tank mod, a pump will still be needed and is the walbro pump too much or a good combo for the filter included in the ITP kit? Does the walbro pump cause any computer problems or such, by replacing it from the stock pump?
On Guzzel's web site, Guzzle mentions a smaller Carter P4070 $60 electric fuel pump installed in parallel with the stock pump. It is rated 5 - 6 psi, 72GPH Welcome to guzzle's Helper/Lift pump Web Page
Would this be the way to go with the pre pump/in tank mod kit from ITP ? Its a bit cheaper. Or is it too small?

#4 ·
Re: Fuel mod ~ Which is best for me?

I'm just looking to improve the stock set up for my purpose of highway & towing use ... I just like the idea for getting rid of the air and have a quieter, better running, more efficient, longer lasting injectors, running engine... I know installing an airdog or fass kit is prob best, but a bit much $$$for me now & since the rest of the fuel system is stock... I figure doing something is better than nothing at all (leaving it stock). So I'm thinking of going the route of installing the pre pump mod kit with the walbro GSL 392. For now any way until I get more $$$ and the urge to do more mods at a later date...

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
on a lower budget getting rid of air can be done with a cck kit and a hpx line .

you can run a harpoon , hutch mod, add a filter ,change over to the walbro if your pump is on its way out .

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Oh also what is the hpx line southmike mentions? Is it in addition to the CCk kit? Isn't that part of the kit?

#6 ·
That's pretty nice... What is the hpx line ? Isn't that part of it?
So you don't think I need to change my (working fine) stock fuel pump? Just do the cck kit, hutch mod, harpoon mod, and the pre filter? Don't you think adding the pre filter will put excessive strain on the stock pump?

#7 ·
Re:Fuel Mod ~ Which is best for me?

I haven't heard much talk about the cck. Is the cck kit reliable? Has anyone else used it? Has anyone had problems with it ?

Sounds like then the order of my upgrades should be :
- cck kit
- hutch mod/pre filter kit, with harpoon mod
- Then IF I need it (or not?):confused: replace the fuel pump w/ the walbro
Does that sound about right?
How will I know if I need the pump? I don't have a pressure gauge..?..

Also again I'm not trying to build a race truck here just make it better and efficient for highway use and towing

#8 ·
I have been running the ITP kit for about 1 1/2 years now. Put it on the early 99 with 230k on the original fuel pump. I have put 30k on it and no issues. I also did the CCk kit and have had no issuse for the last 15k with it.

#9 ·
That makes me feel much better. :D No problems with heat & the rubber hoses instead of them being the more pricey stainless braided hoses because of the heat... ???

How was the difference after each mod? More power, better response, quieter, better mpg?

This sounds like the route I want to go with.

Is that the order of the mods you did?

So the order of my upgrades should be :
- cck kit
- hutch mod/pre filter kit, with harpoon mod
and that should do it.??? I can handle that!

#11 ·
Keep your stock fuel pump. It has pleanty of flow for stock injectors and it's much more reliable than the Walbro IMHO.

If I were you I would do the pre pump mods (either buy a kit or get the items yourself) and a cross connect kit.

I put a HX line on my truck a long time ago and didn't see any change. I wouldn't waste your money on it.

#12 ·
Thanx racehauler,
So the stock pump "In your own opinion" is fine pulling thru the added pre filter?
I like the kit - cause everything is there laid out, all in one package and I don't have to go all over the place to get everything I need including (knowin me) forgetting stuff when in the middle of the job... The CCk kit is the same, right (everything I need in one pckg)?

#13 ·
I had a stock pump on my truck with stage 1 injectors pulling through a pre pump filter and it didn't drop any pressure so you should be fine there, assuming there isn't a problem with your fuel pump.

#14 ·
I've been running ITP's pre-pump kit for 2 years and with both the stock injectors & stage I's - I haven't had any issues with the fuel pump or maintaining fuel pressure with the added pre pump filter. Fuel pressure gauge holds steady.

The HPX line connects the driver side and passenger side High Pressure Oil Rails together - some notice a smoother idle, some don't. I've had it on for a few years and like the SS tubing of the ITP line over the hose type setups.

The fuel tank & pre pump kit removes the air in the fuel system and you will definitely hear a quieter idle. The stock setup tends to suck in some air, especially when you get below 1/4 tank.

If bigger injectors are in your futur I would suggest a regulated return, since that will remove the restrictions in the stock fuel system and supply equal fuel to all injectors.

Small world - I grew up in Rocky Point, Long Island - just East of Port Jefferson.

#15 ·
What is involved with installing the CCk kit? I have been interested in the regulated return for a while but haven't attempted to tackle it. The CCk kit sounds like something a little simpler. Does anyone have an install diagram for it?

#16 ·
:whs:

Does this kit come with complete detailed instructions and is all included for the install....? How difficult is it to install?

#17 ·
the hpx line is offered at a discount if you get the cck line from them...or was a while ago .
also I am not sure if more people make cck lines or just the one company
to me it is like a reg return without the reg..
the only warnings I have seen are people that over tighten some fittings on the heads and crack them .

some people say the hpx line is great others say they are usless..prob depends on how cranky you truck is.

you can probably get them to email you instructions to see how hard they are also price reg return kits from di , itp etc they vary from time to time.
but the cck kit should be cheaper and cure any cackle.

#18 ·
For $65 I think I can get the HPX to try first. (then the cck> then> pre pump mods). I like the SS tubing of the ITP HPX line over the hose type setups also. Seems like less of a risk if something happens and I get a leak, the SS seems more permanent, solid, not have to worry install.

I see ITP has two choices - Stock style turbo and H2E style turbo....
Which is for me? As far as my turbo goes, had replaced the impeler along with the big head with the Banks Power Pack. So do I get the Stock style turbo or the H2E style turbo.... ????

#19 ·
stock....the h2e is a totally different animal.
two things to note keep the plugs in your glove box incase the line leaks.
and put the fittings on first then the tube..one guy tried to do it in one shot and fought it for hours....on TDS
most of the people that note a difference in the hpx line seem to see it in the idle ..I planned on big oil so I haven't done it yet .
big oil ties the ports together as well so in theory you do not need a hpx line ...but at the price it still seems like a mod I should do since I only tested a big oil system.

#20 ·
:bow:
Thank you.
I think I'll order the HPX from ITP today.

#21 ·
Well, I just got/installed the S.S. HPX line on Monday. I installed it just like you & the directions say in about 5 -10 min. Making sure not to over tighten the fittings.
I do notice a bit smother / quieter idle! :redspotdance:
I ran it for a day & re-checked the fittings for leaks & tightness. The pass side was a bit wet & a little loose. I tightened it & all seem fine now!

I couldn't help myself - I ordered the CCK kit Tuesday night.
When the weather gets better/warmer (to drop the fuel tank), I'll order & install ITP's pre-pump kit & do the Harpoon mod while I'm in the tank....
I can't wait - Since I'm already seeing results.......

My album; past and present projects:http://www.flickr.com/gp/9617164@N07/70P5m7-mytmousef350

#22 ·
Did you already put the 203* thermostat in? If you didnt I would strongly reccomend NOT to, especially if your towing your camper alot. People can saw what they will, but I notice when I pull our skid loader, and come upto hills, the engine fan kicks on, alot. And when that baby kicks on, your basically at reduced power. Before I dropped a 203 stat in, I think it only ever came on 1 time. Now its at every hill, pulling the loader. I would switch mine back to the OEM stat, but I have final charge coolant in, and need to get a clean bucket to drain it, and get myself to not be lazy about it.

#23 ·
I think you have a fan clutch that is operating incorrectly. If you understand how a thermostat works then you would understand that you should not see that result.

My fan kicks on the same when towing with either the stock or 203 thermostat. Only time it ever kicks on is when it's HOT outside and I slow down below 35 - 40 MPH.

Maybe your 203 stat was not operating correctly...

#26 ·
mytmousef350 I was looking at your pics and I would highly suggest moving your egt probe to a location pre-turbo especially with any towing being done.

#28 ·
Best explained from the Dino Fuel website:

Cross Connect Kit (CCK) This kit is a simple and effective way to eliminate the deadhead fuel starvation issue that the 99-03 7.3 Fords are known for. From the factory the #8 injector is at the end of the fuel rail and follows #6 in the firing order. The effect is that #8 is always starved for fuel. And to compound this, because the rails are a deadhead, any air that gets in the fuel system has to go through the injectors. Previously the only way to eliminate this was with a costly and complex Regulated Return. This kit will cross connect the two normally plugged fuel ports by cylinders 1 and 8 equalizing the fuel pressure between the two fuel rails and effectively putting #8 in the middle of the fuel rail, not at the end. That fixes the fuel starvation issue. Then in the middle of the cross connect is a tie in to the return line through a .016 orifice that allows a minute(less than a gallon per hour) amount of fuel to pass through, and any air causght in the fuel rails. This kit only helps correct the factory design flaw and does not improve fuel flow of the OEM fuel system. Independent testing has confirmed a quieter engine and improved throttle response. ONLY FITS 1999-2003 7.3!!! Early 1999 models will require some clearnacing of the turbo exhaust collector flange due to slightly different turbo arrangement.
http://www.dinofuelalternatives.com/proddetail.php?prod=cck

#29 ·
Did anyone ever come up with some instructions on the CCK kit? I emailed DFA and never got a response from them. Just curious how hard this thing is to put in and about how much time.

#30 ·
I e-mailed them also, but I didn't get a response either. I guess when it comes I'll check out the directions that come with it & figure it out . I'll respond back with my progress...

#32 ·
Thanks., Yeah the Brown truck came yesterday. But now I'm dealing with a cracked injector cups (sleeves). :mad:That I must devert my attention too. http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=394467#poststop
Thanks to golfer and everyone @ Swamps Diesel for the info, parts and lending the tools, I'll be replacing the injector cups this weekend.

Ater that I will be back to look into installing my newly shipped CCK...

#33 ·
someone tell me where you can find the aih delete kit or did they just get a bolt from your local ace hardware?

#37 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.