Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Innovative Diesel's FICM finally installed

23K views 81 replies 26 participants last post by  shu873 
#1 ·
Talk about nice! I didn't get it complete until aprox 4pm today then took it out for only a 25-30mi test drive since I needed to change the oil out. The truck only had Eric's street tune in it and man could you tell the difference :D Throttle response is so much better that I found myself thinking of how it feels like I'm only pushing the throttle about half as far as I was without it for the same power. Turbo is working just right now to. I have to say I'm impressed! With that tune it seemed to throttle a lil slow right at the beginning then respond nicely- now it feels like the response is crisp, right at the beginning of the throttle all the way thru the RPMs. Just more power all the way across! Cannot wait to try her out with the Xtreme Street I've had and the Xtreme Race tune he wrote me last night:evil MPG testing will be on Tuesday when the temp's right up there within a couple degrees difference (79*F on 1/18/09 in ID's Street tune @ 15.4mpg and on this Tuesday 1/27/09 it's supposed to be 80*F) if the forcast holds true. For the MPG testing I'm running from Corpus Christi TX to San Antonio TX roundtrip with cruise set at the speed limit (70mph). Approximately 300mi on the Interstate.

All I can say is if anyone's considering having it done- DO IT;) Give Eric @ Innovative Diesel a call and he can hook you up! The best part about using Eric for the FICM tuning is that he's the one that most use for their SCT tunes anyways. Also- I'm just running the moderate FICM programming with stock injectors, AFE II Si, and dual 5" stacks straight from the stock turbo with 24,375mi on the odometer.

See less See more
#3 ·
15.4 mpg.....is this on the highway? On Eric's xtreme race i get between 20 and 22 mpg at 80 mph w/34" tall tires and the truck weighing in at nearly 9,000 lbs. 15 to 16 is my daily driving average. Do you have one of those funky strategies that doesn't do well for economy?

#4 ·
Actually yes that was on the hwy in a stock HD CC with stock tires (275/65-20)AND approximately 4 month old fuel. (whatever all that weighs since I've never weighed it) The only upgrade on it at the time was dual 5" stacks and SCT. I was running Eric's basic Street tune. Maybe your driving habits are more conservative than mine :shrug:

#8 ·
I have an 03 with the race FICM, and its unbelievable. I will be using this FICM on the Ranger and going with Erics street FICM on my truck. Its a very good mod. 20-22 MPG is waaaay above the norm. I am not calling BS, just saying your getting about 4-6 better than anyone else I have read or heard of.

#10 ·
20-22 mpg is pure highway miles. I filled up at a Pilot truckstop, got on I-95 and drove over 500 miles before getting off the exit and filling up again. I'm not really sure why a 4-6 mpg increase over daily driven averages is unbelievable, but that's not really my problem is it? Dave Whitmer claims 27 mpg with a 7.3 and you don't seem to have a problem with that.

I also average 12 mpg towing an 8,000 lb 30 ft fifth wheel camper and I get about 9 mpg towing a 16,000 lb gooseneck trailer.

By the way, I put 25,000 miles a year on a fleet vehicle for 13 years and always averaged 1 to 2 mpg better than any other like vehicle in the fleet. Now before you call BS on that one, let me tell you that we used a computer controlled fuel system that calculated fuel economy based on the miles we entered and the gallons distributed.

#13 ·
No panties and they aren't in a wad Tim! :D The claims that I posted are not very different from others posted here just about every day. I've only seen 22 the one time, beyond that when it's been mixed use I don't see any better than 19-20.

Anyway in keeping with the original subject of this thread, has anybody done any dyno testing before and after the FICM tuning? I hear quite a few seat of the pants opinions, but I don't recall seeing any quantifyable results.

#16 ·
After reading this all I can say is I can't wait for my FICM to be burned. I shipped it off to Eric about a month ago and still waiting patiently... I hope he gets back to burning them soon. I'm hoping for decent results in the mileage department.

#20 ·
eric had to send out his machine, ive been waiting to take my truck to him im kinda local but he stated to me that his machine had to get sent out to get re calibrated and it woulda been back mid Jan so i would believe its back by now he should be almost back up and running.

#23 ·
I want to do this mod very soon. Is there no other way to get it programmed other then sending one in and having it done there? And do I need to get new tunes made for it?
Thanks.

#24 ·
idk evidently the machine that plugs into the ficm he had to get something done to it. but if your driving the truck up to him he has something that plugs into your obd port to do it, if you send the ficm it self its a different set up evidently, this is what i was told by eric so he said i could come up or wait to send it until he gets his machine back

#26 ·
any ETA on the equiptment getting back to you Eric? I am ready for some new tunes and a FICM tune!!

#28 ·
I'm going to finish the software by the end of the month, that's my goal. Nothing will change in the program itself, just how I do it. I'll have it up and running in a week or so. I planned the downtime through the holidays and January since it's normally the slower time. Although with all the projects going on, I think I have less downtime! :D

#36 ·
I used PHP FICM tuning when I had mine done (ID wasn't doing them at the time). I ran the tuned FICM on an SCT tranny tune with no modules or power tunes. The truck ran pretty good with just the FICM stuff done. I did feel better pedal/turbo response than the stock file. Since reading more about the FICM, I think it actually needs a fuel system upgrade when used on a stock truck. When I got higher into the RPMs the motor seemed to flatten out while still increasing in speed. It wasn't pulling as hard as when I took off flattening out at like 50-60MPH at 2700+ RPMs. Once it broke past 60 it seemed to pull hard again. I took it as a fueling issue, I don't have a fuel PSI gauge so I can't say for certian.

I'd recommend bumping up the fuel system if you want to run a tuned FICM on a stock truck. Using a RR system or maybe a AirDog/Fass setup will make a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.