Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

where is the EGR valve??

22K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Stiletto6.0 
#1 ·
Im new at owning a diesel so be easy on me lol, but yeah im having problems and i have heard it enough to consider it a egr problem, just need to know where its located, pictures advice anything will do thanks

#3 ·
I can't seem to find any pictures online showing the location, but the valve is located just to the left of the intake elbow and just to the right of the alternator. Should be 2 small bolts holding it into the intake (10mm maybe I forget) and then the wiring harness will plug into the top of the valve.

Here is a little write up on cleaning the valve
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-12.php

It took me all of about 45 minutes to clean mine and mine was 110% plugged, I actually had to clean some before I found the upper opening in the valve. If yours is nearly this bad or you notice some pieces falling off and into the intake as you remove the valve then you should vacuum out the intake as best you can. For this I got a funnel and stuffed it onto the end of a shop vac hose and duct taped the two together and worked pretty good for cleaning the intake.

Prying out the valve will be a little tricky, its not the easiest to get out but a little patience and it will come out. Putting it back in is not bad, just push it down manually and then I drove it in the rest of the way with the screws, going about 1 full revolution each to make sure not to overstress and crack the valve.

#5 ·
yeah i cleaned it and it didnt do anything, now it has a really really rough idle and when i dont accelerate my engine makes a loud slapping noise or clicking if you will, almost as if one of the cylidars werent firing properly, still heavy grey smoke and no power

#11 ·
If this is so, you should look into getting rid of the EGR all together, Talk to Adam at First Coast Diesel Performance about a Full delete kit. I did mine and now i have NO EGR worries. Kits are priced well too, just a thought goodluck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.