1995 F350 7.3L Engine Swap - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Bremery
7.3L Collector
Member's Gallery

1995 F350 7.3L Engine Swap

I bought a 1995 F350 dump truck with the 7.3L Powerstroke back in May of 2012. The truck was pretty solid expect for the fact that the brakes were gone and the truck smoked at startup. Having a 1995 F250 with a solid running 7.3L, I figured I would be able to diagnose the problem and get it to stop smoking.
I replaced the injector O rings and check the resistance in the glow plugs to start. The old injector O rings were pretty decent, but they are under high pressure so it would be hard to tell by eye. By replacing them I felt I could eliminate them as a cause of the smoke. I replaced them, and it still smoked, but not as bad. During ‘field testing’ the truck died. I had to replace the injector pressure regulator (IPR) sensor. I replaced it and the truck started right up.
During a second round of ‘field testing’ the truck died again. This time it was a fuel issue. I replaced the fuel pump, in a parking lot, and the truck eventually started up after it was primed with fuel. The truck ran good, and passed inspection and diesel emissions. There was a noticeable difference between the F350 and my F250. My F250 feels like a rocket ship, where the F250 always dogged around and felt like it was going to die. I began to think it was related to injectors.
I decided to do some trouble shooting. I looked in and around the turbo for excess oil, and I did not see anything to make me think there was a major leak or anything. I did notice that the fins on the turbo were slightly bent, but the bearing was good and the turbo fan spun freely. I will mention now that the truck’s air box was completely smashed and held together with duct tape. (Not my doing…) I found a stock air box and the junk yard and swapped it into the truck.
After some thought, I decided to do a compression test. The compression overall was low. I also found some small debris in the top of the head. In my opinion, when the air box got smashed, it sucked small parts of plastic into the motor and caused some damage. I have not taken the heads off to take a look, but maybe after I pull the motor I will. After thinking about this for a little while, I decided to look for a replacement motor. I found a nice motor from a reputable guy that I have done business with and started to plan the swap.
After acquiring the motor, I decided to reseal as much stuff as possible while the motor is out and do as much preventative maintenance as I could. I also decided to install a new downpipe to replace the factory ‘pancake’ pipe. I’ll post some pictures of the swap as I move forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Bremery
7.3L Collector
Member's Gallery

Re: 1995 F350 7.3L Engine Swap

Made some progress. Got the front clip off and the tranny unbolted from the motor. Just need to unbolt the motor mounts and disconnect some harnesses and it should be ready to come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

Put a NEW pan on while the engine is out. And paint it with POR
Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 PM
97250HD
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

Wouldnt be a bad time to do oil cooler seals either

E99 f550 213k
- starts every morning...
Old 06-29-2013, 05:06 PM
old Smokey
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

I would replace the exhaust manifold bolts too. They tend to brake on the back of the manifold and cause a exhaust leak.
glowshift gauges, D60kp swap,
steering wheel swap, 6637 mod, Hydra chip, WW2,
calf fuel spring and BB mod
6.0 fan, cooler,
Pmf 2.25 rsk sd springs

78 f-150 turbo big block
Old 06-29-2013, 10:11 PM
old man dave
Terminator Nation
Member's Gallery

Also may be a good time to install a Tymar or 6637 type intake filter system.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 AM
Bremery
7.3L Collector
Member's Gallery

image.jpgI've got a new to me motor that I am going to go threw. The pan is solid, so I scraped it down and I am going to paint it with POR tomorrow. I have done this on my f250 and it has held up nicely. I am going to do the manifold bolts to the up pipes and one is already broken. I am going to look at the oil cooler seals tomorrow and figure out what I want to do. After getting the motor out this morning I spent most of the day degreasing the frame and preparing it for paint. I'm going to do some preventative maintenance while the motor is out. I can't figure out how to post multiple pics, so one will do for now.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Bremery
7.3L Collector
Member's Gallery

Everything is ready for paint, but all the prep took a lot longer than I thought. I got most of the parts I wanted to swap over to the new motor (fuel pump, fuel lines, vacuum pump, power steering pump, glow plugs, harnesses etc...) I hoping to do some painting tonight and hopefully put the new motor in this weekend.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Bremery
7.3L Collector
Member's Gallery

Got the motor in yesterday. I had a hard time getting the bolts that clamp the manifold to the up pipes off. I had to heat them up until they were cherry red and then I drove them out with a drift pin. (I thought I was going to have to do the manifolds, so I kind of have up and that wasted a lot of time). I got everything back together and put the motor back in the truck late yesterday afternoon. Hopefully get it back together a couple of nights after work this week, and get it up an running by the end of the week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 89
1992ccsbpsd, 6.4power, 94obsf350, 95az7.3, 96powerstroke96, 96stroker7.3, 97-7.3powerstroke, 97250HD, 97PSDiesel, 97_powerstroker, Baker82, bignastyGS, blacksmoke powerstroke, blauaugedragon, bonser16, bracketracer, Bradbilt, Bremery, Bugman, c69ss396, camd94234, Cbass, chris1978, cr250rgio, csp, cthom388, danielzink, dave jr, DCS1, Deererainman, djl95, djmb74, Dragon, dsinderson, Dwduggins, f350plow, farmall16, ferret, foxman, friskyjake, GASMAN6674, ghostang93, Glock 20, h8r, Iowa 73, jbrixen, Jcam88, Jeep1947, JI97PSD, Joshrabbitt14, Justincredible, madpogue, markfuga, Mike97f350, moesmokebbq, mooseinabox, Nclaneys, Nick spends, Nodge, OilBurner62, old man dave, old Smokey, pdizzleinmt, plzstrokeme, Powerstroke_T444E, Psd715, rentazx, rmckee242, robertyateman, rpm-inc, Sandduner, Shovel, stacked, stroker1994.5, SWVa, Techy, thirty two, tjctransport, toolmangary, umpalumpa1985, WhtMule, wildstang, williameub, Wojo, zpilgeram, zx6rrider