Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Problem after Red Head steering gear install

830 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  clydesdale 
#1 ·
I got my Red Head steering gear installed last Wednesday and it seemed to be a great improvement. Then Sunday I had a two hour round trip drive and I noticed that it seemed to stick and I found my self correcting left and right as I went down the one lane highway. I also noticed that when I turn and let go of the wheel at the end of my turn it does not want to return all the way to center and seems to stick and I end up finishing the turn manually. When I did the install I changed out both lines that went to the gear as well as the high pressure line from the power steering pump to the hydroboost. I also flushed the fluid and refilled it with new ATF. I am wondering if its the gear or if it could be something else causing my issue. I put it up on jack stands and turned the tires but I did not see anything that stood out as a problem to me. I also pulled the power steering cap off to verify fluid levels and it was full but I did not see any movement in there. Should the fluid be visably circulating? Could a bad power steering pump be causing my issues? Here are two videos I took. First one shows the wheel not centering after a turn and the second is when its on jack stands.

DSCN0638_zpsb8e638bf.mp4 Video by jasonposes | Photobucket

DSCN0642_zpsc275d60d.mp4 Video by jasonposes | Photobucket

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the input. As per my email from Red Head this morning, they are sending out another unit today. I will post up my results after I get the new one installed.

#4 ·
I had trouble with my red head gear, but they stood behind it, TWICE. So, I recommend them with caution. They did stand behind it, but I had one gear that lasted only 5k before it came loose and the next gear would not recover, as you are describing. The current replacement is fine and has been in there for a few years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.