Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Which lubes to use?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Sader 
#1 ·
I'm going to go through and change all the fluids on my 04 6.0L F350. I was wondering if there are any specific lubricants I should go with. I bought the truck with 130k on the clock and I don't know how long it's been since things have been changed so I plan on changing the coolant, engine oil, trans, tcase, front and rear diffs. If someone could spend a few minutes laying it down for me I'd appreciate it. I want to do it right the first time so I'd like to go with premium fluids. Once again. Any and all help is appreciated. NORM

#2 ·
subscribed to this as I am looking to do the same thing. I think I am going to go with Schaeffer's synthetic fluids through out, unless of course I hear otherwise.

#3 ·
The tranny uses MERCON SP and that's somehow remained a Ford only product. You can find it sold under the Motorcraft label at the dealership and some parts stores. Do not let anyone fool you into believing any other brand of fluid is rated Mercon SP or can be substituted as Mercon SP.

For the coolant you can use Zerex G-05 or the Motorcraft Gold.
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=10

All the rest can be top shelf synthetics of your choice. I prefer Mobil 1 and Valvoline Extreme 5w-40 for motor oil, Royal Purple for the diffs and t-case.

#4 ·
Schaeffer's Oil- motor oil and gear oils- So far I'm using 5w40 Supreme 9000 full synthetic motor oil in my 2006 6.0L and 5w20 Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus in my wife's 05 Escape. We both like the results we have gotten. My wife so much that she threatened bodily harm if I ever put anything other than the 7000 into her Escape :eek: We seriously cannot say enough good things about Schaeffer's- matter of fact I'm waiting on a 56qt order of it to be delivered :D Diffs will get Shaeffer's to when time to change it out;

Motorcraft Premium Gold Coolant. I'm going to be adding a pint of Schaeffer's #258 Clean & Cool to the coolant here in the next day or two when I remove the coolant overflow tank;

As Heavy said- only Motorcraft Mercon SP is ford rated for our trannys. Would something else work- I think it would BUT AGAIN ford only approves of their Mercon SP :doh:

#6 ·
Well guess I don't have to order any of the Schaeffer's tranny fluid then, just to be on the safe side.

surprised it took this long for one of these comments :eek:

I was thinking the same thing when I read the title though :evil

#7 ·
I you want to use a synthetic motor oil, ford has the 5w-40 and it is cheaper then getting Rotella. I got Rotella for my last oil change, becasue the local dealership didn't have it yet. I almost have 30000 miles on mine, will probably change the transmission fluid around 60000 or later.

#8 ·
My truck has had Amsoil Gear Oils, and Amsoil Universal ATF in it ever since I bought it. It "claims" to be Mercon SP Compatible. I have yet to have any tranny problems, and I'm at 130k.

#9 ·
I like Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5W-40, I am a recent convert from Dino Rotella last year, the truck idles smoother. I will switch the diffs when ready. The trans is only Mercon SP for whatever reason??

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.