Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

I installed Bilstein 5100 shocks, but...

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  cjetcat 
#1 ·
After 108K miles my rig still had the factory shocks, one of them was completely useless, so, I just replaced the 4 shocks in my 07 2wd. I put Bilstein 5100 series. I can say that this was a huge improvement in the ride quality, no more vibration in the highway and no more hopping. But... I don't know if this is normal or not... the suspension is too hard and I feel almost every bump or hole on the street (?) Is any of you having the same experience after installing Bilsteins? I have a friend with a new F150 and the ride is too soft. I realize that the F250 has harder suspension, but, are the Bilsteins really that hard? do they really work well off-road as they manufacturer says? (I haven't tried yet)

If anyone has experience about it please advise.
Thank you

#3 ·
I felt the same way when I installed mine. Everyone said how nice they were, but to me I felt more bumps on the road. Honestly it wasnt a huge deference to me. but I know what you mean when reffering to feeling more.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
your not alone
I hate the Bilstein ride

the Hype far outweighs the ride IMHO

I went with RSX9000 this time so I could have some adjustability

but you will probably get used to the ride or see if they have a 30 day " like your ride" like Rancho does

#5 ·
Thanks for your feedback, now I know it wasn't just me getting old. Next time I will follow your recommendation of the RSX9000. Just one more thing, yesterday I did a little off-road (short road in good shape) and I noticed that if you go fast these Bilsteins react a lot better, and you get a good ride, it's almost that they were made just for that. Just my perception.

I guess now I will have to do more off-road in order to take advantage of these shocks:ford:

#6 ·
I felt similar when I replaced mine. I added some sulastic shackles and its waaaay better now

#14 ·
I can't remember but it was a vendor. They were about 350 and I put them on when my wife was pregnant she said it was a much better ride.

#9 ·
i also switched to bilstein 5100s when i installed my 6' lift. I noticed a slight ride quality increase.. and speed bumps i felt them compress/ release smoother, IMHO . i was running 55psi, now i am running 38 psi and have never been happier.

#13 ·
I agree about the hype. The bilstein ride is to stiff for my liking as well.
This time I went with the rancho 7000's.

#15 ·
I thought the Bilstien 5100's were pretty harsh at first. Then I decided that they are just really good at keeping the tires planted on the road. Bumps are reacted quickly to and then they are over. After having them for a while I really like them.
There is a bump on an on-ramp to the interstate on my way to work that used to jump my rear tires really bad under heavy acceleration, with the Bilstiens the tires stay on the pavement.
I think any loss it ride quality is more than made up for in added control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.