Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

UNOH Pulling Truck Progress

5K views 51 replies 13 participants last post by  superdutyfarmer 
#1 ·
This is a project we have been working on for a while now, and we hope to get it done by the beginning of pulling season. I know it is a Dodge project, but that is what the school gave us to start with. It is a 91 Dodge that had a 318 gas motor in it, and we are swaping in a 24v. We have a p-pump and hopes of swapping that in, if we get a front cover and drive gear to accept it. Any suggestions and criticism appreciated. Thanks for any help.

Rodney

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow good to see you guys finally going some where with it. I was in at the start of the club and no one wanted to do anything besides bs bout whos truck was better.

#6 ·
:whs: I was there in the conception too, but not much got done. I guess getting it started was enough to get the ball rolling. Good to see it going somewhere

But I must say Sarge is a tool :pointlaugh: What he knows about diesel performance has nothing to apply with pickups or modern diesels. The instructors at that school are no more informed about today's diesel performance than most of the students at that school.

-Michael

#3 ·
Ya, the last president liked to bs alot, but now i am the president and I told Trammell that the only way that I would take over was if we were going to actually do something. One way or another I will see this thing down the track.

#4 ·
Well thats good. I couldnt stand Vince (I think that was his name) but I had a job and didnt have the time to be president. It also ticked me off when they decided to go with a truck as I had a component super stock chassis with roll cage tires brakes etc. lined up to be donated but they wanted no part in a tractor.

#5 ·
that sucks, being an ag student, and being the grandson of a NTPA champion in the superstocks, that would have been awesome. I love trucks and go fast, but there is something about a simple injection pump, turbos and that loping start with ether that turns me on.

#8 ·
Yep exactley especially since there is a 466 truck engine in the dyno room that I could have also gotten many parts for.

On a side note what tractor did your grandfather run?

#10 ·
the school is cool, but finding a job sucks. i actually got a job here on campus and sit at a computer being a night assistant in an office. but the motor is mostly stock because the school gave us a motor that was donated to them by cummins and then basically said that we are on our own. we have a couple bucks to our name, but nowhere nere enough to get started. we are working on a hope and a prayer right now.

#11 ·
my grandfather was Chester Snyder. at one time in the 70s and 80s he was one of the top tractors. he still has one, The Blue Mule, and the others i can't remember the names of, at the time he ran one, my grandmother ran one, and my great grandfather ran one all at the same time. he is good friends with forrestors pulling team here in PA

#12 ·
my grandfather was Chester Snyder. at one time in the 70s and 80s he was one of the top tractors. he still has one, The Blue Mule, and the others i can't remember the names of. he is good friends with forrestors pulling team here in PA
Cool. We have a light super that we run here in N.Y. but also helped Boxler's out a time or two with their tractor.

#16 ·
Is there a particular class that the truck is geared to be in?? There isn't much for sled pulling up there in that part of OH and bumper to bumper is ghey. I would suggest 2.6" class, an NV4500, get a Dana 80 in the rear and a Dana 60 in the front. Being that students are usually there for only 2-3 years tops it will be kinda hard to have a steady 'team' for this truck and sponsorships might be your best bet for funds.

I'll second the not being able to find a job, even back when the economy wan't in the pooper. Luckily you found an on campus job and you live in the dorms(from the look of your avatar). I wound out driving 2hr home every weekend to work when I was there.

-Michael

#17 ·
Boxlers exploded a block this year in bowling green. Had been running good till then though.

I have to agree with Michael, 2.6 would be a good class and dont have to spent huge ammounts of money.

#26 ·
Looks like a good project you've got going there!!! Keep up the good work, and bring it down to this part of the state for some hooks!!!

Maybe, with enough money/sponsors :poke::poke:it might make it to Bowling Green in the next year or two to compete in the new NTPA class...

Boxlers exploded a block this year in bowling green. Had been running good till then though.
What's the tractor? I watched every block that went at Bowling Green this year, so I'm sure I saw it...

#18 ·
ya, 2.6 or work stock is what we are looking at. we have a dana 80 for the rear to swap out, that is most likely our next project to accomplish now that we have the motor mounted. we don't have a tranny yet, but we would like to get a nv 4500 and switch the automatic controls out for the standard, but we don't have any of the parts to do so other than a new flywheel for the clutch.

#20 ·
we are actually looking at making up some diesel shirts that cover all three brands. just something that we think will sell, candy, and fruit and stuff like that have all been done here by other clubs. compD had a thread a couple days agao about good diesel sayings and we might try to steal them for the shirts. one kid here is a really good drawer and he has a really good design.

#23 ·
I offerd to donate all the metal for fab work to the chassis I had a tranny for the truck.all the wiring needed offerd to help build most of it had the P-pump for it everything front and rear to make it alot closer then it was when I was there. The damn gothic **** that was pesident whanted to make t-shirt WTF I told him and all of his Gothic buddys to go f-off when they said they dont need it, and plus the school dont care much about the Diesel program they just care about there race cars and drag teams.. I got kicked out last may I believe and havnt been back since. I think the school hase some to offer but they dont care about there student like they should they had my scedule so f'ed up it wasnt funny. If you see the A/C teacher the skinney one tell him steve said hi then if he dont remember tell him I was the one that drew on the board.LOL Is vince the short skinney guy? I think I know him LOL

sorry I had alot of bad memorys up thereLOL
hope all goes well with the build though

#29 ·
I didn't think that Vince was gothic :confused: But he didn't have much direction with it. Not saying that I could have done it better, I didn't have the means or want to, but if you can't do your job in a position then don't take it.

-Michael

#30 ·
Looks like a good project guys! I know first hand how difficult it can be to fund and operate a volunteer based collegiate race team. I had LOTS of experience with that when I was in college.

I did not attend school in Lima, but I am not all that far south of there. If you guys need some small help or some advice on the truck, or running a team like this, I would be willing to throw my 2 cents in.

Jason

#31 ·
Glad to see this an up and going project finally. We all know the school only cares about the hi-po flaggits.

PHP:
I was in at the start of the club and no one wanted to do anything besides bs bout whos truck was better.
Thats no joke, I only went to two meetings and thats all that happened at them. Then I realized the club was going nowhere in the time I was there.

PHP:
But I must say Sarge is a tool
Agreed. But I will say he does know his way around older stuff. He definitely needs to get with the times.

#32 ·
Sounds like things haven't changed a whole lot around there since I was around. They used that truck for garbage collection when I was around. If you all ever get T-shirts going, count me in on a couple. Don't be afraid to look for Alumni to help. You may not think so know, but there's been some smart SOB's that have gone through that Diesel program. I was there from 04-06 and don't regret a minute of it. Was not enough interest in a school pulling truck when I was around. Would love to come down down check it out someday. Best of luck to all of you.

P.S. Boroff is my heroe!!!

#33 ·
I was there in the beginning, like Michael said, it pretty much went no where, and that Vince kid was a tool! I actually kinda miss being down there for school, other than the lack of stuff to do, it was a blast! :D

If you guys get a pull together someday, I'd be up for coming down and making a hook, as I'm sure a few of the others would.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.