Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

My Steering Issues

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  galiv 
#1 ·
Just thought I would share my experience with my steering issues....

When Fabtech came out with their 4 link coil-over lift conversion for 99+ leaf spring trucks, they were the only kit out at that time. I purchased the kit from 4wheelparts and had them do the install. I asked the shop if they had experience installing these kits and they said they did. A 2 day job turned into 4 and it was obvious that the guy doing the job did not have any experience installing these conversion kits. What I did not know at the time was that this kit really needed a longer tie rod coupler to center the pitman arm. The guy who did the install just removed my steering wheel to re-center rather than do it right and order a longer $25 coupler to correctly center the pitman arm.

I guess I just got used to the crappy steering and drove it this way for a long time. I finally got fed up with it and decided to fix it once and for all. My steering box was getting sloppy and so were the tie rods. I replaced all the tie rods and ends with Moog parts. That helped a little but steering was still very sloppy. I decided I wanted to go with ram assist so I made an appointment with Lee Manufacturing to install a Saginaw P-Pump and a rebuilt steering box to accommodate the ram. Got that installed but they ran out of time to weld up the mounts for the ram. Fabtech has a bolt on bracket on the passenger side for the coil-over shock mount and drag link connection. The drag link connection is kicked over and prevents using a bolt on ram mount at the diff cover. This requires a custom diff cover such as the OUO piece or welding onto the stock cover to get the clearance needed for full ram extension.

This brings up another issue that I am kind of surprised about. Why did Fabtech design a suspension with a drag link that is 7.5" shorter than the steering tie rod? This creates bump steer when the suspension cycles up and down. Generally you want the drag link and tie rod coming off the pitman arm at the same angle and as close to the same length as possible to avoid bump steer. They could have designed their brackets to accomplish this. Now I have to pay for labor and material costs to resolve this or just deal with it.

To bring this to a close....just going with the Saginaw p pump and rebuilt steering box along with correct tie rod coupler has made a huge difference. Steering is fixed and the truck no longer wanders all over the place. Even without the ram installed as of yet the truck steers so much easier than it did with the stock power steering pump. This is with 37" tires. Can't wait to get the ram installed next week. Should have done this a long time ago. Truck is fun to drive again.

See less See more
#2 ·
I feel your pain, but I didn't wait as long to get mine corrected. I knew immediately after doing my coil-over conversion that I was likely going to need ram-assist. It makes driving with 38's very easy. My Ex tracks straight, doesn't wander, and no bumpsteer (I have the Full Traction conversion, not Fabtech). You'll appreciate the ram for sure.

#3 ·
This is my front end. Look at the difference in length on mine. I have zero bumpsteer. Also, go look at a dealership and look at stock trucks and you will notice the angles are not the same and the lengths are different. There is a lot to getting the steering correct on these trucks. 4-links are more difficult to setup on these trucks especially since the steering on your axle was not designed around it.

Are you running a high steer knuckle? If your not that would be a huge upgrade for you. Typically on an 8" lifted truck with 37's you wouldn't even need hydro assist. It is all about the proper steering geometry.

#4 ·
I don't have the crossover steering although that would be nice to have.
Your OUO lift is either 10 or 12" and needs it much more than my 8" lift.

My steering link and drag link are very close to the same angles. It was just mentioned to me by Lee Manufacturing that to eliminate bump steer, you want the links to be the same length. I don't notice any bump steer on the street. Maybe they are making much more out of it than necessary. I am not racing the truck so any bump steer I may have is minimal to none for street driving, towing, and occasional offroad use. They wanted to modify the bottom bracket to include the mount for the ram. Mounting it using their bolt on bracket to the diff cover is not an option as the Fabtech bracket for their drag link would interfere. Two options for the ram mount....modify the bottom drag link mount or weld on a mount directly to the stock diff cover. OUO makes a nice diff cover with ram mount but it is not cheap.

I don't have the ram mounted yet. Still waiting to get back over to Lee Manufacturing for them to change out the power steering sump and re-route the lines. Even without the ram, the new Saginaw p-pump and rebuilt steering box solved all my steering problems. Don't need the ram at this point but it will be nice with it. The ram assist will be doing most of the steering work and take the stress off the tie rods that are at an angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.