Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

silencer ring 03 6.0L

20K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  smokinstroker 
#1 ·
okay just to prevent anyone from actually going through the troubles of trying to take off the silencer ring on your turbo (specificly for an 03 engine) its no use, it can come off but it must be machined off, i spent three hours trying to fight with the little sucker, well actually, i got to the silencer no problem it was just putting the intake sleeves back on that stressed me out, but for anyone wondering its on the intake side of your turbo :)

#4 ·
i just left it, i didnt take it out, if i was going to have it out i would get a performance shop to do it so it would be done right, and as for performance i dont think it gives you any more increase in horse power or tourqe numbers, i think its just one of those thngs to make your turbo whistle louder, my friend has it on his 6.7 cummins and it sounds pretty good

#9 ·
if its even possible it wouldnt help with performance. i actually think it would hurt performance. as far as being louder, yes it should be but its not on the exhaust side. it would be louder on the intake side. if anyone has done it i am curious as to how it sounds.

#10 ·
ive heard of people doing it, but i think they said it sounded pretty much the same...i know when i was running the 65/88 comp on my stock turbo i dont think it whistled that much louded and it didnt have the silencer in it...

also ive heard of peole taking them out with like a small rotary tool i think...just grinding those tabs or somethin...?

#12 ·
I cut mine out on the lathe at work. It makes the intake whistle louder, you can only hear it outside the truck. It sounds alot better without the intake hose on though:D

#14 ·
If this is directed to me, no. I have never had any surge before or after cutting out the silencer. All it did was make the intake whistle a little louder.

#15 ·
well personally i have not heard on done on a powerstroke yet, wether it be a 7.3, 6.0 or a 6.4, my friend has it on his 6.7 cummins and that gave me the idea to see if i could remove mine, i researched it and there are guys saying on the late model 03 6.0L you can just pop it off, so i took the intake sleeves off (on the intake side of your turbo) and checked it out, and i have a 03 enigne so it looked like it had to be machined off, thats something i would have a shop do really, but i am also curious to hear what it would sound like, im runnin a 5'' turbo back and my turbo is already loud as hell i would love to here it louder tho...oh and smokinstrokr...thats a deadly pic you got bud!!! frame that lol and put it beside your bed next to the girlfrineds picture lol

#20 ·
lmao i luv how you just put a picture of the thing on here and say see...no ring lol, is that just an better turbo for your powerstroke? cuase it sure doesnt look like the stock on, what other mods do you gotta run to spin this beast???

#22 ·
It's a stock center section with a larger compressor housing and wheel. I believe they also clip the turbine side. It's probably best for larger injectors, but I've seen people running them on stock sticks with a tuner.

I've also heard you have to get the tuning just right to keep them from surging.

#23 ·
tuning wasnt bad on the turbo, runs great on stock or aftermarket stix..

i had it with my tuner exhaust intake all the supporting mods and it was great, definately worth the money. now with the stix it makes the truck a totally different vehicle compared to a truck with stix and stock turbo.

but only downfall is making it work with wastegates and twins :evil:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.