Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Mud Flaps...

16K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  NRose 
#1 ·
Hey, a buddy of mine is getting me some CAT mudflaps seeing I need some with the new lift, I was wondering how you guys attached yours? I know i've seen people makes some sort of bar that attaches to the hitch, I just wanted to see what you guys had in mind, thanks.

#2 ·
you could fab some kind of bracket up to attach to the frame, I think the ones that attach to the hitch look gay

#4 ·
its too late for this winter but I am really hoping to build some. I have yet to find any that I fully like, plus I want some for the front too least for during the winter months and such and fully removable if need be. I got a pretty good idea of how I want to do it but its gonna wait till warmer weather before any looks get taken.

Looks tough in the rear though to attach to anything but the hitch without getting in the way of the leaf springs. I think the closest thing I found to what I liked was from www.ironbullbumpers.com but personally I would like them to be up closer to the body of the truck and such. These ones look pretty good to, but I think once you start getting up to 35"+ tires they will start to rub on the tire and maybe wear through, http://www.duraflap.com/ford.html unless you could get some sort of a holder like on some dump trucks and stuff to push the bottom of the flap back from the tire.

#5 ·
easy way to mount mud flaps. under your truck just in front of the back bumper you can weld a sleeve or bar to the hitch and a second sleeve to a piece of the frame and slide a piece of tubing through it. you then can take and bolt the flaps to the tubing and it will sit just inside your bumper and wont wobble when you drive. if you do the sleeve way you can remove the flaps if you want, if you just do a piece of tubing it will be permanent. oh and it wont het in the way of oversized tires i run 35x12.50. i use this same set up for a set of camper tie downs and flaps. talk to me if you want more details

#6 ·
I think the ones that slip over the hitch look dumb as hell. I took some angle iron and welded it to the side of my hitch and they came out at the right angle to put a bolt through the hole at the end of the bumper. Not what I wanted to do. I wanted something a little fancier but I was able to do it quick and easy.

#17 ·
Newman, who's truck is that in your avitar??

#9 ·
I figured out a solution the other night, ill post some pics up soon, it looks great. I just took a long piece of square tubing, welded it onto the back of the hitch and part of the tow package deal, it really turned out nice.

#10 ·
Update for some of you. One of my mud flaps got ripped off today. I had the ones like the duraflaps. Backing my truck up today there was a ridge of snow from a plow about 12 inches high and when I was backing over it the snow pushed the mud flap into the tire and the tire ripped it off. It also broke part of the dually fender where the mud flap mounts to it. I wouldn't get them again. I would get something that bolts to the frame.

#11 ·
yea thats the worst, gotta keep them away from the tires. Had that happen to us a few times. Once it ripped a chunk out of the fiberglass dually fenders on our 92 cc dually :mad:

#12 ·
Same thing happened here. Luckly the chunk of fender that came off with the mud flap was the bottom of the fender and it is barely noticeable.

#13 ·
Well, I took this as a challenge. So here goes...........
First I visit the scrap pile

and found this

yeah man, Im on the way; -to my buddies. He has a pipe bender!

After a little cut/weld/hack/bend..........

We put a pallet of concrete in the back to check clearance and it looked ok. Used factory holes. The brackets are out for powdercoat now. i will post pics when they come back. Now if I could only find international mudflaps....................

#15 ·
Here is mine with some cat flaps but i dont think it would work on your truck because yours seems like it has a lot more lift....

Attachments

#16 ·
Yeah, im sitting at 9 now, but the flaps work pretty good, ill be on 44s this week though=).

#21 ·
Well the brackets are back from powdercoat......
And I found some flaps-

After a little trimming, here they are............

Theyre not exatly the flap I was looking for; as International flaps seem hard to come by. But Ill keep looking

#23 ·
8nout

Thats pretty clever design but your going to have the same issues as the kits that mount to the fenders. The fact that there no removable any time your 4 wheeling, in the snow, mud, sand anything that can push them against the tire it will rip them off. You just wont have the fender damage most get when it happens. I would cut your pipe that mounts to the frame, sleve it from the inside and drill it so you can put a pin in it and make it removable like the kits that I make.

#24 ·
I went with the DuraFlap for lifted trucks. Having them right behind the tire really protects my truck, not just my trailer. They are recommending no lower than 7" from the ground to prevent backing into parking guards and curbs. I left mine at 9" off the ground. They are still protecting my trailer well. If I am going off road I just remove them. It is only 3 bolts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.