Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

TURBOCHARGER BLOWN!!!!!!!

14K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  TimBoughtaF350 
#1 ·
I'm new to PSN, but a guy on another site said there is/was several discussions about aftermarket turbo companies.
My tuck is of course a 6.7L, it's a 2011 and it has 54,000 miles, but that won't really matter to a dealership. I have an H&S tuner installed.

Has anyone heard of a place to get them rebuilt?
I don't know what tears up when a turbo "blows up".

#3 ·
I seriously doubt it, with tuner installed even if I take it out there's an evidence of it I'm told. Plus I don't know if it tracks boost levels in the "black box" or not, if it does it would show 30-36 PSI. :eek:

I need to find a replacement and fast!! I'm borrowing my brothers expedition, thankfully he's an HVAC tech and gets a company vehicle.

Anybody know anything? I know I'll be doing the work so I need a company and anybody that knows about what to look for changing a turbocharger on these new 6.7L Scorpion engines.

#5 ·
#6 ·
#7 ·
I've heard a lot of good things from guys tuning them and running for a long time, and I knew the risk but was running it with limits set to not overboost. Now I'm finding many people have turbos blown even on stock trucks, I see a lot about it now. I've got 16,000 miles with mine tuned but really can't say why it failed, from what I have seen is it's not boost pressure but it's the bearings that hold the shaft in place.

Thanks Term 3 I'll take a look.

#8 ·
Okay, so I heard from someone at H&S tuners that a customer told him there is a TSB out for the 2011 turbos failing. He didn't know for a fact but that I should check into it. I've been googling but can't find how to find a list of recent TSB's.
Anybody know how or where to find these, or can get it from a friend? It would be better if I was armed with that before going to dealership.

#9 ·
SPE just came out with an after market kit, I know nothing about it but I just seen it on Facebook the other day, I would look into it

#10 ·
As a heavy eguipment mechanic 99% of turbo failures are bearings siezed up. And 99% of thats from shutting them down hot. The oil cooks in bearing housing causing blockage and no lube also we had trouble at real high alltitudeds were ehaust temps were so high it would burn oil up as it past through turbo. Or its adesighn problem with 6.7s.

#12 ·
Any time you tune that is nothing more than pouring more fuel and upping the boost.Of course some timming changes exhaust temps go up its heat that kills a turbo. all be it there sure can be bad turbos.Any way i work for a transit company we have 20 plus 7.3s 1 6.0 few duramaxes and sprinters. any were from 100 thousand to 200 thousand on the odomiter god knows what tha aculy miles are sittin idling can add a thousand hours of that easy. have not lost 1turbo ever.

#14 ·
in reference to the hot temps not helping the turbos....dont the EGTs run way cooler on a tuned truck? (assuming its deleted) and also as far as the oil sitting too hot on shut downs...in the car tuner world, you run turbo timers with big turbo setups to allow the oil to cool down....I tested this with the 6.7. pulled up to my destination and let the truck idle for 5 minutes. Oil temp dropped maybe 3-5 degrees at most. id say thats not enough to 'save' a bearing.

mind you all of this has no relevance to the 67 if what eric says is true, and unfortunately i believe he is correct.

#19 ·
Several people have confirmed a lot of what is here that I read just now. I have confirmed with several source the 6.7 turbo for 2011 & 2012 are not very good at all.

After pulling at the track or the 5th wheel, and just really standing on the truck for a while, I do let it run for a minute or so, or either drive easy for 5 minutes before shutting down. I agree that it's only the EGT temps that go down so that is good for me, the oil temp never goes down once it's up around the 190-200 range.

I did learn from my friend back in the day of his 2 SVO Mustang's, he always let's it sit and idle no matter running hard or not, just longer if he had just ran it hard.

#22 ·
I don't really know where these turbos come from, but china is my very first guess. I've been to harbor freight and seen the general level of quality and price of the things they sell. Some of the stuff is great. A lot is just junk that I wouldn't take if it was free.

These turbos seem a lot like something I would find on the shelves at harbor freight.

The holset turbos that came on my cummins powered trucks NEVER ever had a problem in hundreds of thousands of miles driving with the boost way higher than stock or what they were designed for.

A borg warner s363 will replace this garbage excuse for a turbo. Those were not designed by a kindergartner using crayons on crate paper.

#24 ·
Is anybody running a aftermarket on theirs?
im thinking preventative measures, or at least have somthing in mind if / when mine says goodbye.
other than OEM of course.

#27 ·
Some one mentioned letting truck idle for 5 min and oil temp only went down 5 degrees its not the oil temp that needs to cool its that 1499 degree exhaust side the exhaust is whats cooling it down at idle ive seen them shut off so hot the oil cooks solid in bearing housing locking up the turbo coking is the term i believe

#29 ·
Ok, but how long until I can buy one? My truck sits broken as I type this, and next month I will buy somebody's kit to get it back on the road. Need another tester? :D I will be towing some extremely heavy loads in the near future, so it will get a work out.

#33 ·
This price is for the first 10 kits only!!
$3999.99- Kit includes the following:
~Log Style Exhaust Manifolds
~Turbo Oil Feed/ Drain Lines
~IC Piping
~Custom Air Intake Set up
~Cast Turbo of your choice
~S366/74/.91 for Race Applications
~S363/68/.83 for Towing/ Street Applications
Custom downpipe included

#34 ·
Wow that's interesting on the turbo. Didn't know they would do that instead of use one that's already designed.

#35 ·
Honeywell is one of my main customers, so I know how there "system" works LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.